The Basshead Club
Sep 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #7,606 of 11,286
  I haven't heard the D5K, but I am well familiar with the 2K. In fact, TBH I haven't heard all that many cans.

I really liked the 2K, and found the bass (especially sub bass) to be awesome (I'd never heard bass that low before I got the 2K). But their ability to impress me was largely dependent upon the track. I found that I was chasing the sub bass dragon and was not really appreciating a lot of music that didn't slowly and gently massage my ears (e.g. Solar Sailor - Daft Punk).

In comparison, the LCDs don't seem so much to go lower than the 2k, but do so more effortlessly (i.e. faster and harder with more precision). But to my ears, the mid bass of the LCD is what really sets them apart from the 2K. This is where the texture of the bass comes from. Where the tone of the instruments lie. The LCD-2 bass just sounds so much more thick and real. The 2K gives a (false) sense of bass slam, which feels like a small puff of wind in the ear, The LCD doesn't seem to do that (I guess being open), but you actually hear, those low frequencies (all, or at least more of them), rather than (sort of) feel them (as a puff of wind). This make so much more music so much more satisfying (IMO).

FWIW I listen at approximately 80db (peak) most of the time with the LCD, a little higher sometimes. The LCD seems way more satisfying at this volume than the 2K, which I found that I tended to crank a bit more, a bit more often.

I recommend an audition. I could just keep going and going, on and on. But I feel like I'm coming across like a shill or naive fanboy. The reality is I haven't got a great deal of experience with high end gear. In fact, the gear I have now is the best I have ever heard (by far). So I concede that my impressions are totally biased and quiet possibly misleading. hence why I strongly recommend an audition. Whilst I definitely appreciate the difference, I wouldn't expect others (non-enthusiasts) to see the value in the price to performance ratio.

Not that I'm arguing but just wondering - have you heard a Lawton modded Denon? 

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #7,608 of 11,286
  Not that I'm arguing but just wondering - have you heard a Lawton modded Denon? 

I haven't heard modded Denon's, but I believe the mod could make a positive difference. Don't get me wrong, I really like the 2K. They were my first real taste of HiFi headphones. They blew my mind when I first heard them, and I enjoyed using  them (with HUD - MX-1) for a few years before I got the urge to upgrade.

I know that the 2K is considered easy to drive and amps are not really necessary, but the sound out of them improved greatly when I received the Burson. It was like I perceived more separation between instruments, and what I imagine people refer to as 'air' (I don't know all the audiophile lingo and how it corresponds to sound, but I definitely perceived this sense of air). It was like how I imagine the difference between the MX-1 and Burson is analogous to a good speaker set up in a typical cold room in winter, versus an acoustically treated room with an open fireplace heating it to a cosy temperature (Burson). I may be wrong, but it seems like the MX-1 introduced a lot of harmonic distortion which makes instruments sound closer or more congested, whereas the Burson is cleaner and warmer, and allows more 'space' for various instruments to breath. 

Anyhow, shortly after acquiring the Burson (at a good used price), I had the compulsion to get the LCDs. I originally intended to wait a bit longer before making the LCD purchase (financial reasons), but my desires overpowered my better judgment, and I pushed the 'Buy Now' button. 

My initial impressions of the LCD were positive, but it seemed like it was more of a side-grade, than an upgrade. I don't know if it is due to burn in of the drivers or the brain, or both, but the LCD did not at first impress me as much as I expected them to. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, but I think my expectations of the bass were unrealistic. I mean, the bass was definitely there, and awesome, but it didn't seem like the massive improvement that I expected. I also perceived a slight 'honky' quality in the mids, which wasn't unpleasant, but different than the 2K. I also found at first they they did not seem to image as well as the 2K. I was listening to tracks with the aim of demonstrating the cans performance, and thereby justifying the expense. The LCD did sound awesome, but I couldn't help questioning the value.

