The benefit of more "tubes"?
May 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
I have been looking to buy a tube amplifier lately, and have seen a "more is better" tendency. And i started wondering, what is the benefit of having more tubes on an amplifier? For example going from a model with 2, to a model with 6 tubes? I know each type of tube affects the sound greatly, but quantity and combinations?
I'm currently having the Music Angel 6P1 mini in mind - Anyone tried this?

Best regards:
Victor Halgaard

May 18, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 2
That's a great question.

There isn't necessarily a benefit to more tubes. It all lies in the topology of the circuit. One design I'll (eventually) build just uses one tube in each channel and one for rectifying AC. It has output transformers and is a good design. You could add more tubes, but I don't think it would improve anything.

On the other hand, you could use several tubes to handle various functions. If it is well-designed, it will be a good amp.

Personally, I prefer fewer tubes and more transformers. That increases the price, but tubes are wear items and I'd rather retube an amp with three or four tubes than one with lots of tubes.

The æesthetic aspect plays into this, too. Lots of tubes can look nice. I appreciate that, but they're not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back