The Basshead Club
Mar 10, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #5,266 of 11,286
Quote:
Those are cheap! That's an amazing price. I could definitely budget more if I had to. Any thoughts the on the sound quality of the Q40

It's more like PRO900 are a bit overpriced unless you really love V-shape sound. Q40 are aggressively priced, good sounding basshead headphones, they clamp fairly hard and the stockpads are pretty of the cheap shallow kind (but the shallowness gives them a more forward midrange especially which I like). 

I believe Malveaux that has quite some experience wrote some review on the Q40... he had tried both the PRO900 and Q40 and preferred the Q40 because it was better balanced in the mids & highs and the bass was very similar to the PRO900

Read the review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5,267 of 11,286
Quote:

It's more like PRO900 are a bit overpriced unless you really love V-shape sound. Q40 are aggressively priced, good sounding basshead headphones, they clamp fairly hard and the stockpads are pretty of the cheap shallow kind (but the shallowness gives them a more forward midrange especially which I like). 

I believe Malveaux that has quite some experience wrote some review on the Q40... he had tried both the PRO900 and Q40 and preferred the Q40 because it was better balanced in the mids & highs and the bass was very similar to the PRO900

Read the review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/m-audio-studiophile-q40-closed-back-dynamic-headphones/reviews/6430

very interesting. the shallow earcups sound like they might get uncomfortable though. have you experienced any ear against driver type discomfort (esp w/ longer listening sessions)?

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #5,268 of 11,286
Quote:
very interesting. the shallow earcups sound like they might get uncomfortable though. have you experienced any ear against driver type discomfort (esp w/ longer listening sessions)?

No but I did stuff some papertowel underneath the pads to make them slightly deeper but that was more because of soundstage/imaging benefits and tames out the 9kHz spike very gently. The foam ring pretty much avoids the ear touching the driver grille and works like a pillow when using it stock so it's not uncomfortable due to shallow pads, the clamping is the more likely to cause issues for some people, I've personally not had issues with the clamping but I can see some others might have, especially if you're wearing glasses. I happen to appriciate a tight clamp to get a more secure feel for my headbanging needs. xD

I'm using them like so with a very thin layer of papertowel (about 1/4 to 1/3 of a piece of paper roll) rolled up and stuffed inside:

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5,269 of 11,286
Quote:

The stock pads stock are probably only an issue to someone with ears that protrude a bit. RPG solution is a good one.  I personally use a 1/2" nylon rope under the stock pads, and it just seems to make everything sound better, including the bass, which on these cans is deep and wide ranging.  You can also try the Beyer velour pads which I did and they make the comfort amazing, but I just prefer the stock pad sound.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #5,270 of 11,286
Quote:
Those are cheap! That's an amazing price. I could definitely budget more if I had to. Any thoughts the on the sound quality of the Q40

For any price the Q-40's sound great.  Probably my favorite phone.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #5,271 of 11,286
Quote:
wow listening to Kidnap Kid and The Other Tribe [new EPS] and they sound really wonderful on the Mad Dogs :D, this is the first time the mad dogs have REALLY shined with EDM [they are in no way BAD] but the 990 is more my style... now to try the 990 xD

Hmm, there is more energy with the Dt 990, bass is more aggressive, highs r sharper. But the Mad Dog is very Laid back! So :D the Mad Dogs r a nice bass can I think ^^ [after some eq and the BASS BOOST on my Indeed G3] 

Even without the bass boosts the song is still nice [not as nice ofc] 

I tried the Mad Dogs and feel IMHO they are far from a basshead can.  Very disappointing but to each their own I guess.  I did A/B with them alongside my Q-40's and it was no contest.  They were returned. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5,272 of 11,286
I've updated the list of basshead cans. Feel free to nominate new additions to the list.
smile.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #5,274 of 11,286
Quote:
Has anyone compared the 700mkii, dt770/80, xb500, fidelio l1, m100, ue6000 and momentum.
I have the xb500 and dt770/80. I would ideally like the sub bass of the 770 but with more relaxed highs, the 770 has a peak around 7-10khz which I would like my next set of cans not to have. What can has gobs of sub bass?

thats exactly how i feel about my dt770s (250 ohm). and although eqing the bass up is easy and responsive, eqing the treble down has proved harder then i feel it should be. for this reason im ordering m-100s. i will probably post a small, humble comparison once i feel ive grown accustomed to the m-100 sound, enough for a fair (if not very scientifical) comparison of the two.

