The Beatles Remasters Review and Discussion Thread
Sep 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by cl5160316 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i remember reading something about 10,000 copies of mono? not sure. i think they sound pretty awesome! so excited!

The new figure, according to an EMI source is 40,000 to 50,000

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 195
This monumental re-release of the most important and influential music of the 20th Century is a bitter-sweet thing for me. It marks so many profound passages. The very form of music itself, as well as the way in which we bought and received music, the way music was packaged and sold have changed, and this re-release marks the end of multiple eras.

Historians will say this release marks the headstone for the CD format. That's obvious enough. If CD was truly as "perfect" as it was originally sold to us ("perfect sound forever", oh how naiive we were), this would truly be a tragedy. I would love to be able to refuse to mourn the death of the 16/44.1 format. Good riddance. If only the replacements were better than the pathetic CD format, but it seems the immediate future is MP3, a compromised version of a compromised format. Between MP3 and the LOUDNESS race in mastering that has afflicted us for the last 15 years, destroying dynamic range, audiophiles like us who care have had nowhere to go and nothing to listen to when it comes to modern music. The digital era, despite its many promises, so far has unfolded to be a complete travesty for music lovers. Convenience at the cost of quality. Lowest common-denominator sound quality.

This release also marks the end of the local music store; a magical place full of wonderful music, the scene of so many chance meetings with future friends and rites of passage. It marks the end of the era when you dug through the crates to find a gem. When you were exposed to crazy music on the shop floor played by indifferent dudes behind the counter who were in the know and looked down their noses at you unless you surprised them by bringing up some worthy piece of music to purchase with your peasant sheckels.

You couldn't compare prices on-line, so you paid what they were asking, and you got excited when you found that rare CD from the latest UK band that was stored in the special locked up cabinet that you had no access to unless the snobby clerks would deign to get out the keys and open it up for you to have a look.

That's how it was for me back in the late 80's at the famous Lou's Records in Encinitas, CA. All my XTC CDs were imports that had to be had from the special locked off area. The famously snobby clerks (dressed in the latest hipster FU clothes) would do you a favor and allow you to fondle these unbelievably rare and expensive CDs you couldn't buy anywhere else for a few moments, and unless you were a serious buyer, they would rip them out of your hands and put them back.

Oh, how I hated the staff at Lou's Records at the time, but back I went because they were the place to buy the music I wanted. Now I'm nostalgic, even though it sounds absurd to newer generations. It was an adventure into hostile territory for normal middle-class guys like me with an interest in off-beat music.

More significantly, and to this observer, more sadly, it marks the end of the album as delivery medium for music. The album as an art form is kaput, finished, over.

Yeah, I'm going to sound like an old disgruntled geezer to some, but there is a lot to be said for the album as an art form. How do cut up Pink Floyd's The Wall and not end up missing the whole point of thing?
Yes, today's teens are accustomed to having everything at their fingertips and instantly available. Attention spans have been shaved down to a few nano-seconds.

How many of your favorite artists or what are recognized as being the greatest artists and songs of the rock era, can withstand the 3-second iPod test? You listen to 3 seconds of the Beatles Within You Without You and then you hit next. I mean, what was that crazy crap?

No, I don't get or understand the modern musical era, nor do I participate in any of the ways most modern people seem to get their music. I'm an offcial geezer now who dosn't appreciate or like 99.9% of modern so-called rock 'n roll. At one point in time, this would just be a simple passage one had to make as one got older; however I believe, and so do so many of the people steeped so deeply in this form of music, that rock 'n roll is dead and has been for some time. The future of rock music is the Australian Pink Floyd show, a re-creation of a real thing by actors. "Phony Beatlemania" as Joe Strummer once complained will be all that is left; a re-creation of something real for rich people deciding between fish or chicken. It's all just a kitschy video game to young people today, who are so cynical, they believe the Beatles are just some gandpa's "boy-band", foisted onto the dim public by corporations. Sorry, dudes, this all pre-dated all that junk.

Just like the Jazz Age ultimately ended and that music only exists in small scale and attended by people looking back on a by-gone era, so too, is rock finished.

Rock and roll was long dead in the USA after Elvis joined the military and Buddy Holly et al died in that plane crash. The Beatles were essentially a retro band in slicked up pompadours doing covers of black music from a by-gone age. To them, several years behind in Europe, it seemed fresh and alive. Rock would have died were it not for the Beatles. The entirety of the modern era and modern culture would never have happaned without the Beatles.

