The Basshead Club
Dec 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3,391 of 11,286
Just a heads up as an ex-XB1000 owner, the DT770/80s I found have MORE sub bass, better soundstage, less leakage and not 1/10th as muddy as the XB1000s (my god they are muddy).
*Important* I'm pretty sensitive to higher frequencies and the XBs also caused fatigue for me, there must be a peak or two in its response.
I would highly suggest to look elsewhere when considering the XB1000s.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3,392 of 11,286
Quote:
Just a heads up as an ex-XB1000 owner, the DT770/80s I found have MORE sub bass, better soundstage, less leakage and not 1/10th as muddy as the XB1000s (my god they are muddy).
*Important* I'm pretty sensitive to higher frequencies and the XBs also caused fatigue for me, there must be a peak or two in its response.
I would highly suggest to look elsewhere when considering the XB1000s.

NOOOOOO Don't tell me that q.q Oh wait did you mod your Xb 1000's [I have the Xb700 and modding it reduced the fatigue and improved detail]. But yea I did see that the Dt 770 had some SERIOUS sub and Mid bass peakage

still headphones are purely Subjective so I'd have to listen for my self... but the appeal is there... since the Dt's are CHEAPER <.<... I might just take your advice and GO FOR THEM

In addition... sadly I went an read NwAvGuy's review and he subjected the Pro 770 80ohm to having more Sub Bass then the D2000... Dang that there sold me on them... which is nice because i like Byer and Why not buy a can from them for SUB BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, as they are sure to beat the poor XB700s xD

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,393 of 11,286
Quote:
... I'm definatly willing to drop $5 and get Power amp :O so good to hear a recommendation :3. I use a free EQ on the my Droid that works pretty well, although I have found all "bass boost" suck the bass out of my XB700s from my Kycoera Hydro Phone... it's running Ice Cream Sandwhich... but I like the free and will stick wid it [don't want to even ATTEMPT to BUY better phone sound since my phone is only used when all of my 3 daps are dead e.e] 

Oh man that gets me thinking that soon I'm going tp get a nexus 4 soon and I'm soooo excited xD It doesn't have expandable storage which kind of sucks but the built in storage will be bigger than my current SD xD I'll let you know how it runs power amp runs on it. By the way my Incrfedible runs 2.2 Fryoyo so you should fine on that hydra xD

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,394 of 11,286
The sony XB sound really doesn't work for me. I've heard the XB500 and 700s as well. I find too much mid bass makes things too muddy for me but love sub bass. Out of the XB series I enjoyed the XB700s (most sub bass) the most however it was too sibilant for me. Going back to my Beyers from the XB1000s was a godsend.
Has anyone compared the DT770/80 to the Vmoda M100? I've been considering them for a second pair.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #3,395 of 11,286
Quote:

Oh man that gets me thinking that soon I'm going tp get a nexus 4 soon and I'm soooo excited xD It doesn't have expandable storage which kind of sucks but the built in storage will be bigger than my current SD xD I'll let you know how it runs power amp runs on it. By the way my Incrfedible runs 2.2 Fryoyo so you should fine on that hydra xD

maybe but who knows, different DAC chips in them I'm sure besides... I'm going to buy a Cowon DAP in the spring so I can w8 three months for that. I like teh cheapo eq I got on my phone now! Makes Di.fm sound better.

Although I mostly use di.fm in class when I'm charing my daps :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,397 of 11,286
So is it safe to say that DT770 80ohm (perhaps 250/600, not sure the difference in terms of quality) is the best fullsized, closed can for sub bass, detail, and imaging, within the sub $300 range?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,398 of 11,286
So is it safe to say that DT770 80ohm (perhaps 250/600, not sure the difference in terms of quality) is the best fullsized, closed can for sub bass, detail, and imaging, within the sub $300 range?

