The Bealtes - new Box set out for per-order now !!!
Jul 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #46 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be fun; what do you think is?

I sound like the ultra fanboy saying this.....but every single Beatles official release is basically a perfect album to me...... Can anyone really improve Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Please Please Me, not to mention Revolver, Abbey Road, White Album....

You don't have to love every song to love an album.......the Beatles didn't release one album which shouldn't be in every accomplished music library. Please Please Me has to be their first great achievement.......it's more continuously good than any rock and roll record had ever been up until that point...... On that single record you get I saw Her Standing There, Please Please Me, PS I Love You, Twist And Shout, Do You Want To Know A Secret, Love Me Do (which is not one of my favorites but very beloved), not to mention my favorite pre-Rubber Soul beatles song Ask Me Why....... and There's A Place is a killer tune as well.....

That one album offers 2 number one hits and neither of them are as famous as Twist and Shout or I Saw Her Standing there........how many records can claim to be as consistent.........very few artists have a record as consistently great as Please Please Me, you can probably count them on two hands, maybe 3.....I'll try to name who I think does.......I do feel that Please Please Me is a stronger achievement then their second album With The Beatles and the reason is, unlike Please Please Me, the best songs of the sessions which led to With The Beatles were intentionally left off the album in favor of being exclusive singles.....these songs are...."I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You" and "From Me To You"......The interesting thing which never gets talked about here is the fact that in addition to creating probably the greatest cycle of albums of all bands, the Beatles undoubtedly had the best singles of the entire AM radio era.

A Hard Day's Night is a soundtrack of sorts, but has some additional material. A Hard Day's Night is to me, the ultimate Beatles album of the Beatlemania period.......the whole first side gets constant radio play. But the second side is more interesting to me.

Beatles For Sale is my favorite pre-Rubber Soul album by a mile because I think it demonstrates their best musicianship and homage to the blues in a very fashionable way. I also think No Reply and I'm A Loser are two of Lennon's best Beatles songs period. People credit the Byrds and Dylan with the folk rock revolution, but in truth I'm A Loser was released before Dylan went electric and before the Byrds were even a known entity. Yes Dylan's influence is obvious on that track, but kudos to Lennon for being the first artist to really delve into folk-rock territory.

Help! is to me both great and weak at the same time. It probably is my least favorite pre-Rubber Soul album by them despite it having some of their most beloved and famous material. The title track and Yesterday are about as wellknown as a song can be. Ticket To Ride is a beautiful track. I feel like Tell Me What You See is a bit of a throw away and I'm not nuts about Act Naturally nor Dizzy Miss Lizzy.

You can clearly feel an artistic shift beginning with Rubber Soul. Revolver is to me a psychedelic evolution of Rubber Soul, but i prefer Rubber Soul just a bit because it's a bit more personal. Sgt Pepper is probably their greatest achievement in terms of creating an album that is a statement of art. It's not my favorite, but I think it's amongst the 20 greatest records I've ever heard. The White Album appears to be the most flawed of all the Beatles albums, maybe Let It Be beats it out. The White Album to me is the most honest record the Beatles would ever make and covers the most musical territory. Not all the tracks are pristine, but the record plays the only way it can, and the writing (particularly Paul's writing for me) on this record makes the White Album my favorite album of all time, with nothing as a close second...........a far second would be Pet Sounds for me. Abbey Road is their most polished work and it's obvious that head-fiers would adore the sonic sheen of that record which sounds vastly more modern than the other Beatles albums. Let It Be has the beatles at a complete split demonstrating some of their best and worst stuff all at the same time. It's an album which I think is ultimately the worst Beatles album, BUT has moments which make it better than more consistent albums.

Just in terms of personal taste I would rank my appreciation of Beatles albums in this order......

1. The White Album
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. Revolver
5. Sgt Pepper
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. Let It Be
8. Beatles For Sale
9. Please Please Me
10. Hard Day's Night
11. With The Beatles
12. Help!

if Yellow Submarine counted as an album I would put it last.......AND if the Past Masters Volume 1 & 2 were counted as an album (which I think is really not fair) it would probably rank at number 6.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #47 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. The White Album
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. Revolver
5. Sgt Pepper
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. Let It Be
8. Beatles For Sale
9. Please Please Me
10. Hard Day's Night
11. With The Beatles
12. Help!

if Yellow Submarine counted as an album I would put it last.......AND if the Past Masters Volume 1 & 2 were counted as an album (which I think is really not fair) it would probably rank at number 6.