Most critically, rock and roll would have remained a dead art if it were not for the Beatles. No, I'm not so naiive this re-release of the Beatles catalogue will re-inspire or somehow revive rock 'n roll. I do think it will officially mark the end. I think kids will listen to it ironically, for kitsch value primarily. The future belongs to ring-tones and pitch-corrected novelty singers who manage to get the public's attention for 15 minutes.

So, FWIW, this old geezer breathes a heavy sigh, and feels a strong sense of melancholy at the same time he gets to delight in the ability to hear these old gems polished up and allowed to shine this one last time.

We never will, and haven't since heard their like again...
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 195
I read that whole post, and though I agree with a little of what you're saying, I didn't see any evidence nor understand your line of thinking in saying that this release marks the end of so many things.

I still go to local music stores and many are thriving. Artists still care about albums, if you know where to look, and there is still a large base of people willing to work in order to like their music. I can think of, just off the top of my head, 30-40 good albums released this year that I bought and have really enjoyed. On top of that, there are plenty of albums from the past ten years that are way up there in my all time favorites. That may be an issue of taste, but I don't agree that things are as bleak as you make them out to be.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 195
I picked up Please Please Me, Rubber Soul, & Magical Mystery Tour. The obvious improvment is the low end...bass and drums but as I concentrate on the whole sound the guitars emerge with much more definition, sadly, I feel the vocals are pretty much the same. All in all I am very happy with the results and now have a catalog to fill. I am tempted to get a mono set (whished they sold them singularly) Two thumbs up!!!!

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #21 of 195
Having heard all of the albums in stereo and about half of the mono's I am of the opinion that these releases are an improvement. Not a HUGE improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

The stereo albums definitely have a tweaked sound to them - especially where bass and drums are concerned. The compression that was used was mostly likely used to bring up the bass and drums as well.

The mono albums have some tweaks to them in the case of fixing a click or pop here and there but that is it. They sound like wrongly transferred flat transfers to me. Why wrong? The sound cold and a bit thin. I know some of the master tapes sound this way and that they require a tubed machine for playback with some complimentary EQ to get them to shine. HOWEVER, I do appreciate the fact they are flat transfers as this allows us to play the mastering engineer role very well. With these transfers, we can tweak them to our hearts delight without most of the drawbacks of modern day remasters.

Here is a small clip of what I did:

Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

I do think the guys at Abbey Road did a great job and I hope the industry takes note on how a proper release should be done. The packaging on the mono box is glorious. The sound on both boxes is great. I wish they would remix some of the albums for their next project.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #22 of 195
WARNING: This program contains mature subject matter and is not suitable for miners..

Mark, that entire post was an absolute classic, perfect. But this snippet nails it for me..

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, today's teens are accustomed to having everything at their fingertips and instantly available. Attention spans have been shaved down to a few nano-seconds. (

I always appreciated things more when some kind of effort was required to get them. I remember going out in the cold to shovel driveways, in order to get $4.00, then go get a bus to go out to K-Mart and buy Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. Today, one can just dial music down on their iPhone. Sadly, it's not restricted to just music. It's all disposable and of no value....relationships, jobs, health, food, family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drums and bass really come alive in these remasters...

Don't they always? I love it when, after 45 years, certain segments of the music suddenly 'come alive'. These re-issues should sound like the original Parlophone UK LP's (sans the LP's shortcomings), nothing more, nothing less. If they don't, this is a failure. Digitally manipulated garbage.

In the brick & mortars, the boxes were gone within an hour. Anybody with half a brain knew this would happen. Textbook 2009 marketing; create a demand and deliberately not meet it.

For some reason, I got 'With The Beatles' and 'Sgt Peppers'. SP sounds pretty good, WTB (in stereo) still sounds like crap. Vocals on one side, music on the other. What genius thought that would be a cool idea? Have to go with mono on the first four but I'm not ponying up that kind of dough to buy the whole catalogue in mono. Envision a lot of folk who received their box(s) and ran to their players to hear that cough or squeaky kick drum pedal or piano stool and within a few minutes, suddenly the "event" is over, and it's post partum depression. Now what? I still have all my LP's and I'm convinced that the early Beatles sounds best coming out of AM radio.

Again, hurrah to Mark L for telling it like it is and waxing nostalgic. Thankfully we can still savour what still works for us as individuals within our beliefs and principals. Imagine living in a country or society where you had to conform by mandatory adoption of all things technology-current? I'd sooner spear myself in the gut with a machete.

On a more positive, moving-forward (man I HATE that expression!) note, when will they do this type of remaster/reissue thing for

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #23 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always appreciated things more when some kind of effort was required to get them. I remember going out in the cold to shovel driveways, in order to get $4.00, then go get a bus to go out to K-Mart and buy Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. Today, one can just dial music down on their iPhone. Sadly, it's not restricted to just music. It's all disposable and of no value....relationships, jobs, health, food, family.