It wasn't until I listened to an album (Al Di Meola) whilst in bed (my preferred listening time, no distractions nothing else to do or think about, just let the music occupy my whole consciousness and slowly carry me off to lala land), that I started hearing the LCDs for what they are, and not what I expected them to be. I don't know if it is just post purchase rationalisation or cognitive dissonance reduction, but I really started to notice the subtle ways that the LCDs excel over the 2K. To me, the difference was not an immediate night and day (which I was expecting), but more of a gradual realisation of the more subtle, but very real and highly appreciable, differences between dusk and dawn, or autumn and spring (I prefer the seasonal difference analogy). 

This has been a long winded and off track response. But in short, whilst I recommend an audition if possible (to see whether the price is justifiable), I feel the real value for me was not recognised at first, but only after spending some quality time with the cans (more experienced Head-Fiers would probably be able to more accurately and quickly evaluate them than i did). Its like the honeymoon was not as great as I imagined it would be, but the marriage surpassed my wildest expectations. I just keep falling more in love with the LCDs as I continue to have more quality experiences with them, and accept them for the beautiful cans that they are, rather than the false (and possibly inferior) impression of cans that I expected they should be. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #7,610 of 11,286
At that price range, the only other headphone I can think of right now that's known for being bassy is the JVC DX1000, but there's not a lot of information on it.  About the most direct description I've heard on those was someone describing them as a darker version of the Denons.

If you want neutrality and sub-bass, I'd go with the LCD's as opposed to the Denon D7000's (especially since you already have the D5000's).  I haven't heard the LCD-2's, but I own a pair of D7000's and LCD-3's, and the LCD has more low-end and can better reproduce complicated pieces when multiple sub-bass frequencies are dualing it out.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #7,611 of 11,286
How does the JVC DX1000 compare to the XB 700, listening to some of my OLD Dub Step from my Zune... specifially Stink Finger by Doctor P and Flux

last time I heard this song the XB 700 dropped that bass line like a cynder block up side my head... and even with EQ and the HE 400... it's not the same. While the He 400 is very tight... it just lacks that BASS that I used to enjoy about the Xb 700 [which imo was too bass for me after a while]

That said how ever, the HE 400 did Rusko's Woo Boost much justice :3, sadly there are only a FEW songs I still need uhh +20 bass to enjoy :3 

still I woulnd't mind owning a wooden TOTL Bass can... just for those very special days when the bass head in my needs his fix, Digital Mystikz is another... need that brick faced bass line 

That said Benga and Skream are still nice n sexy on the HE 400 

Sep 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #7,613 of 11,286
  How does the JVC DX1000 compare to the XB 700,

I can't comment on the JVC's yet... sadly..  I've ordered a pair, but they're a long ways from arriving.  However, I'd expect them to be different from the XB series.  The XB1000's I have are extremely boomy and loose... not in a bad way, but they're so focused on bass that for me to really enjoy them I'd have to listen to music that's almost entirely bass oriented, like dubstep or 80's electro breakdance.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #7,614 of 11,286
  Mshenay! When did you get your HE400? Did you get the pads you wanted?

Could I please have some more impressions of the bass? Hows the sub-bass?

I did get the pads I wanted, Sub Bass is nice, linear and what not! 

Actually it's REAL deep. I used to love listening to Current Value, but his beats are SO tight and deep, a lot of can's can't handle his music, as they sound almost anemic. But speakers and the HE 400 do a nice job :3 

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #7,615 of 11,286
I also love the oldskool dubstep. It's the only real dubstep imo. What people know as dubstep nowadays is something else.

Sep 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7,616 of 11,286
  I also love the oldskool dubstep. It's the only real dubstep imo. What people know as dubstep nowadays is something else.

By 'oldskool dubstep' are you referring to the stuff artists like Skream and Mt Eden produce? 

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #7,617 of 11,286

By 'oldskool dubstep' are you referring to the stuff artists like Skream and Mt Eden produce? 

Pretty much,

Mala, Loefah, Rusko, Benga, Skream, Kode 9, Digital Mystkiz just to name a few of what I consider Oldskool Dub Step

Although I do like Flux Paviolion and Culprate, or rather I REALLY like Culprate! He has such a playful bass line, although again this new "Dub Step" is more Break Beat than anything, it's missing the RIDDIM of tradtionall Roots Dub Step 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back