The Basshead Club
Jan 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4,006 of 11,286
My HTC LTE recently made me cry :'(

I've updated this phone twice.  I wanted this phone because I was hoping Beats Audio would at least be as good as it is on my laptop, but it wasn't.  Hell, not even close.  Luckily for me, the stock player included various EQ's and I found one that gave me the bass I wanted.  So what does HTC do with their second update?  REMOVE THE EQ'S!!!  So now I'm stuck with this horrific, P.O.S, I could **** out of my you-know-what and have better sound quality than this, Beats Audio EQ.  And my only other option?  Turning it off.......so I either get mud with no impact or no bass at all, now.  Here's hoping the third update redeems itself.........Someone hold me :'(

/rant

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #4,007 of 11,286
I'll never have another HTC... When this pig dies it'll be iPhone all the way.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4,012 of 11,286
Guess what guys? I got both the AD900 and the Pro700mkII, and I'm sending the pros back. I've found a way to make the AD900s have more bass than the Pro700MKII. Now that I'm listening to the AD900s, there seems to be more of a sub-bass bump than the "bass" bump in the pros. There is more separation in the mid-bass, and the soundstage is larger than the stock pros. To confirm this, I transplanted the working driver in my old pros (the ones I broke), and put it in the AD900 enclosure. Both of them sounded identical, but the AD900 driver sounded cleaner. There was less congestion in the mid-bass, and it sounded more correct, for lack of a better term, than my modded Pro700MKII drivers. 

Both of them have a 53mm driver, but the magnet on the AD900 is more open in the center, whereas the magnet on the pros have a smaller hole in the center. The larger opening in the center of the magnet on the AD900s allows for more a more open upper midrange and treble. 

So, here's what I did to the AD900s: I gave them much more clamping force, and I put the beyerdynamic gel earpads on them. The stock earpads doesn't create a seal around your ears at all, and there is very little clamp. That's why many people say that there's no bass on the AD900s. You need a good seal and good clamp to get the bass out. The gel pads are perfect for that. I had to bend the wire on top of the AD900s to get them to clamp good, but I'm still trying to work out how to get some more because when I lightly push the headphones against my ear, I get more focused bass. 

I used packing tape to put them on since they're too small for the enclosure. Stock AD900 vs modded: MUCH fuller sounding, much more bass, and the soundstage is unaffected. M-100 what? 
basshead.gif

EDIT: modded pro700mk2 (converted to open) vs modded ad900: ad900 has more control in the lower frequencies, less congestion in the bass, and the soundstage is pretty much the same. Everything else sounds pretty much the same. 

modded pro700mk2 (in my sig) vs modded ad900: the same as above but the ad900 has a wider soundstage. 

blue box m50s (more bass than newer ones) vs modded ad900: lol

hfi 780 vs modded ad900: roflmao

Now that I think about it, this mod should work with the AD1000, AD2000, and the newer revisions of the AD series headphones. 

EDIT 2: I fixed the issue with the bass not sounding focused unless I pushed the headphones against my ears. The problem wasn't clamp, but sound dampening. The bass coming out the back of the headphones was causing the headphone enclosure to reverberate the sound, which made the bass sound kind of flabby. The headphone enclosure, the way it is, isn't made to absorb any excess reverberations from the sound coming out behind the drivers, so I needed to use some kind of material that would help absorb those reverberations and improve the sound: Cotton pads.

I had to get this type of cotton, stab a hole through eight of them (four pads on each side), and stuff them inside the ring thad holds the driver in place. I had to put a hole in it because it would cover the opening in the center of the magnet, thus making the higher frequencies sound vieled. Now, the bass has much less reverberation, and it sounds tighter than it did before. I guess the headphone enclosure wasn't really aimed torwards being bass-centric, so they left out trying to dampen the sound in order to cut costs. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,013 of 11,286
Quote:
Look it up on the play store,I returned my zo2 because of this app

I've tested poweramp but noway it provides as good quality output (as a whole, bass put aside) as if using ZO2. Well it's a good option if you don't care for other than bass I suppose. Using standard player + no EQ + ZO2 provides me a lot better result than using power amp.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #4,015 of 11,286
I've tested poweramp but noway it provides as good quality output (as a whole, bass put aside) as if using ZO2. Well it's a good option if you don't care for other than bass I suppose. Using standard player + no EQ + ZO2 provides me a lot better result than using power amp.

But I did notice with power amp+ a 30$ cmoy from hpa labs, sounded equal it'd not a little better than the zo2

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4,016 of 11,286
Almost everytime I use EQ to boost bass, it seems to do something unwanted to the rest of the spectrum.
I love the ZO because its soo small, and boosts bass without doing anything negative to the mids and highs.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #4,017 of 11,286
How do the D2000 compare to the HE-400's? Like coming from crossfade LP's how would I affect the quality/quantity of bass? The bass is there, but it feels like there's often something missing from the bass.

I heard D2000>He-400 in bass, but the HE-400's design is pretty damn awesome and I think I might buy into the planar electrostatic hype and the D2000's are discontinued and pretty hard to find? I can't find any for like below 500 bucks as opposed to the 350 retail. Any other high end basshead phones with signifigant sub-bass are welcome.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #4,018 of 11,286
Soo, I got Power Amp for my nexus 7, plugged in my Bose OE2, (only headphones that I own, for now), played Two Shots by Lil Wayne, (only because of the bass drop), and turned the bass all the way up on the EQ... I don't know what happened after that, but I swear that I had eardrums before I played the song... Get the app.

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4,019 of 11,286
Soo, I got Power Amp for my nexus 7, plugged in my Bose OE2, (only headphones that I own, for now), played Two Shots by Lil Wayne, (only because of the bass drop), and turned the bass all the way up on the EQ... I didn't know what happened after that, but I swear that I had eardrums before I played the song... Get the app.

Exactly. Best app on android

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4,020 of 11,286
Quote:
Soo, I got Power Amp for my nexus 7, plugged in my Bose OE2, (only headphones that I own, for now), played Two Shots by Lil Wayne, (only because of the bass drop), and turned the bass all the way up on the EQ... I don't know what happened after that, but I swear that I had eardrums before I played the song... Get the app.

Does it make that much more of a difference from the regular equalizer app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back