The Basshead Club
Feb 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #4,787 of 11,286
Quote:
Quote:
Just got a pair of M100s, switching from HD598s. Can't say the bass is lacking in the M100s but I feel like the overall sound coming out of these headphones is just no where near as clear as my HD598s. I'm not sure how you'd explain it with the proper lingo but I'd say it just sounds muddy in comparison. Not to mention the comfort level is no where near as close -- the M100s are like a vice around my head and create painful suction cups around my ears. Maybe I'm just not used to the closed style but I do remember my D2000s being very comfortable and an absolute joy to listen to. The bass wasn't as strong as the M100s but the overall experience felt clearer and more fluid. I plan to return the M100s unless I get used to them in the next couple days. Can anyone point me in the right direction from here, any other good headphones to try out based on my experience? I'm not particularly interested in blocking outside noise I just want a comfortable pair of headphones that sounds as clear as the HD598s with more bass.

Try out a ATH- AD900X. That is exactly what your looking for. My HD595s are lacking in bass as well the AD900X solves that issue with the clarity, stage and air that are the trademarks of open cans.  You can't replace an open can with a closed one and get a similar sound. Lol.

Better yet, get a AD900X and a FiiO E12 to go with it. The E12 bolsters up the AD900X's lower end a good deal, and even more so with the bass boost. Mind you, though, I have the first version of the E12 with the more sub-bass boost, not the soon-to-be-released more mid-bass boost version.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #4,788 of 11,286
Quote:
Try out a ATH- AD900X. That is exactly what your looking for. My HD595s are lacking in bass as well the AD900X solves that issue with the clarity, stage and air that are the trademarks of open cans.  You can't replace an open can with a closed one and get a similar sound. Lol.

I'm not looking to reproduce the sound of the HD598s, I had D2ks which were closed and loved them (they broke). I was going to get another pair but they are not worth paying $400 for a used pair. I'll try out the AD900X, thanks for the advice!

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #4,789 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey guys, i need your advice. I got pro900, overally its a good headphone but i want some more sub-bass. My budget is 300 $ and i use it with ipod and 2stepdance. Dt990, hd650, d2000/5000, xb1000 ....?? 

I like the PRO 900, but I agree that it is lacking in sub-bass. The XB1000 and D2000 are very good at providing a good sub-bass experience. Mid-bass punch and quantity isn't prevalent, but both fare well when amped; bass quantity is increased whilst retaining overall sound quality.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #4,791 of 11,286
Quote:
Just got a pair of M100s, switching from HD598s. Can't say the bass is lacking in the M100s but I feel like the overall sound coming out of these headphones is just no where near as clear as my HD598s. I'm not sure how you'd explain it with the proper lingo but I'd say it just sounds muddy in comparison. Not to mention the comfort level is no where near as close -- the M100s are like a vice around my head and create painful suction cups around my ears. Maybe I'm just not used to the closed style but I do remember my D2000s being very comfortable and an absolute joy to listen to. The bass wasn't as strong as the M100s but the overall experience felt clearer and more fluid. I plan to return the M100s unless I get used to them in the next couple days. Can anyone point me in the right direction from here, any other good headphones to try out based on my experience? I'm not particularly interested in blocking outside noise I just want a comfortable pair of headphones that sounds as clear as the HD598s with more bass.

While I have not personally heard them, I have been reading some amazing comments regarding the Yamaha PRO 500, so they may be worth some research.  They run $400.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,794 of 11,286
Hey, now that i have settled the sound quality part of my headphone choice, i was wondering if i should dash straight into the
pricey-audiphile grade denon d5000 or slowly build up so that my ears would be tuned to become more sensitive. The biggest
problem now is that the d5000 is discontinued and if i don't get them before the end of this year it's most likely going to end up in
some other people's hands. So should I:
1) Just Go For IT! - DENON D5k

2) Start Slow- Sennheiser Amperior (Mid/Upper-Mid Fi), then move up the audiophile ladder.

3) Go For IEMS! (Westone 3- Quite interested in these!)- <I'll put this here for the sake of putting it here>

Thanks a million, people in this forum are truly very helpful, esp. Craigster for your suggestions.

Btw, i was wondering why not many of you (in fact none) commented about the d5000. Why?

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4,795 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey, now that i have settled the sound quality part of my headphone choice, i was wondering if i should dash straight into the
pricey-audiphile grade denon d5000 or slowly build up so that my ears would be tuned to become more sensitive. The biggest
problem now is that the d5000 is discontinued and if i don't get them before the end of this year it's most likely going to end up in

2) Start Slow- Sennheiser Amperior (Mid/Upper-Mid Fi), then move up the audiophile ladder.

3) Go For IEMS! (Westone 3- Quite interested in these!)- <I'll put this here for the sake of putting it here>

Thanks a million, people in this forum are truly very helpful, esp. Craigster for your suggestions.

Btw, i was wondering why not many of you (in fact none) commented about the d5000. Why?

I'd get the D5000 for the simple fact it's going to only get harder and harder to get them as time goes on.  The D5000 are extremely capable headphones and definitely lean towards the bass side of things.  You should not be disappointed with them and I can assure you that there won't be any trouble selling them used if the need arises.  There are better headphones, but the D5000 deserve a listen.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,796 of 11,286
Quote:
The E11 and ZO are so light and small that you can use both and still have a highly portable rig.  You can band them so you don't have a mess of wires.

Look at my avatar, click on it and you see the size.  It's pretty small.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #4,797 of 11,286
Wow I think I'm sold on it Oregonian, I'm going to wait till Valentine's day is over to order the ZO though, so I don't over extend my funds. 
wink.gif

Maybe eventually I could upgrade from the E11 to the E12 as I'm sure the E12 will work great double amping.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,798 of 11,286
Quote:

If you are certain that you want the D5000, my advice would be to go for the best you can afford and not settle.  I had a gut feeling I would only be satisfied with the Signature DJ and spent the past 6 months wasting time and money on return shipping and restocking fees only to find that the Signature DJ is the ultimate headphone for me.  Also, if you do want something that works well as a portable and at home, you don't want the D5000.  Additionally, I owned Amperior for a few weeks and returned them.  If you are a basshead, they will not be satisfying enough.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4,799 of 11,286
I'd get the D5000 for the simple fact it's going to only get harder and harder to get them as time goes on.  The D5000 are extremely capable headphones and definitely lean towards the bass side of things.  You should not be disappointed with them and I can assure you that there won't be any trouble selling them used if the need arises.  There are better headphones, but the D5000 deserve a listen.

May I know what are the better headphones? - It's gotta be Bassy!

@Craigster, so there isn't any upmarket or highend portable phones which can fight with the d5k? Cos token dog mentioned that there are better out there!

Craigster, I gotta say thx slot for Ur help in advance u have really guide me through my headphone buying. Will still check out the senns amp. Though cos I remember it was seriously noise isolating and also pretty sturdy+comfy but if the sq is not up to par then I will forget abt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back