The battle of North America begins...Canada vs United States
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #62 of 70
hats off to canada. i'm still really proud of our guys for the effort and awesome game though!

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be happy to share my copy of it, but not sure how, since it's 40 gigs for the 6-hour NBC broadcast...

I don't want the 6-hour broadcast. only the 2-2 goal and the 3-2 goal.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #64 of 70
I loved the closing ceremony last night. Costas states that he doesn't think the Canadian mens hockey team will be able to attend because they have to fly back to their NHL teams in the States because some of them have games tonight. It is just like the summer games. We may not have the finest athletes in the world but we train them.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Congrats to Team Canada, and to Canada's 30 million hockey fans.

Congrats to Team USA. You were still the best team in the series, playing with the most heart, consistently and effectively. Congrats to Ron Wilson, perhaps the biggest unsung hero of the series.

Of course it's easy to be sour grapes, but I'm sure glad that the NHL has stuck with indefinite 5-on-5 overtime to settle their important games. The olympic/international style of deciding games by hockey-related exercises (4-on-4, shootouts, etc), is certainly more expedient, but there's probably half a dozen teams that are going to be better than the US squad at those exercises. (And of course the young legs of the US team would have the bigger advantage in a 4th or 5th period of full strength.)

No offense, but a lot less than that. Canada is a multicultural country and many people here are not cheering for Canada but for the countries they come from. And many don't even care for the Olympics. So the actual number of hockey fans in Canada that cheer for team Canada is a very small percentage of the population. International competitions are mostly about money and political power have little to do with patriotism IMO.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but a lot less than that.

Of course, and I could see how it may have come off as lame stereotyping. Personally I love the game (and can't stand football here -- the most overhyped thing in the universe), and just have to wonder how many here would even have noticed if the final game went the other way.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #67 of 70
Great game. Worthy of the world stage, for sure.

Hats off to Finland for bouncing back for bronze after that disappointing semi final game vs the states. Nods to Slovakia for a brilliant effort.

Now, back to watching the Oilers lose...

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

just have to wonder how many here would even have noticed if the final game went the other way.

Not near as many as in Canada. Consider all of the different sports and then all of the pro and collegiate teams for each sport that we have to choose from to support in the US.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Of course, and I could see how it may have come off as lame stereotyping. Personally I love the game (and can't stand football here -- the most overhyped thing in the universe), and just have to wonder how many here would even have noticed if the final game went the other way.

I think it would be more noticed if it went the other way. Both America and Canada have been among the best contenders for best ice Hockey team in the olympics.

It would have been a BIGGER upset though, had America won and since there are more Americans in the forums for sure (and the world), it would have been much bigger.

Comparing medals based on population, on training, on anything but performance in someways makes sense, but mostly it doesn't. Because if you wanted to do that, Norway with 4 million people would show the world who is boss every single winter olympics.

It isn't about fans. Canada will always be good at ice hockey for a variety of reasons: it fits the weather, there are a lot of people who play - they train in Canada from the time they are small and then make money in the USA, we like to use our hands and feet, ice looks great under a coat of blood, and lastly, the colours of ice and blood jive with the maple leaf.

If USA beat Canada with its hegemony of ice hockey history and BST, it would have made much, much bigger news.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #70 of 70
ronnielee54;6442419 said:
I loved the closing ceremony last night. Costas states that he doesn't think the Canadian mens hockey team will be able to attend because they have to fly back to their NHL teams in the States because some of them have games tonight. It is just like the summer games. We may not have the finest athletes in the world but we train them.[/QUOTE]

You mean they had to fly back to be with their Canadian or American NHL teams. The same applied to the USA players. Phil Kessel plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the USA coach - Ron Wilson - coaches the Leafs. Ryan Kesler plays for the Vancouver Canucks. Some players chose to hang around to attend the closing ceremonies and others didn't (for both teams).

As far as training your USA players, the majority of them would have played their junior hockey careers in the various Canadian junior leagues across Canada. That's where most of their development would have taken place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back