The Basshead Club
Dec 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #3,752 of 11,286
Craigster:
Oh well, i dont want a bass to explode my ear, though i want to feel it thrump, i want to feel it clear and strong, i listened to the m50 and didnt like the low bass. I also want great SQ as i assume the m50 has. lets say 50-50 regarding the bass volume, quality and bass felt ( is it called transparency?. ). I have never listened to a hi fi headphone. Maybe a simple one for a producer be great for me. This will be my first pair. And im not planning to upgrade any soon. Thanks again a lot !!

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,753 of 11,286
I use to like rockin' IEM's but for reason I can't stand them anymore. I find myself adjusting them every 5 minutes to get a good seal (and get that bass) or they just basically don't feel right inside my ear no matter what. 

Not to fond of on-ears either, that's why I ended up selling my white pearl m-80's despite the great sound.

Its all about over-ears for this guy now. 
beyersmile.png

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3,754 of 11,286
Quote:
Craigster:
Oh well, i dont want a bass to explode my ear, though i want to feel it thrump, i want to feel it clear and strong, i listened to the m50 and didnt like the low bass. I also want great SQ as i assume the m50 has. lets say 50-50 regarding the bass volume, quality and bass felt ( is it called transparency?. ). I have never listened to a hi fi headphone. Maybe a simple one for a producer be great for me. This will be my first pair. And im not planning to upgrade any soon. Thanks again a lot !!

With the M50, are you saying you didn't like the sub-bass because you felt it was lacking or too much?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3,755 of 11,286
Quote:
Is it really that bad? Would I be better off with the HFI-780 or what?

All I can say about the PRO 900 is that it is the brightest headphone I ever heard, but not in a good way; in a harsh way.  You may also want to consider some Beyerdynamics in that price range if you prefer a brighter high end like the Ultrasones.  I have not heard the 780, but based on what I have read it may be a better choice.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3,756 of 11,286
I've heard the DT 770 80 ohms unamped and it didnt have near enough bass quantity. I didn't have a portable amp with me so I couldn't hear the cans to their full potential.. I'm open to other recommendations, I listen to Techno, house, drum and bass, and dubstep! $350 budget closed back is a must.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3,757 of 11,286
Quote:
I've heard the DT 770 80 ohms unamped and it didnt have near enough bass quantity. I didn't have a portable amp with me so I couldn't hear the cans to their full potential.. I'm open to other recommendations, I listen to Techno, house, drum and bass, and dubstep! $350 budget closed back is a must.

That's crazy...95% of DT770-80 owners here and in other forums swear by their bass. It's funny how people judge headphones so differently.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,759 of 11,286
Your lucky bro...be thankful you don't live in Orlando FL

I have a very nice aftermarket sound system in my car and I cant even get it a 1/3 of the volume with some cop pulling me over. Of course if I had a $100,000+ car would be different, those guys rarely get bothered by the cops here. I know this first hand cause I live "right next door" to the rich folks, and they are speeding and blasting their music all the time with no care.
When I had my monster Scion XB in Puerto Rico I WAS BLASTING my music all the time!!!!! Good times...
deadhorse.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,760 of 11,286
Here in Tennessee there the gangsters blasting music, rednecks blasting music, and then there's the small population that actually really cares about music(me!) haha. I've got a noise ordinance warning but honestly having subs is such a social status thing here that people just ignore it. I don't even bother turning my music down when I see a cop half the time.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,761 of 11,286
I do care about music (you have no idea) but I do like to listen to music LOUD but clear and specially the bass.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3,763 of 11,286
Received my Velodyne VTrue tonight!

First impressions out of the box (my first impressions usually don't change much after extensive evaluation)

Portability:  They are heavy and bulky, plus they do not fold.  My M-100 feels feather light after wearing the VTrue.  Their weight feels comparable to Beats Pro.  Build quality is top shelf- solid aluminum and plush leather.  Since they were fresh off the UPS truck, the thick metal was very cold.  I had to search for plastic on this headphone and it is only around the dual cable inputs.  Cables are high quality cloth and seem relatively tangle-free.  Despite size and weight, they are reasonably comfortable.  They are very cool looking in person and feel luxurious.  VTrue is driven reasonably well from my Iphone and responds well to amping.

