The Basshead Club
Apr 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #5,851 of 11,286
Modify/change the earpads and bend the headband. Audio Technica's 53mm drivers have the potential to be bass monsters, but either the clamping force, the earpads, or both, prohibit them from bringing it out. If the a900x's headband has a light clamping force like my AD900 did, you can try bending it to get a better seal around your ears. The earpads look okay on those headphones, but you may want to stuff some cotton balls underneath it to let them seal around your ears better and create more distance between your ears and the driver grill. Plus, the cotton lets you bend the headband less in order to get the proper seal because they'll be thicker. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #5,852 of 11,286
Quote:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e447e8b9e20fd636/
That's the exact one that I have

Maybe it's because I'm using onboard sound? The quality of the music is much clearer and crisper than my logitech G930, but the bass is just..not there to me, I found myself putting the G930s back on because my dubstep just didn't sound right..  I plan on at least getting an entry level sound card next week, 50$ish dollars.

Checks out. I guess your idea of bassy isn't my idea of bassy. You might want the err towards the side of the very bass heavy headphones from this thread. The M-audio Q40 and V-moda LP series come to mind. Try EQing the for more bass first and see i that helps?

I'm not an ideal person to ask though, since I'm not a massive basshead, I just happen to be in this thread from time to time because I own a few of the headphones on the list.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #5,853 of 11,286
Quote:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/e447e8b9e20fd636/
That's the exact one that I have

Maybe it's because I'm using onboard sound? The quality of the music is much clearer and crisper than my logitech G930, but the bass is just..not there to me, I found myself putting the G930s back on because my dubstep just didn't sound right..  I plan on at least getting an entry level sound card next week, 50$ish dollars.

Well then, that's your problem. The logitech g930 probably doesn't need as much power to drive them good as the a900x's do. Get an amp/dac. Something like the FiiO E17 is a good start. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,854 of 11,286
Quote:
Well then, that's your problem. The logitech g930 probably doesn't need as much power to drive them good as the a900x's do. Get an amp/dac. Something like the FiiO E17 is a good start. 

As an A900X owner, I'd say that's unlikely. The A900X really doesn't need much power at all, it's driven to comfortable listening levels just from my DAPs.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #5,855 of 11,286
Quote:

Thanks for all the help everyone, really appreciate it.

Would it be better to get an amp or a soundcard first? And I actually have the AD700 pads on the headphones, these here:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/567089b73c33056f/

There a much more velvet material

It's kinda painful how new I am to this stuff, haha.  I didn't realize ear pads could affect the sound.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #5,856 of 11,286
Quote:

Would it be better to get an amp or a soundcard first? And I actually have the AD700 pads on the headphones, these here:

It's kinda painful how new I am to this stuff, haha.  I didn't realize ear pads could affect the sound.

You could start with an all in one, like the FiiO suggested. A lot of entry level DACs come with a somewhat decent headphone amp built in anyway(except the Schiit Modi and ODAC). I sufficed with a fairly cheap Asus Xonar soundcard for a while.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #5,857 of 11,286
Quote:

Well, are you looking for midbass or subbass?
If subbass is your game, take a look at a 
Denon D2000. Midbass, hmm.... M100?

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #5,858 of 11,286
Ok so..wow I switched out the ear pads for the original ones for the A900x and BAM bass, I'm so happy haha 
I was disappointed because I didn't hear much difference between my G930 and these but now I'm hugging the A900x's crying happy tears.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5,859 of 11,286
Ok so..wow I switched out the ear pads for the original ones for the A900x and BAM bass, I'm so happy haha 
I was disappointed because I didn't hear much difference between my G930 and these but now I'm hugging the A900x's crying happy tears.

Glad to hear you found the problem!
For future reference, velour pads tend to reduce bass in my experience.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,860 of 11,286
Quote:
As an A900X owner, I'd say that's unlikely. The A900X really doesn't need much power at all, it's driven to comfortable listening levels just from my DAPs.

Keep in mind that he's still using onboard sound, and that the E17 is a pretty low power amp/dac compared to others (but still a great product in it's price range). The headphone out on onboard sound doesn't deliver enough power to satisfy your average basshead. I'd even venture further and say that most soundcards don't offer that much power either. The onboard sound on my motherboard has a headphone amp that is supposedly able to drive headphones up to 600ohms (Creative Fatal1ty sound chip). My E17 is better than it in all aspects (power delivery, loudness, quality, etc.). 

Glad to hear you found the problem!
For future reference, velour pads tend to reduce bass in my experience.

Well, that's a yes and no statement. It's just that the earpads he used are horrible for sealing. My stock AD900 (or the whole AD series earpads) pads are the last pads you'd want if you're a basshead (well, Grado earpads would be dead last, but anyways...). When I used my M50s, the DT250 velour earpads provided more bass impact than the stock pads. When I put the same earpads on my HFI-780, the bass was even more non-existent than the stock pads. It just depends on the construction of the headphone (driver distance, if the driver is angled or not, etc.). 

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #5,861 of 11,286
Quote:

yea I'm a big leather fan for bass, ironically though I dig the Velour on the Dt series, the 990 and 880 are imo some of the TIGHTEST bass I've heard and go figure there are vleour [just sounds so GOOD]

but my Ath w1000x [not a bass head can but I like it's bass, very deep and controlled imo. Not to mention I used a Clear Top Hybrid Tube which tightens the bass more] Non the less my Ath w1000x sounded much better with the REAL leather L3000 pads over the pleather pads, so yes pads DO make a good differeance! 

On that note how are the ath A1000x and 2000x open airs with bass? Cleary not bass head quality but does it have that DEEP Dig like the open byers do? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #5,862 of 11,286
A1000X has a rolled off end, A2000X fixes all the flaws the A1000X had. Test rig > Rockboxed Gigabeat player/FLAC source > Crystal Piccolino RCA to 3.5mm > Yamamoto HA-02. The only thing I found to die for this combo is the timbre and the absolute ease to put out extremely good female vocals. It's not neutral, it's not very coloured but like the 3000ANV's they have a very seductive treble range pairing with the HA-02.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #5,865 of 11,286
Alright, so I'm a basshead who's looking for a set of headphones that'll satisfy that bass craving when it shows up without breaking the bank.

I'm waffling between a set of like new Pro700MK2s on Amazon for $120, or just settling for a JVC HAM5X or HAS4X off of ebay for less than $40. Obviously, I'm looking for ridiculous amounts of bass here, otherwise I'd just go with my M50 and be done with it.

Of the three, should I spend the extra cash to go for the Pro700 or go for one of the lower end JVC cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back