The Basshead Club
Nov 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #8,086 of 11,286
  Anyone listened to a Bravo V3 amp? The three EQ sliders look interesting.. I wonder what kind of bass boost it can provide? Especially that it looks like a fader (instead of the usual "bass boost switch").

I have it. It's actually a pretty good amp, and the EQ does work.

The bass slider does provide a significant boost, but it boosts more on 50-100hz bass compared to subbass. Still, if your source doesn't have EQ, it's very convenient and works. If you are good with upgrading amp parts like capacitors, you can really make it shine.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #8,087 of 11,286
Well, these are my thoughts.

The Aune T1 is a valve DAC, with a solid state headphone amp amp built in. It's not technically a "valve amp", because the tube is actually in the USB DAC stage.

IF, however, you use the "Line out" on the back, you could route the DAC straight into the Bravo V3 - which would make it a tube DAC, into a tube amp (with the added bonus of EQ).

Is that a really silly idea? It seems to make sense in my currently drunken head. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #8,088 of 11,286
  Well, these are my thoughts.

The Aune T1 is a valve DAC, with a solid state headphone amp amp built in. It's not technically a "valve amp", because the tube is actually in the USB DAC stage.

IF, however, you use the "Line out" on the back, you could route the DAC straight into the Bravo V3 - which would make it a tube DAC, into a tube amp (with the added bonus of EQ).

Is that a really silly idea? It seems to make sense in my currently drunken head. 

Well, I'll just have to test for you later. You do lose some power, as the headphone amp of the T1 is stronger. 1000mW vs 500mW

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #8,089 of 11,286
  Well, I'll just have to test for you later. You do lose some power, as the headphone amp of the T1 is stronger. 1000mW vs 500mW

This is a great point, I hadn't even looked at the difference in specs. Is it worth it for the valve goodness AND eq? Let me know, when you know (please).

beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #8,090 of 11,286
  +1

"Basshead" for non-audiophiles is just about the farty boom boom. The bassy headphones experienced members talk about on these threads are in a completely different league. Clean and clear boom boom in all its true glory. 

The extremely bassy cans have their place in my collection. I have heard/experienced quite a lot of basshead cans, and I must say, there is no real single can that I could use all the time. My first basshead can was the PRO700MK2, and I really loved it (and still do). Since then, I have bought/listened to many bassy cans, and whilst I appreciate clean, punchy bass, I also love the wall of bass effect that certain headphones (e.g. XB500, LP) produce.

In short, I don't think I will be progressing to the "Only Clean/Clear Bass for Me" club anytime soon. I'm still very much in love with having my ears tickled to abandon any of my HUGE BASS cans.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #8,091 of 11,286

The extremely bassy cans have their place in my collection. I have heard/experienced quite a lot of basshead cans, and I must say, there is no real single can that I could use all the time. My first basshead can was the PRO700MK2, and I really loved it (and still do). Since then, I have bought/listened to many bassy cans, and whilst I appreciate clean, punchy bass, I also love the wall of bass effect that certain headphones (e.g. XB500, LP) produce.

In short, I don't think I will be progressing to the "Only Clean/Clear Bass for Me" club anytime soon. I'm still very much in love with having my ears tickled to abandon any of my HUGE BASS cans.

Me too, but at the end of the day I'm drifting towards the Clean/Clear end of the spectrum. I sold my XB700 when it began... to have to much bass for me. Since then I find my self diggin the bass outa my Dt 880 and Modded W1000x more and more... BUT for Edm I do like a little extra :3 all within the clean and clear realm though... hoping once I get my Wood Back D2k and do some Driver mods and Pad swaps. It'll be my bass head can till I can snatch a TH900! Or LCD XC 

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8,092 of 11,286
  Me too, but at the end of the day I'm drifting towards the Clean/Clear end of the spectrum. I sold my XB700 when it began... to have to much bass for me.

I had the same experience.  I sold my XB700 not due to the bass quantity but because of the lack of clarity throughout the rest of the spectrum.

My bass-heavy cans still have a place in my collection for an occasional listen but I have definitely drifted towards headphones with better imaging and sound stage characteristics.  I tend to prefer a dark but even temperament and an open sound stage.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #8,093 of 11,286
Well, after a little 7 day break from headphone listening (My tinnitus started getting bad, and my ears needed to heal up, been using a 2.1 system since then), I finally decided it's time to throw them back on. My goodness. It's like listening to a new headphone. I can never get tired of them. If I didn't screw around with my Pro700MKII way back when, who knows what i'd be listening to by now. Probably M-100s. I know what to be thankful for this coming Thanksgiving 
tongue.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #8,094 of 11,286
  Well, after a little 7 day break from headphone listening (My tinnitus started getting bad, and my ears needed to heal up, been using a 2.1 system since then), I finally decided it's time to throw them back on. My goodness. It's like listening to a new headphone. I can never get tired of them. If I didn't screw around with my Pro700MKII way back when, who knows what i'd be listening to by now. Probably M-100s. I know what to be thankful for this coming Thanksgiving 
tongue.gif

I forget you live in SC... there is a NC meet coming up but there are now about 5 confirmed SC members! You ought to head over to the SC meet thread :D I'd love to get a chance to hear those! 

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8,095 of 11,286
Well this is definitely the place for me to be, gotta get that bass, but right now I'm overwhelmed with all of the choices on the table and I've been trying to read all 540 pages, but I was looking for some guidance.

So no surprise I'm looking for a headphone with bass, without spending /too/ much on them, I was thinking around the 300~ range, but if it's worth it, I might be willing to spend more. 

I'm looking for a headphone that has that deep rumble, make my ears vibrate, have them almost fall off my head there's so much bass. I have a pair of Monster Turbine Pro golds that I really like the sound signature of in the bass aspects, the highs do tend to get a little muddy, but I love the nice warm sound of them. 

