The Basshead Club
Apr 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #6,061 of 11,286
Quote:
That is just ridiculous... 211Lbs of ridiculous!
biggrin.gif

Dude has one here in a Honda...

wow the sub has wheels

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #6,063 of 11,286
lol what's the size of that sub... that looks ridiculous. I think you can call him a basshead. 
tongue.gif
 I'd be scared to even sit let alone drive around in that thing. 
basshead.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #6,064 of 11,286
Quote:

If you're talking about the XB500, I can help answer a few questions.

2) They are about the same.

3) Slightly more sub-bass. Mid-bass quantity is about the same. Maybe XB500 has a little bit more. I'm kind of lazy to pull them both out now, so I'm going from memory.

4) Nope, the headband isn't very comfortable, but the plush pillows are. Besides, the overall headphone is quite light and the weight is well distributed. You won't really feel the headband much.

5) They are equally as bassy and both are dark headphones with lost treble. I would say they are about the same.

6) Yup.

7) Yup.

8) Bass drowns out a lot of the sound, but EDM sounds pretty ok on them. It's a shame the highs are muted like on the Crossfade LP.

Mkay. Thanks for answering! :D

Also, for #8, would EQing the Sony XB500's uncover the mids and treble, but not lose the bass quantity? I mean, that's what an EQ is supposed to do, so I'm guessing yes.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #6,066 of 11,286
Quote:

Also, for #8, would EQing the Sony XB500's uncover the mids and treble, but not lose the bass quantity? I mean, that's what an EQ is supposed to do, so I'm guessing yes.

I would say yes, you can do that with W shaped EQ, done it myself.
highest points being 31-62hz, 500-1khz and 10-16k I think (some say 4K should be boosted on XB500 but personally I feel it brings slibinance), freqs in between increasing/decreasing to make it look like W.

EQ doesn't help the treble, the drivers just aren't that capable of bringing the highs.

The question isn't about IF it would help. 
The question is HOW MUCH it will help. And that depends on HPs, while particulary - XB500 - responds to EQ quite nice.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6,067 of 11,286

As you can see, the xb500's bass bleeds too much into the midrange, and there are some peaks and dips in the treble. The best way to fix it is to use an equalizer to tone down the midrange frequencies and make the treble flat. The xb500s aren't really dark headphones, its just that the overly forward bass and lower midrange don't really give the treble room to breathe. So, what do you do? You reverse-equalize the inequalities in the headphone to make it sound more neutral:

Here's a quick representation of what reverse equalizing is (may be called something else, but that's what I call it). I basically neutralized the peaks and dips in the frequency spectrum, making it much more neutral. I left the lower frequencies alone since not everybody tweaks the bass the same way I do. So, maybe someone can replicate this on their xb500 and see what the difference is like.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6,075 of 11,286
Quote:

Any over-ears that have just as much bass and pretty much the same sound signature but minimal leakage?

lol.

Reloop RHP-20 and V-MODA Crossfade LP/LP2 are 3 cans that come to mind. All 3 have strong bass, attenuated treble and are fairly comfortable over-ear cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back