I am surprised that you placed "Let it be" as high as 7 but I do like the album a lot- Phil Spector and all. I am just glad that it existed! Had it been made the way it was intented, like a "Get Back"; a live album or "Let it be Naked", we would have missed a very interesting record.
The White Album is my favourte too.
As good as it is, Abbey Road wouldn't be my second one. It just feels a little too different from the rest (nevermind Let it be!)
I like them all really-including the US albums and even the BBC recordings. It is all part of pop music history.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 189
For me, HDN is one of their top 3...If I Fell, Hard Days night, Cant buy me love,And I love her....come on!
GIve HDN some love!

My top 3(like trying to rank your children):
With the Beatles
Hard Days Night
Past Masters vol 2(Rain,Dont let me down, Hey Jude,Lady Madonna)

Just pre-ordered my mono box

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #49 of 189
Quote:

I sound like the ultra fanboy saying this.....but every single Beatles official release is basically a perfect album to me...... Can anyone really improve Hard Day's Night, Beatles For Sale, Please Please Me, not to mention Revolver, Abbey Road, White Album....

<SNIP>

Just in terms of personal taste I would rank my appreciation of Beatles albums in this order......

1. The White Album
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. Revolver
5. Sgt Pepper
6. Magical Mystery Tour
7. Let It Be
8. Beatles For Sale
9. Please Please Me
10. Hard Day's Night
11. With The Beatles
12. Help!

Excellent post. Count me as a fanboi, too, I guess. I think I have owned them all, in just about every iteration released. I still have my Mobile Fidelity UHQR of Sgt. Pepper somewhere, even though I no longer play vinyl. I like your list. I agree it is like trying to rank your children. I would probably have to tie Revolver & Rubber Soul for top spot. But I really love them all. I get a ton of pleasure out of listening to PPM and WTB. Let It Be is my least favorite, and I think I like Help! a bit more than you, despite not caring much for Yesterday. For me, Ticket to Ride is nearly a perfect song. MMT I truly enjoy; great thematic compilation of songs. I ebb and flow on the White Album. Some great stuff there, but some tunes I don't care for as much on some occasions. HDN is excellent. I guess, like you, I see each album as wonderful. There aren't many bands I can say that about.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #50 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I think I like Help! a bit more than you, despite not caring much for Yesterday.

Just want to clear up.....I adore the Help album, but it's definitely their weakest in my eyes.............because I see it as a step backwards from Beatles For Sale. Let It Be is also a huge step backwards, but the great material on it saves it. Help has some great material no doubt, but it doesn't play as well as Hard Day's Night thats for sure, and Beatles For Sale is more serious to me.

Jul 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #51 of 189
Quote:

Just want to clear up.....I adore the Help album, but it's definitely their weakest in my eyes.............because I see it as a step backwards from Beatles For Sale. Let It Be is also a huge step backwards, but the great material on it saves it. Help has some great material no doubt, but it doesn't play as well as Hard Day's Night thats for sure, and Beatles For Sale is more serious to me.

I agree BFS is more serious; I think maybe something about Help!'s movie association contributes to the negative comparison [though not a problem for HDN], but cuts like Night Before, TTR, YGLTG, You Like Me Too Much, Hide Your Love Away, and I've Just Seen A Face [wow, what a song; can't wait to hear the remaster] are outstanding. When I was a kid, the Capitol U.S. version of Rubber Soul contained I've Just Seen A Face, but missed other stuff. Still, even in that version, it was quite an album. I love a lot of stuff on BFS--I Don't Want to Spoil the Party, Eight Days a Week, Words of Love, Every Little Thing--but the cuts I like less push it down a notch for me. But I agree HDN ranks above above Help!.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #55 of 189
I just pre-ordered the mono box set.

At first I thought about getting only the stereo box set, but then I figured I would probably regret not ordering the mono box set when I had the chance. I'm going to buy the stereo set from a local store if I can find one, but otherwise I'll have to just order it from Amazon as well. I'm hoping that the stereo set isn't as limited as the mono set, so that there isn't any immediate rush to get it before it's sold out for good.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #56 of 189
TJ, I was thinking the same thing, knowing that I would want to compare some of the discs. I ad planned to wait, but then I decided last night to go ahead and pre-order the stereo set as well.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #57 of 189
Yeah, I might also order the stereo set soon because I really want to own both box sets, but I haven't desided yet. I'm hoping that my local stores will have a few sets available on the release day, but it would be safer to just order the stereo set now.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #58 of 189
I think I've gotten lazy, and Amazon Prime has made it too easy. Since I often don't know where I'll be that far ahead of time, I just take the easy way and pre-order whatever I think I might want. If things change, or I decide to buy locally, I can always cancel the pre-order.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #60 of 189
I agree. I think the mono sets are going to be gone in a flash. I pre-ordered it as soon as it was listed. But part of me is concerned about there being enough to fill pre-order demand.

I know, 10,000 sounds like a lot...but it really isn't. This is The Beatles after all.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back