The Basshead Club
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3,436 of 11,286
Thank you for some feedback on the PRO 500 as I really don't want to buy them, but am curious how they sound.  So you are saying they sound comparable to their $200 IEMs and are asking $400 for a Beats clone?  If so, thank you for eliminating my curiosity.

Regarding the Velodyne's, I agree about the looks, but their subwoofers are so good and the VPulse is said to have solid bass, so I am thinking the VTrue could be something special for bassheads.

Their build is solid, definitely better than any beats, but they're heavy and somewhat uncomfortable, and just look very goofy when on worn. As far as the EPH-100's, I love them and have been using them daily for about a year, I stopped using the ZO the day I bought them. So as far as saying they sound like the EPH is nothing but praise, I only used them for about an hour as I knew I would not be keeping them the second I looked in the mirror. I did an A/B against and MDR 1R that has about 50 hours on them, and the PRO's definitely have more bass, better bass texture and impact, mids are there and not recessed, and the highs are nice w/o sibilance (this is straight out the box on an iPhone 5 with 320 mp3's). I sent both the PRO 500 and MDR 1R back to Amazon today, whether they're worth the $400 asking price is really up to the consumer, I guess they figured if beats can get away with their nonsense pricing then why not.
The PRO 300 are smaller and cheaper, may be worth looking in to, but my next stop will be the AKG 267, as I've heard pretty much everything else out there in this price range (portables) and have been disappointed.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #3,437 of 11,286
Quote:
I'm waiting for the K267's too; the upgrade in build quality alone is enough for me to pick it over the K167. It has been delayed though... again.
Remind you of a recent product?

I am very interested in hearing some responses to the K267's. I'm looking for a (little) more balanced can to go with my crossfades while still being able to satisfy my bass needs. I've been listening to a lot of Happy Hardcore, Euro Dance, and other variations of Trance so impact is starting to mean more to me. I'll never get over the feeling of an awesome Dubstep or DnB sub bass drop though...
basshead.gif
!  Looking at putting these haed to head against the Dt770's (80ohm) for my next purchase!

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3,438 of 11,286
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #3,440 of 11,286
The HDJ 2000 are well worth their $200 asking price, and now in black they are tempting again (I sold off the originals this summer). Their build and materials have yet to be matched, and I believe they were the first to use memory foam ear cushions (correct me if I am wrong). But I definitely needed the ZO when using them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,441 of 11,286
The HDJ 2000 are well worth their $200 asking price, and now in black they are tempting again (I sold off the originals this summer). Their build and materials have yet to be matched, and I believe they were the first to use memory foam ear cushions (correct me if I am wrong). But I definitely needed the ZO when using them.

I read somewhere that they lacked subbass extension. Can you comment on that? Also could you get that eartickling bass with the ZO?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,442 of 11,286
The 770/80s are quite different than the other beyers. The have a bit more heavy duty driver (more bass less air) which makes them a very nice low distortion can (most bassy beyer). The mids in this can are dark but I love it (looks less recessed than 100s though, these are used to monitor in studios even by Trent Reznor from NIN). Sound staging is really good for a closed can. The dt880 and 990 will open up the soundstage even further, but reducing bass. The 770/80s are good without a headphone amp but a noticeable step up with a low output impedance amp. I had the XB1000s - they sucked (for me) and returned them.
The m100s by freq response should have more bass and more recessed mids when compared to the 770/80s, the trick is finding that sweet spot for what makes you groove along with your music!

To be entirely honest, I just joined this forum in October, was wishy washy about whether I wanted the Momentum or M-100, pullled the trigger on the latter, and since then, I already have my eyes set on the Lyr, DT770 (unsure if I'll go 80/250/600, considering I have my eyes on the almighty LYR), Mad Dog, DT1350, and now that I'm in this thread, I feel the need to try more basshead cans. A junglist needs bass. 

So WHEN I do end up expanding my headphone collection, which is imminent, I'll be sure to throw around comparisons. 

As much as I'm sure I'll be happy with the M-100, I know it's not going to satisfy my every need (I love bass, but crave neutrality)

How are the mids in the DT770? are they recessed? Is the bass any less impactful in the DT880/DT990?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,443 of 11,286
You will be happy with these, especially with an amp. Make sure they are 80 ohm for that deep sub bass.
Yea you might be right :'[ *tear Drop*

I've found some Dt 770 Pro 80's on eBay for around $140. So at about half the price of the Xb1000s... gonna take them first and formost! If I ever sell my Xb700 I'll go the the 1000. as most 700 users agree... the 1000 is an improvement over the XB700

Did you ever try the Xb700, if you hated it to then well you just don't like the XB sound <3. I do how ever... but my wallet likes Dt 770 pro 80's new at $140 :x

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3,444 of 11,286
Quote:
The 770/80s are quite different than the other beyers. The have a bit more heavy duty driver (more bass less air) which makes them a very nice low distortion can (most bassy beyer). The mids in this can are dark but I love it (looks less recessed than 100s though, these are used to monitor in studios even by Trent Reznor from NIN). Sound staging is really good for a closed can. The dt880 and 990 will open up the soundstage even further, but reducing bass. The 770/80s are good without a headphone amp but a noticeable step up with a low output impedance amp. I had the XB1000s - they sucked (for me) and returned them.
The m100s by freq response should have more bass and more recessed mids when compared to the 770/80s, the trick is finding that sweet spot for what makes you groove along with your music!