The 770s are the best I've come across especially when comparing to the XB lineup. Vmodas M100s look interesting though. The 770s image really well, sound a bit dark (perk or downfall depending on taste), are not muddy (lots of bass cans are) and have very low distortion even at 100db.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,399 of 11,286
The 770s are the best I've come across especially when comparing to the XB lineup. Vmodas M100s look interesting though. The 770s image really well, sound a bit dark (perk or downfall depending on taste), are not muddy (lots of bass cans are) and have very low distortion even at 100db.

I have m100s on their way to me, but imaging is supposedly more deep than wide, while detail is fine in the Bass and highs, the recessed mids might lend to the odd imaging, and perhaps lack of detail in the mids.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #3,400 of 11,286
Quote:
I have m100s on their way to me, but imaging is supposedly more deep than wide, while detail is fine in the Bass and highs, the recessed mids might lend to the odd imaging, and perhaps lack of detail in the mids.

I'm excited to hear what you think of them. Have you heard the DT770/80s? Would be nice to see them compared!

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,402 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm excited to hear what you think of them. Have you heard the DT770/80s? Would be nice to see them compared!

To be entirely honest, I just joined this forum in October, was wishy washy about whether I wanted the Momentum or M-100, pullled the trigger on the latter, and since then, I already have my eyes set on the Lyr, DT770 (unsure if I'll go 80/250/600, considering I have my eyes on the almighty LYR), Mad Dog, DT1350, and now that I'm in this thread, I feel the need to try more basshead cans. A junglist needs bass. 

So WHEN I do end up expanding my headphone collection, which is imminent, I'll be sure to throw around comparisons. 

As much as I'm sure I'll be happy with the M-100, I know it's not going to satisfy my every need (I love bass, but crave neutrality)

How are the mids in the DT770? are they recessed? Is the bass any less impactful in the DT880/DT990?

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,403 of 11,286
Well, I got a short chance to hear some expensive headphones today, and they really didn't wow me given the price tag (LCD-2, GS1000i, and RS1i). I'll try to keep this short because I could type forever about this (I actually typed a lot on it, but I deleted it because I got tired of revising it...)

Source: some super expensive class A amp/dac (around $5k)

LCD-2: 
Good soundstage depth, but very left/right feeling. It didn't sound very unified. 
Airy sounding and very good separation
Not that comfortable. Leather is hard, and they sit firmly on your head. It has some good clamp on them, but nothing crazy. 
The seal isn't that great because the headphones are very large.
No bass

GS1000i
Best soundstage out of the three. It sounded very 3d and complete. 
Too bright
Comfort just sucks. The foam feels pretty rough. Very little clamp
Airy sounding and good separation
Impossible to get a good seal on these. 
Forware midrange
No bass

RS1i
Very good soundstage that's similar to the GS1000i
Less treble than the GS1000is. Pretty similar to the LCD-2s
Midrange is a tad bit recessed compared to GS1000i, but both are forward.
Airy sounding and good separation
Comfort sucks on these too. Its basically just like the GS1000i, but the pads are sitting on your ears instead of around them.
No bass

I'm sure that if I had the chance to eq these headphones, they would have a much more prominent bass. Heck, even my headphones don't have any bass quantity when I don't eq them. Maybe if/when I go back there, I'll ask the people that work there if I can borrow the LCD-2s. Probably won't happen, but it's worth a shot. Something that one of the guys said there that really got me was that people were returning the Denon D7100s because they didn't sound that good. 

Compared to my headphones, all of the ones mentioned above are brighter, have a larger soundstage in height, width, and depth, better separation, and are airier sounding. As far as detail goes, I really cant say. The source and the music was different from mine, but when I was listening to them, I was thinking that, detail wise, my headphones weren't that far behind. In fact, it was pretty darn close, especially for the massive price difference. If I had to choose between the three headphones, I would get the LCD-2s. Then, I would sell them 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 loljk (maybe I would...).

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #3,405 of 11,286
the dt770 pro 80oms is the bass heavy one not the 250 or 600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back