The Beatles Noob: Best album to start with?
May 12, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
I'm loving their music, never looked at it before, but I've been listening to such songs as Hey Jude, Let It Be, and Hello Goodbye.  In terms of quality (in both SQ and content) what is the best album to look for for my first purchase?  Particularly for someone who has fallen in love with someone who doesn't show the same interest back. 

Thanks!

May 12, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 50
You should pick up a copy of the Mono Box Set while they're still available. Ok it's not exactly cheap at around $200 but you get all of their albums the way they were recorded, in mono, and most people seem to agree that the mastering job was done well. It's already out of production so get one while you still can - most sources I've seen still have copies. The best price I've seen is $189.99 from Amazon with free shipping.

May 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 50
Can't afford that.  Any other suggestions?

May 12, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 50
Abby Road. 

Depends on what your favorite music is, and what side of the Beatles you're likely to enjoy the best.  But Abbey Road is pretty amazing, their most psychadelic rocked out album, and probably the one that has aged the best in that it feels the most modern to me still. 

But if you are more into the pop songwriting, then The White Album is a great one to start with.

May 12, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 50

Quote:
Particularly for someone who has fallen in love with someone who doesn't show the same interest back.   

I suggest you start with Rubber Soul (arguably the start of their truely innovative period and with some lovely reflective songs, like Norwegian Wood, which may suit your mood). Then get continue in chronological order and watch them grow.

Abbey Road is great, but following their progression is greater imo. 

May 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 50
I have to agree with Asr, the mono box set is the best introduction. I also agree with rhythedevils, Abbey Road and The Beatles (aka The White Album) are two of their best releases. On a budget and with your specific situation, I3eyond, you might enjoy Revolver with songs like Eleanor Rigby and For No One. Rubber Soul would also be a great choice.

May 12, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 50
I'd recommend Abbey Road, that's when they are at their very best, otherwise you can try Rubber Soul, it's kind of a transition album between the more classical stuff of their early days and the more innovative albums of their later production.

Am I the only one to prefer the stereo box?

May 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 50
That's what I'd recommend too:

Quote:
I suggest you start with Rubber Soul (arguably the start of their truely innovative period and with some lovely reflective songs, like Norwegian Wood, which may suit your mood). Then get continue in chronological order and watch them grow.

Abbey Road is great, but following their progression is greater imo. 

May 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 50
mastertapes bootlegs sound far better than any comercial release...woops, did I just say that?
wink.gif

May 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 50
you can also get the blue compilation...this is how got into the beatles.
but if albums is the talk here,I would also recommend abbey road and sgt. peppers as good melodic albums to start with.  although they are all good and you will certainly miss something in each one of them if you don't get them,songs like "strawberry fields","penny lane" etc. which are a MUST.    that's the reason I suggeested getting a collection to start with.

May 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 50
Rubber Soul and Revolver are the two must have Beatles albums. I like their early records a lot. The later stuff is kind of overproduced and goofy for my adult tastes. I liked them when I was a kid.

May 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 50

Quote:
Abbey Road and The Beatles (aka The White Album) are two of their best releases.

The White Album was padded like crazy with stuff that belonged on the cutting room floor. It would have made a decent single disk.

May 12, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 50

Quote:
The White Album was padded like crazy with stuff that belonged on the cutting room floor. It would have made a decent single disk.

Right..i would certainly not recommend it as one of the first to get. although some songs like "blackbird" are worth getting the whole album for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back