The Basshead Club
May 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #6,286 of 11,286
Maybe one for work office and one for the house or portable. They are that good but sadly I just bought an Ultrasone Pro 900 and another $200 right now would not be smart. :D

I like having different sound signatures but my real point was for $200 these are a true steal for me.

Actually that was the point I was gearing for : might as well have more than one sound signatures rather than two exactly the same signature. A bit not worth to buy two pairs of the same thing IMO.

May 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6,287 of 11,286
Quote:
Maybe one for work office and one for the house or portable. They are that good but sadly I just bought an Ultrasone Pro 900 and another $200 right now would not be smart.
biggrin.gif

I like having different sound signatures but my real point was for $200 these are a true steal for me.

...good luck.

May 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #6,288 of 11,286
Quote:
Actually that was the point I was gearing for : might as well have more than one sound signatures rather than two exactly the same signature. A bit not worth to buy two pairs of the same thing IMO.

For me, I would buy 2 (or more) of the same headphone if its sound signature is something I really, really love. It could be a backup in case the current one stops worrking / gets lost, and it's out of production.

May 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #6,289 of 11,286
May 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #6,291 of 11,286
Quote:

Its treble is as pronounced as its bass. It can sound quite harsh at times.

Pretty much that. The pronounced treble and bass makes the midrange sound a bit sucked out, which in turn pronounces the treble even more. Ultrasone's stuff just sounds artificially bright to my ears. Although I say this when I've only heard the HFI-780, I'm pretty sure that Ultrasone's in-house sound is more treble oriented than a company like Audio Technica who's signature is warmer and more relaxed in comparison. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to your impressions, Oregonian! Your aged ears may be able to tolerate the treble better than mine, which are very sensitive some areas. 

May 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #6,292 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks.................I think.  Care to elaborate? 
blink.gif

In addition S-Logic Technology does not work with every ones ears. So there is a chance that you will get all treble and very little mids and bass. But if S-Logic does work with you ears then you should b in for a treat! 

Still Pro 900s are know to be very finicky! 

May 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #6,293 of 11,286
Quote:
In addition S-Logic Technology does not work with every ones ears. So there is a chance that you will get all treble and very little mids and bass. But if S-Logic does work with you ears then you should b in for a treat! 

Still Pro 900s are know to be very finicky! 

Well, we'll see.  If no go, sell.  If go, keep.  Really pretty simple.

You guys all tried them for an extended period? 

May 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #6,294 of 11,286
Quote:

An that's the magic of head fi! 

May 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #6,295 of 11,286
Quote:

If you are talking about the SDJ I've been using them for over 6 months and it still feels amazing to put them on after work. Real bass without sacrificing anything. But please be careful, these cans will dominate your life 
devil_face.gif

May 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6,296 of 11,286
Quote:
If you are talking about the SDJ I've been using them for over 6 months and it still feels amazing to put them on after work. Real bass without sacrificing anything. But please be careful, these cans will dominate your life 
devil_face.gif

ooh nice, did you know that OMG SDJ doesn't have as much S logic... I don't remember what exactly whas was said, but apprently SDJ has less "S Logic" than the lower end series cans. 

May 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #6,298 of 11,286
Pretty much that. The pronounced treble and bass makes the midrange sound a bit sucked out, which in turn pronounces the treble even more. Ultrasone's stuff just sounds artificially bright to my ears. Although I say this when I've only heard the HFI-780, I'm pretty sure that Ultrasone's in-house sound is more treble oriented than a company like Audio Technica who's signature is warmer and more relaxed in comparison. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to your impressions, Oregonian! Your aged ears may be able to tolerate the treble better than mine, which are very sensitive some areas. 

Well guys,these old ears think the Pro900's are, after listening for ten minutes, really good. I'm hesitating to overstate it, but going through my KA-5700 the sound is amazing.

Seriously, I'm impressed. This S-Logic I guess is why the soundstage sounds so wide, and the bass is so crisp and clean. And the treble IS bright but with 51 year old ears it is actually about perfect.

Geez, if the Sig DJ is THAT much better than these, how good will they sound?!

I know it's first impressions, but my gut feel with D600 was the same, as was with the Mad Dogs (in that case I knew right away I didn't like them). These are keepers.

Next up....to get the SECOND KA-5700 that I found for my office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back