Sound:  These are clearly basshead cans.  Bass rivals my M-100 in terms of quantity and quality, maybe even a little more punch with VTrue without being boomy.  Mids are detailed and are also comparable to M-100 and UE6000. Mids also seem more forward. Highs are noticeably rolled off compared to the M-100 and even slightly compared to the UE6000, but not as dark as something like the Aiaiai TMA-1 or some of the Pioneer DJ headphones.  I would say these are excellent sounding headphones, but I need more time with them to determine if they are for me.  I consider my M-100s to be my go-to, multi-genre audiophile headphone even though they have been categorized as basshead cans.  I am actually looking for a secondary quality basshead can and will see if these meet my needs over the next few weeks.   If you are looking for a basshead can with deep, tight bass, good midrange detail and don't mind rolled off highs, you may want to check them out.  If I had to compare them to another headphone sonically, I would say they are a classy, improved ATH-PRO700MK2.  These have a luxurious feel that you don't experience with synthetic materials and Velodyne didn't skimp on the build quality.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,764 of 11,286
Well, I finished my open mod of my Pro700MKII. They look horrible now...I used a dremel and drilled out the outside of the headphone, and since the left side of the headphone has a PCB that allows removable cables, there is a piece of plastic hanging out. I'm not wearing these outside, so I really don't care what they look like. I filled in the holes with cotton, and that seemed to remove the OVERLY forward midrange. Plus there is less of a blare in the midrange--a byproduct of opening them up. 

I can truthfully say that there is more detail in this headphone. Actually, these sound more like reference headphones. The pros were "musical" before, and now they sound more analytical. For example, the headphones now sound like a record player, and you hear the little static on it. The pros before had it, but it's more noticeable now that I've allowed the headphones to breath much more. Before, there was a sibilance in the 1K-4K frequency range (I don't know the actual frequency, but it's around there), and now the sibilance is gone. Plus, they sound a bit more balanced. 

The bass of the headphones is noticeably increased, mainly because I've increased the amount of holes the drivers are able to breathe out of. It also sounds more accurate, there is more impact, and it seems to bleed in the frequencies noticeably less than before (when you're running ~36dB of bass boost, it will undoubtedly bleed). It also sounds a bit tighter and spacious.

The midrange is something that I have to get used to. Before the headphone enclosure was stuffed with cotton, there was a blare in the midrange, and it sounded like you just eq'ed the middle frequencies by like ~6dB. If you've tried it out before, then you know exactly what I mean. So, I lowered the values that corresponded to the blare I was hearing (my eq settings had the midrange higher than flat), stuffed in cotton, and that issue was fixed. 

There is more extension in the treble. It still has the same tone (one notch away from neutral), and it is more pleasant to listen to than before. 

The soundstage is much wider that it was before. It extends away from my ears more, and it projects in front and behind me better. This is the most noticeable improvement over the original pros. It is also easier to pick out where things are at because there is more space in the soundstage. 

I've only listened to them for about an hour, but that's all it really takes for me to notice the sound differences between before and after. So far, I'm really liking the way they sound, and they've stopped me from buying the DT990/600...In the future I'll pick up a pair of the ATH-AD900 and swap out the drivers. They have the same driver size, the gel earpads should fit a bit better, and they are better constructed than these headphones. The wings on the top should also improve the comfort. It'll also look much better than what my headphones look like right now (HIDEOUS). I think that all of those factors make it worth $200. 

I'm still toying with the eq, so it's going to take me some time to find the sweet spot for these headphones now. 

EDIT: I'm blasting out my ears right now, and my ears aren't fatiguing anymore. Before I did this, the upper frequencies would really mess my ears up (I have tinnitus in my right ear), and whenever I hear a certain frequency (upper midrange), my ear would start sounding like there is a crackling sound. Now, everything sounds a bit more subdued and more pleasant, which is a huge plus for me. I'm listening to music on the loudest volume that I couldn't before, and there is no problem with my ear. Before, I couldn't listen to the songs at loud volumes because my tinnitus would prevent me from doing so. These headphones are so much more enjoyable now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back