I also owned the Sony MDR-X10s for a hot minute, just sold them off because they just weren't enough bass that I was /hoping/ for. 

I'm currently looking at:

Beyeredynamic DT 770, 80ohms. (the 80ohms give the best bass right?)

Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2

[size=small]AKG K550[/size]

[size=small]Sennheiser Momentum[/size]

[size=small]and if I can be convinced (or convince myself xD) to spend the money, [/size]

[size=small]Denon AHD2000[/size]

[size=small]any and all input would be much appreciated, I really need to get my bass-fix! I'm currently going through withdrawals with no larger headphones! [/size]

also, I have either the NuForce uDac2 or the Pyle somethin somethin, basically a rebranded Fiio E7 at my disposal, as well as a Galaxy Note 3 as my audio source (which I just learned can play FLAC files, woot woot )

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #8,097 of 11,286
  Well this is definitely the place for me to be, gotta get that bass, but right now I'm overwhelmed with all of the choices on the table and I've been trying to read all 540 pages, but I was looking for some guidance.
  So no surprise I'm looking for a headphone with bass, without spending /too/ much on them, I was thinking around the 300~ range, but if it's worth it, I might be willing to spend more. 
  I'm looking for a headphone that has that deep rumble, make my ears vibrate, have them almost fall off my head there's so much bass. I have a pair of Monster Turbine Pro golds that I really like the sound signature of in the bass aspects, the highs do tend to get a little muddy, but I love the nice warm sound of them. 
  I also owned the Sony MDR-X10s for a hot minute, just sold them off because they just weren't enough bass that I was /hoping/ for. 

[size=small]and if I can be convinced (or convince myself xD) to spend the money, [/size]

[size=small]any and all input would be much appreciated, I really need to get my bass-fix! I'm currently going through withdrawals with no larger headphones! [/size]

also, I have either the NuForce uDac2 or the Pyle somethin somethin, basically a rebranded Fiio E7 at my disposal, as well as a Galaxy Note 3 as my audio source (which I just learned can play FLAC files, woot woot )

To help refine your list, I would take the K550 off your list as the bass is on the weak side and is anemic without a good seal.  Since highs are important to you, the PRO700MK2 won't meet your needs.  Also, I would choose the V-Moda M-100 and NAD HP50 over Momentum.  

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #8,098 of 11,286

Well, I can tell you that the amp you have will determine how much bass you will have. I have an E7, and it's a pretty weak amp. While you get a bit of bass with the bass setting on 3, it's definitely not the quantity that your average basshead gets. For starters, I'd take a look at something like the FiiO E17. Is it the best amp for bass? No, but it's a great starter, it can decently power all of the headphones mentioned in your list, and it's very satisfactory for a nice ear massage. I have a habit of recommending that Amp/DAC, and it's for good reason. It's the jack of all trades audio unit. It serves a great baseline for further expansion on your audio equipment, it supports all of the inputs/outputs you need. I'm still surprised they sell this thing for $140. 

As for which headphones to get, I wouldn't get the Pro700MKIIs. Although they can make your ears tingle (I've owned them before), they're very uncomfortable, and they may be too dark for some. The DT770 Pro80 will be a good start,especially since you can find them pretty cheap sometimes. An eBay seller is selling them for $170 right now, which is one of the cheapest prices I've seen for a new condition DT770/80. They're usually sitting around $180-220. 

This is my opinion, but bass and comfort go hand in hand. If you don't have a comfortable headphone, you can't enjoy a good ear massage. That's the main reason why I'm recommending the DT770s. I haven't heard them, but I know they're comfortable, and they have satisfactory bass performance, according to the reviews I've read. You just have to watch out for the treble spike. 

So, if you get the E17 for $140, and the DT770s I linked above for $170, you're looking at a cost of $310, which is around your range. I will tell you now, no headphone/amp combo in the $300 range will make the headphones almost fall off you head with bass. You will get your ear tingle and a deep rumble, but not much beyond that. 

If you want some ear raping, then I'd suggest you save up your money for a more powerful amp, after getting the E17. As for what to get, Idk. I'm satisfied with using speaker outputs on my receiver modified to accept headphones. It's probably going to be the last "headphone" amp I'll ever get, unless I break it. If it does, I'll probably get a power amp 
tongue.gif

I just reviewed an IEM that has the BEST bass I've heard in an IEM.

I want one!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/astrotec-ax-60-hybrid-iem/reviews/9925

Nice review! I'm surprised they fit a dual BA and a dynamic in such a small chassis. I'm waiting to see some reviews pop up on the Sony XBA-H3, though. The 16mm LCP dynamic driver paired with dual BAs should sound great, and it should have a lot of bass potential.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #8,099 of 11,286

This or get your self a Sony XB 1000, do a simple Mod on them and they should knock ur face off with Sub Bass, how ever I just got a D2k that should be in my hands by the end of the Month :/, got it from a fellow in the Netherlands... paid for her 4 days ago and hoping to her back from My Seller and from Martin who will b doing repairs on my unit before it is sent to me... 

That said, I Plan to MarkL mod the drivers and slap Alpha Pads on it as well... Oh and my D2k has a Cocobolo Custom Wood Back and a D7k Cable Terminated with a 4pin Xlr q.Q' [cost me about $700 ish when all is said and done] so... my impressions might need to be taken with a grain of salt assuming all the upgrades my D2k has... non the less the Sound Signiture should be very much the same 

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #8,100 of 11,286
Can I add some suggestions to this thread?

The new SRH1540 deserves a mention in here. Also, the iFi Micro iCAN amplifier with it's bass and 3D switches....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back