The Basshead Club
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #4,831 of 11,286
Quote:
Ath 50s or pro700mk2??
Which one to be bought??

They are completely different sounding headphones.  By basshead standards, I don't even consider the ATH-M50 a basshead can.  The PRO700MK2 has some of the best bass I ever heard, but is dark in signature with rolled off highs that make it much more limited for a variety of listening compared to the M50.  M-Audio Q40 is closer to best of both worlds, but you will need an amp to get the most out of them.

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #4,832 of 11,286
Quote:
I thought
If I'm not wrong the se215 and Westone 3 are in different leagues, so u mean their sound is similar?

The W3 is more detailed than the SE215, and offers better extension in bass and treble, as well as having a less recessed midrange. However, both are bassy IEMs that deserve a try (especially the W3).

Since you live in Singapore, why don't you try visiting Stereo or Jaben to audition the cans that you are interested in. I believe they still have the D5000 in stock at Stereo?

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #4,833 of 11,286
Quote:
Ath 50s or pro700mk2??
Which one to be bought??

The M50 is a good all-rounder with a little bass thrown on it.

The PRO700MK2 is a dark can that was created to provide bass and a lot of it. At stock levels, it is a punchy can with moderate amount of bass. When amped, it can reach very high levels in bass quantity.

Your choice of cans is really based on the type of music you listen to. The M50 is more suited for most genres, whilst the PRO700MK2 fares really well with punchy, bassy music (e.g. EDM).

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #4,835 of 11,286
Quote:
I am just an ordinary music listner!!
what I need is a large quantity of bass
so shpuld I buy ath pro 700mk2 or Sony xb700??

PRO700MK2 is a bit more midbass focused while XB700 is heavily subbass focused, both have large amounts of bass but very different sounding bass. The PRO700MK2 is a lot punchier and a bit snappier and the XB700 more deep ,slow, soft and rumbly.

XB700 has slightly exaggerated highs while the PRO700MK2 has veiled highs.

In this hobby you can't just go about recommending headphone X over Y because it's a lot about personal preferences how you want it to sound like. Between these two headphones you have to question yourself whether you'd think you like a more punchy/impactful bass with a very smooth sound or a big soft rumbly bass with somewhat hollow but reasonably crisp sound due to recessed mids versus slightly exaggerated highs.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #4,836 of 11,286
Hmm, I can't help but being a little impressed by Monster DNA's FR graph from my subjective taste's basshead view:

Bass boosted but pretty even in the mids & highs, not a lot of basshead headphones achieves this. Of course there is more to it than frequency response and there it probably doesn't fare as well and I'm not a fan of on-ears.

EDIT: Oh Goldenears also measured Pro Detox, that's a first for me... the bass is quite amusing... certainly different tuned (more bass) compared to Beats Pro:

This looks to be packing some serious punch. :p For Beats, more certainly seems to mean better xD TBH, this FR graph shares A LOT of similarities to XB800's graph:

Remember this russian's site uses very heavy interpolation so their graphs tends to be rather smooth, in goldenears that 4~8kHz area would be a lot more spiky like on the Detox measurement. Similar bass curve both quantity and shape wise, similar 1-2kHz valley, the small 2.5kHz peak, uneven/spikey 4-8kHz area.... it does make you wonder if these maybe shares similar/same drivers. Quite a fail for Beats if that was true asking what is it $599 for it? While Sony asks $129 these days.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,837 of 11,286
Quote:
Hmm, I can't help but being a little impressed by Monster DNA's FR graph from my subjective taste's basshead view:

Bass boosted but pretty even in the mids & highs, not a lot of basshead headphones achieves this. Of course there is more to it than frequency response and there it probably doesn't fare as well and I'm not a fan of on-ears.

EDIT: Oh Goldenears also measured Pro Detox, that's a first for me... the bass is quite amusing... certainly different tuned (more bass) compared to Beats Pro:

This looks to be packing some serious punch. :p For Beats, more certainly seems to mean better xD TBH, this FR graph shares A LOT of similarities to XB800's graph:

Remember this russian's site uses very heavy interpolation so their graphs tends to be rather smooth, in goldenears that 4~8kHz area would be a lot more spiky like on the Detox measurement. Similar bass curve both quantity and shape wise, similar 1-2kHz valley, the small 2.5kHz peak, uneven/spikey 4-8kHz area.... it does make you wonder if these maybe shares similar/same drivers. Quite a fail for Beats if that was true asking what is it $599 for it? While Sony asks $129 these days.

I unexpectedly thought the DNA was one of the better sounding headphone's in Best Buy's offerings.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #4,840 of 11,286
Is the gr07 and the m50 suitable for basshead? I'm looking for a easy to buy iem or fullsize for the bass of linkin park and rap! About 150$-200$ isolation above average and comfortable is ok! Durability must be very good and no sibilance

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,842 of 11,286
So I ordered the e11 and zo2 for my rockboxed ipod. The e11 arrived yesterday. I set all the EQs on the ipod to 0. Set the gain to low and EQ to 1 on the e11 and the bass sounds absolutley terrible comming out of my TMA-1s. It is muddy and clips durring heavy bass. So then I switch3d it over to my note 2 running poweramp on the bass and treble EQs. It sounds amazing. Then I switched the gain to high and EQ to 2 on the e11 and it sou ds even better.

Anyone know why the e11 sou ds horrible on the rockboxed classic and amazing out of my note?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #4,843 of 11,286
Do you have a LOD for the iPod or is it headphone out? If your using HP out turn the volume down on the iPod and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #4,844 of 11,286
No LOD yet. The The LOD is in the mail with the ZO2. It will be here tomorrow. I actually tried turning the volume on the ipod as low as possible. I also tried turning the bass on the ipod all the way down (-12) and it still sounds horrible. I wonder if the LOD will do anything for me when it arrives...

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #4,845 of 11,286
Quote:

That's a huge a bass boost on the Beats Pro Detox. It looks to be almost as bassy as the XB300/500/700. I like the v-shaped sound signature though, as it probably sounds something like a bassier but darker HFI 580.

Most cans with such boosted bass don't usually sell for more than $200.. one of the cans I know that sell for around that figure, and have such huge bass boost is the Crossfade LP/LP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back