Quote:
I've updated the list of basshead cans. Feel free to nominate new additions to the list.
smile.gif

thanks for the effort! i think you got something wrong though, i paid 170$ for my dt770s off amazon, you have them listed at 280$ or something. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #5,276 of 11,286
Quote:
Wow. That's just unreal. Not sure how these things managed to stay off my radar, but you guys definitely have my interest. I'm off to read Malveaux' review. 
happy_face1.gif

Let's be a bit more fair though shall we (as I don't think it's fair to bring up a headphone to skyheights), IMO the weaknesses of the headphones comes down to:

Cons:

- Soundstage, definitely not very large or airy if you're into that sort of things, rather closed in but it's a very "engaging" / forward-in-your-face like soundstage though
- Not the best transparency but for the bass it packs it's quite ok IMO, stock cable actually smears up the sound a bit from my experience, I swapped cable and it started sounding more separated, I also noticed a slight vol boost doing so indicating the stock cable has very high impedance (which is usually not a good thing). So buying a $3 monoprice cable or whatever that fits already can bring a slight SQ upgrade :p
- Clamping force is definitely above average, which may not be to every1's liking
- Build quality issues? I've had mine for like at least 1½~2 years and haven't noticed anything odd though except drivers "sparkling" a bit during winter when the air gets cold & dry when moving in certain directions/positions with it (never had this with any other headphones). I've actually become "zapped" by the headphone haha but it seems to be better this winter, last winter it was worse for some reason.

Pros:

- Exceptionally great bass quantity vs quality at the price point (I don't think there exists any better in that category). Very Punchy, textured and reasonably controlled bass relatively speaking for the amount it packs
- Well balanced mids & highs
- No resonance spikes throughout the whole frequency range. The bassrange has a little more like every headphone but the mids and highs are suprisingly clean here
- Pretty lightweight despite it looks a bit clumsy

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,277 of 11,286
Quote:

Let's be a bit more fair though shall we (as I don't think it's fair to bring up a headphone to skyheights), IMO the weaknesses of the headphones comes down to:

Cons:

- Soundstage, definitely not very large or airy if you're into that sort of things, rather closed in but it's a very "engaging" / forward-in-your-face like soundstage though
- Not the best transparency but for the bass it packs it's quite ok IMO, stock cable actually smears up the sound a bit from my experience, I swapped cable and it started sounding more separated, I also noticed a slight vol boost doing so indicating the stock cable has very high impedance (which is usually not a good thing). So buying a $3 monoprice cable or whatever that fits already can bring a slight SQ upgrade :p
- Clamping force is definitely above average, which may not be to every1's liking
- Build quality issues? I've had mine for like at least 1½~2 years and haven't noticed anything odd though except drivers "sparkling" a bit during winter when the air gets cold & dry when moving in certain directions/positions with it (never had this with any other headphones). I've actually become "zapped" by the headphone haha but it seems to be better this winter, last winter it was worse for some reason.

Pros:

- Exceptionally great bass quantity vs quality at the price point (I don't think there exists any better in that category). Very Punchy, textured and reasonably controlled bass relatively speaking for the amount it packs
- Well balanced mids & highs
- No resonance spikes throughout the whole frequency range. The bassrange has a little more like every headphone but the mids and highs are suprisingly clean here
- Pretty lightweight despite it looks a bit clumsy

I've been missing my Pro 900s since I got rid of them and have always thought I'd like to find something "like" them but less hot on the upper end. The Q40s sound like they'd be perfect. The price is simply a huge bonus and justifies buying something like this (which is really just for "fun") If the Bass is anywhere near as good as it was on the Pro 900s then I'll be very satisfied.

I still haven't read Malveaux' review (kid had a Soccer game) but I'm off to do that now. Unless somebody shows me something with better quantity and quality in the Bass dept. I think I'm in... Still have a hard time believing that price... That's crazy!  
smile_phones.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #5,278 of 11,286
Malveaux is the person who convinced me to buy my HE500s and I've been very happy with those.... Sooooo..... Thanks guys. They will be here on Wednesday! I never thought I'd get out this cheap. I'm planning to order the new earpads for them too.

beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #5,279 of 11,286
Quote:
Malveaux is the person who convinced me to buy my HE500s and I've been very happy with those.... Sooooo..... Thanks guys. They will be here on Wednesday! I never thought I'd get out this cheap. I'm planning to order the new earpads for them too.

beerchug.gif

Nice. Do you still own the HE-400s or did you sell them off to get the HE-500?

It would be nice if you could post some impression of what you think of the Q40s and how they compare to your higher end headphones : )

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,280 of 11,286
Quote:

Nice. Do you still own the HE-400s or did you sell them off to get the HE-500?

It would be nice if you could post some impression of what you think of the Q40s and how they compare to your higher end headphones : )

I did... I miss them too, but I love the 500s. They have their share of Bass too.

Still, I'm a bit of a Basshead at heart and sometimes I just want a little more... There's just nothing quite like the sound pressure and slam you get from a standard closed back driver!

Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the lead. I'm really thrilled to tell you the truth (Christmas in March!) I have a feeling I'm going to love 'em.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back