The Beatles or The Stones? Cast your vote
Jul 15, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #76 of 120
Apart from Queen, The Beatles are the most overrated band on the planet.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #77 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyalfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apart from Queen, The Beatles are the most overrated band on the planet.

What are your reasons? First please establish a base-line for under-rated, properly/fully-rated, and over-rated. Then apply your criteria to Queen, then to The Beatles. Support all assertions with proper citations and full bibliography.

This counts as 1/3 your grade.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #78 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your reasons? First please establish a base-line for under-rated, properly/fully-rated, and over-rated. Then apply your criteria to Queen, then to The Beatles. Support all assertions with proper citations and full bibliography.

Never mind. He failed allready.

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #79 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Beatles started off with a few big selling, catchy, jingle jangle pop songs 45 years ago then discovered LSD and jumped on the hippy band wagon. They weren’t bad, but then they were as brilliant as some folks make out either.

What I find slightly disturbing is the almost religious devotion some people have for the band and their recordings. Appreciating and enjoying their music is one thing, but to worship them as gods is taking things a little too far. They sold a load of records for sure, but so did Take That. I don’t hear Reach Out or Beautiful World spoken about in the same reverential tones as The White Album or Sgt Pepper.

It’s all just my opinion, of course. Personally, the Sex Pistols had more influence on my life than the Beatles or any other band, but then I’m not claiming Johnny Rotten as the messiah.

Maybe it's a generation thing.

Sorry if this causes offence, that is not my intention. I'm just saying what I think, that’s all.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #80 of 120
Never really cared for Beatles, find it boring, but I think Stones rock, so my vote goes to them.

Jul 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #81 of 120
Quote:

The Beatles started off with a few big selling, catchy, jingle jangle pop songs 45 years ago then discovered LSD and jumped on the hippy band wagon. They weren’t bad, but then they were as brilliant as some folks make out either.

What I find slightly disturbing is the almost religious devotion some people have for the band and their recordings. Appreciating and enjoying their music is one thing, but to worship them as gods is taking things a little too far. They sold a load of records for sure, but so did Take That. I don’t hear Reach Out or Beautiful World spoken about in the same reverential tones as The White Album or Sgt Pepper.

It’s all just my opinion, of course. Personally, the Sex Pistols had more influence on my life than the Beatles or any other band, but then I’m not claiming Johnny Rotten as the messiah.

Maybe it's a generation thing.

Sorry if this causes offence, that is not my intention. I'm just saying what I think, that’s all.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

it's not a generational thing.....i was born long after The Beatles disbanded, as were most of my friends......we are all well aware of The Beatles' unparalleled genius in the pop rock field. It's not that they tried some psychedelic drugs and joined the times......they took the influences around them and created serious art out of something that was not yet serious art. Sgt Pepper is the LSD stuff you're referring to and while that is a masterwork, its not mine ore any one else I know favorite Beatle album. I don't see how Queen is overrated either.....but certainly The Beatles are not, and I suspect that hundreds of years from now when Rock and Roll music is all but a remnant of the 20th and 21st centuries...... The Beatles may be the only highly remembered act of the times, because taken out of the Rock context their music (their composition) can be readapted into any form and still remain great.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #82 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......they took the influences around them and created serious art out of something that was not yet serious art.

Sorry…beg to differ. I'm one of those crazy people who thinks rock (say, key Beatles-influence Buddy Holly) was "serious art" before the '60s.

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #83 of 120
Quote:

I'm just saying what I think, that’s all.

We all have a right to our opinion; we have no right whatsoever to the truth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #84 of 120
Used to love the beatles when was younger then got into the Stones couple years back......then relistened to all the beatles stuff again recently and realised why was into the beatles in the first place!!
Then got better headphones and started picking up subtle nuances in both the stones and the beatles!!
Now??
I'm just confused!!

Jul 15, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #85 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry…beg to differ. I'm one of those crazy people who thinks rock (say, key Beatles-influence Buddy Holly) was "serious art" before the '60s.

Buddy Holly is awesome..........but as far i define serious art, he isn't.

Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Chuck Berry.....all great songs....

but the songs aren't melodically advanced....maybe for the time they were, but The Beatles songs are still advanced......Take a song like Because or In My Life or Blackbird and you have a melody that doesn't age at all.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #86 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used to love the beatles when was younger then got into the Stones couple years back......then relistened to all the beatles stuff again recently and realised why was into the beatles in the first place!!
Then got better headphones and started picking up subtle nuances in both the stones and the beatles!!
Now??
I'm just confused!!

GEEEZ...it ain't a zero-sum game. Just enjoy each and live a good life.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #88 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buddy Holly is awesome..........but as far i define serious art, he isn't.

Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Chuck Berry.....all great songs....

but the songs aren't melodically advanced....maybe for the time they were, but The Beatles songs are still advanced......Take a song like Because or In My Life or Blackbird and you have a melody that doesn't age at all.

Well, I said I was "crazy," right? That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
cool.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #89 of 120
The Stones are like U2 - a bunch of blokes who just like to play together, and who manage to make some great music. I love them both, as well as some of the other bands mentioned like Led Zep or The Who.

However... The Beatles are still in a class by themselves, imo. I've actually tried to figure out why that is for me, and the best thing I can come up with is that their run was so short, and yet their music matured incredibly during their run. With the exception of WTB and PPM, every other album is very different than the previous one, and yet still so engaging. They were the template for bands like U2 that needed to "re-invent" themselves to stay relevant. The Beatles are art - like a Picasso going through his different artistic periods, constantly pushing the envelope.

And for for young ones out there, I would not judge The Beatles on the current CD catalogue, as their sound is quite bad. In that respect, remastered albums from the Stones blow The Beatles away, Try to find an MSFL-mastered Beatles LP or CD before you judge. Or, maybe George Martin got the job done right on the upcoming remastering job that is yet to be released.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #90 of 120
Both great bands and perhaps the two most influential bands in the history of Rock music.

To me, the Beatles evolved from the early days and their rock and roll roots to the introspective albums of Rubber Soul, Revolver, Srg Peppers etc. The Stones remained the Stones. That difference is why I vote for the Beatles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back