". . . relationships, jobs, . . . family": I think that what we start to feel is that these were things that we used to "make" or "earn." Now, somehow, they're the 'givens' of middle-class life, which we take on as marginal entitlements, knowing that they probably won't last, ready to move on to something better when an opportunity presents itself. If we're ruled by natural human 'interests' then we won't settle for anything less than "the best that we can get." "The best you can get" becomes the axiom of enlightened reason.

What do you do when you've lived through fifteen years of listening to advertisers and pundits explain that an mp3 player is "the best you can get?" I bought four. Now that lps, cds, tapes, and all other forms of physical media are effectively anachronisms, will we all eventually concur that high-quality downloads (probably with severely restrictive user-rights) are "the best you can get" and so the bottom line of what is acceptable?

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #24 of 195
Wow I hope I am not as pissed off and jaded when I get old, its goddmn depressing. Listen to top 40 and you want to blow your brains out ok I get it, but if you haven't listened to any of the amazing indie rock that has come out in the last 15 years, even just in the last 3, then stop complaining your version of rock is dead, and keep this crap in its own thread. </Rant>

Picked up Abbey Road for the pops and got the White Album for myself. It is win-win since I don't own any Beatles cd's myself as it stands. The albums sound head and shoulders above what I remember the originals sounding like. Drums are crisper, the vocal separation is superb, I am satisfied that they got the job done.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I hope I am not as pissed off and jaded when I get old, its goddmn depressing.

Tell me about it. Just reading that has me feeling depressed, and for no reason, since I think there's great music out now.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 195
I'm old (57) and have to agree (about there being some great stuff out there these days). I mean, check the charts when the Beatles were rising, some pretty lame stuff back then too. My first real listen to the Beatles took place at my friend Marty's house, circa 1963, singing along with Meet the Beatles while shaking our heads (and imaginary moptops) just like Paul and John. Forget fancy hi-fi systems, we listened on one of those very crappy "console" stereos from Magnavox or some such.

Anyway, it was a great time, and the reissue brings it all back for me, not depresses me. What depresses me is the red and blue state divide in the USA, but that's another story.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 195
Um this thread is getting off topic. Either way I picked up Sgt. Peppers and the White Album today and they both sound fantastic. I spent some time comparing them to the 87 versions I also have and I have to agree with what most people here are saying. The bass is more prominent (which was lacking on the 87 releases) and the overall sound is also a little brighter with more air around the instruments, the latter part giving the feeling of a better sound-stage.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #29 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This monumental re-release of the most important and influential music of the 20th Century is.... SNIP

Wow.. great start, but talk about going off topic..

I got the Stereo Box set today and I'm very pleased with the sound of it.. Unlike a lot of Head-FIers I grew up on the Stereo Mixes (yeah my dad was a gadget freak, we always had the newest Hi-Fi gear in the house), so I'm not at all interested in the Mono Version, nor do I think my old recordings of the Vinyl could be in any way better than the remasters, taken from the Original Master tapes. Heh, as if!

I'm glad they didn't boost the volume too much, I can't detect any clipping at all so far, and the dynamic range is there too.

Not 100% crazy about the packaging, but I'll only be ripping them once then putting them away for safe storage. Something to hand down to my son when he's old enough.

Abbey Road sounds awesome, the best I've ever heard it. If you're going to buy one album this year, make it Abbey Road.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 195
Offtopic: Anybody who says there isnt any good music nowadays either is stuck in the past or isnt looking hard enough. Modern music is not limited to Top40 crap. Sooo much beautiful music out there not even a blip on Billboard's radar. Granted no one has since matched the level attained by The Beatles (and none probably ever will), but neither is it all gloom and doom as imagined by some.

On topic: Wow, i spent the whole night rediscovering my favorite band. The Stereo remixes are a definite, yet subtle improvement on the 1987 mixes. Granted, the average lstener listening to it on ibuds, or transmitted via fm transmitter sent to stock car speakers will barely hear any improvement. But for those with even a moderately mid-fi set up, they will enjoy crisper details, improved bass, snappier drums and cymbals, improved vocals and instrument separation all around.

Ill agree with an earlier poster that the biggest revelation for me was She Leaving Home. Just wow, on my HF-2's it was like Paul was right beside me. It sounds sooo good and clear and puts 99% of albums released nowadays (in terms of recording clarity) to shame, and to think it was recorded 32 years ago. Just wow. This was the stereo remixes...havent even touched the mono versions yet....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back