Would a ZO power the 770/80? I haven't even thought of the XB line to be entirely honest. Not my preferred signature. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #3,445 of 11,286
Quote:
... btw where did you test them... I think all of those are Open Air cans and open cans have NO BASS unless your by your self... as ANY noise that leaks in will kill ALL of the bass... the Dt 880s are pretty bad for that. ANd a 5k amp doesn't make it a good amp. Synergy is a big deal with cans. In addition there is the songs you used to test them with :3
Indeed it is :D and the Dt 880 has VERY MILD BASS, the Dt 880 IS NOT A BASS CAN, the Dt 990 is open air and is Mid Bass Focused where as the dt 770 is closed and more Sub Focused I belive [which is great because I need a new Sub can <3] 

Dang, this thread decided to blow up. Anyways, I found the amp/dac they had. It's a Burson Audio HA-160DS. Turns out to be only $1000 
rolleyes.gif
.  According to the specs of the unit, it actually has some great components in it, but I'd take a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo over it any day. As far as the music, all of the music was FLAC lossless. The area was pretty quiet, and it wasn't loud enough for it to affect the headphones (some talking on the phone in the next room, walking around), and some research I did on the unit implies that it has pretty good synergy on the LCD-2's at least, but then again, I believe that amp synergy is way overhyped. The users that posted in this thread basically cover what I believe is what synergy really is, and the specification aspect of it doesn't seem to affect the Burson amp/dac. I only mention the LCD-2s because I don't care much for the grados. They're basically the opposite of what I want in a headphone, minus their great soundstage. Heck, Grado shouldn't even be allowed to be mentioned in this thread 
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3,446 of 11,286
Quote:
Again, how are the mids in the Tiestos, and how do they compare to the K267? They're a little gaudy for me, but if they sound good, they just won't leave home. 
I'm having a problem with all these basshead cans, they seem to sacrifice lush musical mids and instead go for peaky highs.

IS THERE A CAN.... That does bass stupid well, but does not sacrifice the musicality in mids, or too treble peaky? I WAS going to pull the trigger on the DT770, but if mids are being sacrificed, I can't go for that and be happy. I already have the M-100's on their way to me and I know I'm gonna be missing my mids, just from the discussion page.

The mids are detailed and clear. The K267s are not out yet (January).

Quote:
IS THERE A CAN.... That does bass stupid well, but does not sacrifice the musicality in mids, or too treble peaky? I WAS going to pull the trigger on the DT770, but if mids are being sacrificed, I can't go for that and be happy. I already have the M-100's on their way to me and I know I'm gonna be missing my mids, just from the discussion page.

Yes, there is. The K167. Have a look at the thread but READ it all (comparisons with D2000, Momentum, UE6000, etc).

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #3,447 of 11,286
Quote:

Would a ZO power the 770/80? I haven't even thought of the XB line to be entirely honest. Not my preferred signature. 

chiming in abit late here, but yes, if i remember correctly (though i may be wrong), the zo is like most other portable amps and can drive 16-300 ohm headphones. im pretty sure it will be able to handle the dt770/80.

you also wrote somewhere you were looking for a can with good sub bass? well so am i, have you considered the audio technica a900x? im currently looking at those and the k167. hard to find reviews on the a900x but i remember someone on the forum saying theyr the next best thing to the denon d2k as far as subbass goes.

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3,448 of 11,286
What's up fellow BASSHEADS?!!!!!!! 
basshead.gif

Alright, so I've been lucky enough to come across a (possible) $300 because of work I'm doing for family.  Now I'm looking for some headphones that are more comfortable and have better impactful bass than my Ultrasone DJ-1.  Anyone think I'll find something better for around $300?  Or should I just stop worrying about the little things and enjoy my headphones?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #3,450 of 11,286
Quote:
What's up fellow BASSHEADS?!!!!!!! 
basshead.gif

Alright, so I've been lucky enough to come across a (possible) $300 because of work I'm doing for family.  Now I'm looking for some headphones that are more comfortable and have better impactful bass than my Ultrasone DJ-1.  Anyone think I'll find something better for around $300?  Or should I just stop worrying about the little things and enjoy my headphones?

If you like their signature, perhaps you might like the Pro900s. Or you could pick up an amp. Or try modding them for teh bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back