The Beauty of Todays Portable Gear
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joelby

1000+ Head-Fier
Time to take a breather from the constant debating in portable audio. Share some thoughts on how tech has improved your music experience on the go.

Here's mine:

My earliest experience with portable audio had me packing a generic CD player and some big Koss phones of which I cannot recall the model. These were my high school days, 9-10 years ago. I listened to rap almost exclusively during that period. I'd pack 1-2 CDs each day. Maybe 30 tracks to select from. All the while I'd struggle to get the most volume out of the system while avoiding the bass distortion that ultimately came with this rig. Did portable headphone amps even exist back then?

Fast forward to today.

I'm working a night shift. It's 4:00 AM. At my side: 160gb Ipod Classic, Total Bithead and SR-325is (great in a quiet workplace). The classic is loaded with almost 19,000 songs. Quite the advancement from my high school days! Sure, these are mp3s. But are the marginal sq differences of 320 mp3s really going to effect my enjoyment at this point? NO! I'm going to revel in the fact that I can listen to the latest Riverside album, then swing into some Sasha and maybe follow that with Avalanche by Matt Good. Hell, I even threw in some Rammstein earlier for good measure. All of it sounding far better than I could have ever imagined 10 years ago...
atsmile.gif

The choices seem endless with such a DAP. We could argue until the cows come home over miniscule details in sq, but it cannot be argued that the amount of storage on this little brick is mind blowingly awesome! In the end, this has a huge impact on my portable audio experience. After all, variety is the spice of life.

Of course, being able to wield more funds towards the likes of the shiny Grados or my AT woodies helps a bunch. However, I'm sure if I could find those same Koss headphones from back in the day I'd still be leagues ahead of where I was. After all, I do rock the cheapo KSC75s from time to time!

I'm very lucky that I can pour on the tunes at work. I can't imagine it getting any better than this. My portable rig is like a little island oasis of musical bliss away from home. It connects me to the music and keeps the flame burning. This is what it's all about, folks!

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 8
Oh yea man, that's exactly how I feel every day. I live in a small town so there isn't really anything to do, and since a) we have 50 minutes in lunch and b) I don't eat the school lunch (I'm in high school), I just listen to my rig in the library.

I'm using a T51 to RSA Tomahawk and Triple.Fis and couldn't be happier. As you said, my portable oasis of sound
smily_headphones1.gif
As soon as I start listening I'm completely immersed in the music and people constantly see me bumping my head to the music; whether it be hardcore, acoustic, classical, or rap/hip hop.

Sadly I can't carry as much music as you can (I think around 300 files (music is a mix between FLAC and 320kbs) but I don't need that much as I'm alway synching my player up when I get home to swap files or charge the battery so it's all good. Next year when I'm off to college I know I'll start to really, really appreciate the convenience of having my portable setup.

I can't think of what my life would be like if I didn't find this hobby 2 years ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Couldn't agree more how much we have to be grateful for.

For me it's a longer timeframe so I've moved from:

Dolby C encoded Metal Cassettes in a topline Sony Walkman through Sony earbuds (early 1980s)

to:

FLAC files in an iRiver H140 (80G in ATM) - Maxxed QUSP Modded iBassoD10 - Picollino cable JH13Pros

True isolated Full HiFi music envelope wherever I happen to be.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 8
^That's what I'm talking about.

I plan to have the equivalent in 10 years or so after I get out of college and have a good job and everything.... money to spare
smily_headphones1.gif

And the best part? "Hopefully" It can only get better
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 8
When I was in HS the CDP was just emerging. I bought a third gen Yamaha CDP just after graduating. PCDP was either not available or too expensive. I used a "high-end" Panasonic portable cassette w/ HP. It sounded pretty darn good.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 8
I had a Panasonic CDP, a Headroom Cosmic Supreme for a portable HP amp and an Ety ER4S for travel. Fast forward...CDP - gone, Cosmic - retired, ER4S - still alive and well on my iBasso D10/iRiver iHP-120 Rockboxed w/ 32gb SDHC.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would go nut in no time if i'm forced to listen to the subway noise for 2+hours everyday and ear plugs dont do the trick! portable audio(especially iems) for the win!

I hated listening to iBuds in the car. That's the reason I'm probably ONLY going to be getting isolating IEMs or customs in the future
smily_headphones1.gif

Amazing sound anywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back