The Basshead Club
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #7,636 of 11,286
I got them before I really discovered Head-Fi.

Harvey Norman would not refund a pair of Sennheiser 598 that I returned (because they sounded like sh!t), but only gave store credit. I had to choose something else from their wide selection which was 95% Beats. The Denons were the most expensive set there, and more than I ever dreamed of spending on headphones. But when I tried them, I was like

That is after I haggled with them:)

And so the journey begins.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #7,638 of 11,286
  Hey guys, I haven't thought into getting headphones in a while but I thought I would give it a go. Right now (and for the past 2 years) I've had the Bose AE2s, they're super comfy and somewhat bassy but I want something with more in the subbass range and better highs. I find myself turning on the Bass Boost function of my E10 pretty often, especially for Rap and some Dubstep.

$300 is about the highest I'll spend, so far I've been considering the M-100s, Pro 900s, and maybe some others. If anybody has any ideas/thoughts about it that would be great!

M-100

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #7,640 of 11,286
Currently on a gig where the artists are wearing JH iems as monitors, but are backing them up large active PA subwoofers. Interesting idea. Hear the mids and highs, FEEL the bass.

Yeah that's cool.

It would be awesome if the technology existed (or was implemented) so you could go to a concert or club and receive a signal through your phone (or some other device) so you could listen to the mix through your IEMs (at a comfortable volume) and feel the bass through the system.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #7,641 of 11,286

Yeah that's cool.

It would be awesome if the technology existed (or was implemented) so you could go to a concert or club and receive a signal through your phone (or some other device) so you could listen to the mix through your IEMs (at a comfortable volume) and feel the bass through the system.

Get musician earplugs! Reduce sound volume without covering up specific frequencies! You can get a good set for like 20$.

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #7,642 of 11,286

Get musician earplugs! Reduce sound volume without covering up specific frequencies! You can get a good set for like 20$.

Call me crazy, but I only really enjoy music through headphones. No external sounds, with the perfect mix aimed directly at my ears no matter where I am.

I hope I'm still alive when they develop tech for neural implants into the auditory (and visual) cortex:)

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #7,643 of 11,286
Currently on a gig where the artists are wearing JH iems as monitors, but are backing them up large active PA subwoofers. Interesting idea. Hear the mids and highs, FEEL the bass.

That is pretty cool! And very good idea! 

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7,644 of 11,286
Yea I think I'm gonna go with the M100. I don't think the momentum or mdr1r will have enough bass for me on the go, and the denons aren't really plausible for portable use for me. Thanks for the help though everyone.

I'd say Pro900.  Way better comfort. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #7,646 of 11,286

I need those. Not that I go to any concerts, but because the cinema theatres in my country are loud!! Seriously, turn the volume down, not everyone is deaf. My hearing is almost perfect and I don't want to mess that up. That's why I always go with spare IEMs in my pocket just in case.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #7,647 of 11,286
I need those. Not that I go to any concerts, but because the cinema theatres in my country are loud!! Seriously, turn the volume down, not everyone is deaf. My hearing is almost perfect and I don't want to mess that up. That's why I always go with spare IEMs in my pocket just in case.

You should definitely invest in a pair. Regular IEMs mess up the sound.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #7,648 of 11,286

Pretty much,

Mala, Loefah, Rusko, Benga, Skream, Kode 9, Digital Mystkiz just to name a few of what I consider Oldskool Dub Step

Although I do like Flux Paviolion and Culprate, or rather I REALLY like Culprate! He has such a playful bass line, although again this new "Dub Step" is more Break Beat than anything, it's missing the RIDDIM of tradtionall Roots Dub Step 

i think flux pavilion is the only "new school" dubstep producer i actually like (oh wait, theres subscape aswell)... and thats a very interesting point you make about most of the new stuff being closer to breakbeat than actual dubstep. ive never thought about it like that before. i dont think it quite qualifies, but its definitely close.

i feel like alot of groups had a good start and then lost their way along the way... dubba jonny for example used to be among my favorites, but then everything after "dont judge an ep by its cover" just sounded like a skrillex imitation. zeds dead also had a really great back catalog to dive into when i first got into them, but then "andrenaline" came out and they also went down some kind of wrong direction. mt eden was one of my favorite acts, and here they come out with this new album, which just sounded lifeless to me... i only like one track!
i think alot of these guys want to find some kind of halfway point between the "roots" and the "modern", more mainstream accepted, skrillex/borgor sound. so far im afraid to say i dont think anyone has done it too well... this is all purely a matter of my own very personal opinion Ofcourse...

however, there are plenty of really good musicians out there like koven or meta, and theres plenty of the "oldschoolers" still going, such as nero, truth and the likes. not to mention people who make old school sounding dubstep, like lorn. well, perhaps not quite old school sounding, but definitely closer than others. neither "the others" or "skream" are coming back im afraid, so well have to make do with what we have.

i feel you though... i also have this feeling like dubstep, or rather, dubstep as i think of it - has died for the most part =[

Oct 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #7,649 of 11,286
  i think flux pavilion is the only "new school" dubstep producer i actually like (oh wait, theres subscape aswell)... and thats a very interesting point you make about most of the new stuff being closer to breakbeat than actual dubstep. ive never thought about it like that before. i dont think it quite qualifies, but its definitely close.

i feel like alot of groups had a good start and then lost their way along the way... dubba jonny for example used to be among my favorites, but then everything after "dont judge an ep by its cover" just sounded like a skrillex imitation. zeds dead also had a really great back catalog to dive into when i first got into them, but then "andrenaline" came out and they also went down some kind of wrong direction. mt eden was one of my favorite acts, and here they come out with this new album, which just sounded lifeless to me... i only like one track!
i think alot of these guys want to find some kind of halfway point between the "roots" and the "modern", more mainstream accepted, skrillex/borgor sound. so far im afraid to say i dont think anyone has done it too well... this is all purely a matter of my own very personal opinion Ofcourse...

however, there are plenty of really good musicians out there like koven or meta, and theres plenty of the "oldschoolers" still going, such as nero, truth and the likes. not to mention people who make old school sounding dubstep, like lorn. well, perhaps not quite old school sounding, but definitely closer than others. neither "the others" or "skream" are coming back im afraid, so well have to make do with what we have.

i feel you though... i also have this feeling like dubstep, or rather, dubstep as i think of it - has died for the most part =[

Sorry... punctuation/grammar FLT.  Yes, I'm going there.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #7,650 of 11,286

Sorry... punctuation/grammar FLT.  Yes, I'm going there.

He's got no time for Punctuation and Grammar man, none of us do! All this bass were slammin at our heads is messin wid the grammar! The riddim is too strong brah... I suggest you up your doseage of RIDDIM kick back and njoy this terribly relaxed grammar we spittin out! 

Also... Did I mention I got my HE 400 in? J$Monday Pads + Toxic Hybrid Copper/Silver Balanced Cable... it has allowed me to enjoy Core n Bass again ^^

I'd post some but... well uTube is not within my grasp atm... but check out Current Value! Or better yet, Fuse HEAVY METAL with EDM and you get Core n Bass [or Dark Step or what ever u want to call it]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back