The Basshead Club
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #3,211 of 11,286
Quote:
Looking at the list in the OP, some of the headphones could be considered "warm", should I add warm headphones to the list and give them a warm label?

Nah don't add warm to the bass head can. A lot of cans are warm but not enough to have the fun over emphazied bass head sound. :D but that's just my opinon ^^ 

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,212 of 11,286
You're getting on to something, but I wouldn't add headphones that are just warm. This is a basshead club, not a "warmhead" club. What we can do denote our basshead headhpone archive for their sonical differences. For example, the pro700mk2, lcd-2/3, and d2000 are warm headphones that can pump out some bass.

If it were me, I would also throw in bright and dark too. Some headphones like the dt990, pro 900, dt770 (?), and the hfi-580 are some of the brighter basshead headphones. The dark title would fit for the Sony XB series, the pro700mk2, and the beats headphones.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,213 of 11,286
I disagree, i think such a list would be an improvement. and i agree with trae that giving more info on the cans on the list would also be an improvement.

on a different note, any impressions on the new akg k167's yet?

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,214 of 11,286
When I first joined this forum I started to realize the poorness of Beats and the value of high quality headphones. So I asked a friend (through text) about Beats because I knew he had a pair. The conversation as followed...

Me: You own a pair of beats by dr. Dre dont you?
He: Yea
Me: Do you feel that they are the best? i am doing a small census, no worries
He: They are the best in my opinion
Me: Have you tried other headphones? not including other beats or skullcandy or apple ibuds
He: Skull candies are next in line under beats
Me: Would you say Beats are the best headphones in the world?
HE: Yes

Well then.. :D

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,215 of 11,286
This is a great thread for bass cans, please do not turn it into another one of those annoying Beats bashing threads.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3,218 of 11,286
Quote:
Looking at the list in the OP, some of the headphones could be considered "warm", should I add warm headphones to the list and give them a warm label?

Well, that's a good idea, and to expand on it, we can have different labels for the Basshead cans. For example -

Dark
AIAIAI TMA-1
Audio-Technica PRO700MK2

Bright
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

Or we could label them per headphone. For example -

Audio-Technica PRO700MK2 (Dark, Punchy)
V-MODA Crossfade LP2 (Dark, Very Bassy)
Ultrasone HFI 580 (Bright, Punchy)

Only issue is, how are we going to go about separating them? 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3,219 of 11,286
Quote:

Well, that's a good idea, and to expand on it, we can have different labels for the Basshead cans. For example -

Dark
AIAIAI TMA-1
Audio-Technica PRO700MK2

Bright
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

biggrin.gif

What about a circular representation with a 1 to 10 scale- left to right could be less bass to more bass; south to north could be dark to bright.  So, for example, the PRO700MK2 would be somewhere in the lower right quadrant.  This way you could identify "bassiness" as well as signature in one chart.  I don't have the Excel skills to configure, but I can visualize it.  A poll here could help with consensus on quadrant placement.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3,220 of 11,286
I might be able to make an excel template, but if I do that, I'll want to do everything else (dark, bright, detail, form factor, driveability, soundstage, etc.). I can also upload it somewhere so other people can contribute (google docs or something). If this ever gets big, I can see this as something beneficial to the whole head-fi community, not just the basshead club, and it could expand to other headphones/iems as well. This picture defines what my vision of this could be like:

Just substitute the end points with audio characteristics. Heck, we can even throw in a fr chart for some of these headphones.

The main downside to this is that we have different sources, tastes, and ears, so it will be hard to remain as objective as possible with all of these variables in play. The main people that can contribute to this are people that have a source that is able to drive most of the headphones out there, and someone who can share their info with multiple headphones. So everybody, ship all of your headphones to me :D

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,221 of 11,286
Quote:

Dark
AIAIAI TMA-1
Audio-Technica PRO700MK2

Bright
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone HFI 780

biggrin.gif

In fact I also think that is a awesome idea! ANd seperating them would be simple, have a Bright and Dark section. or possibly have an additional Tab in the main list for Bright and dark. People will see All the cans listed then they can decide if they want to view the Bright and Dark sub lists! 

But nice man :D

Also, I don't think we really need to talk about sound sig much more than BRight or Dark, as that's a little to much... but HEY maybe we can be like the top 50 flagship and do a HARD CORE list of all the bass head cans! That would be cool. if we add sound sig to the listed cans we should go 100% mini review or no review at all I think :3

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #3,224 of 11,286
Quote:
What about a circular representation with a 1 to 10 scale- left to right could be less bass to more bass; south to north could be dark to bright.  So, for example, the PRO700MK2 would be somewhere in the lower right quadrant.  This way you could identify "bassiness" as well as signature in one chart.  I don't have the Excel skills to configure, but I can visualize it.  A poll here could help with consensus on quadrant placement.

Yeah, I like your idea, but the chart is going to be huge. Maybe we could populate the chart with some good examples that are representative of the sound signature in general? This could really help bassheads identify the different types of bassy cans. 
smile.gif

Quote:
In fact I also think that is a awesome idea! ANd seperating them would be simple, have a Bright and Dark section. or possibly have an additional Tab in the main list for Bright and dark. People will see All the cans listed then they can decide if they want to view the Bright and Dark sub lists! 

But nice man :D

Also, I don't think we really need to talk about sound sig much more than BRight or Dark, as that's a little to much... but HEY maybe we can be like the top 50 flagship and do a HARD CORE list of all the bass head cans! That would be cool. if we add sound sig to the listed cans we should go 100% mini review or no review at all I think :3

Yep, like Craigster mentioned, we could split the list between 4 points - Bright, Dark, Less to More Bass. I think that could be a helpful tool for everyone.

If everyone agrees. we can start nominating cans by following the template below -

Bass Quantity: 0 - 10 (this would be plotted from Left to Right)
Tonality: Bright or Dark (0 - 10; 0 being very bright and 10 being very dark) (this would be plotted from North to South)

Some examples -

XB500
Bass Quantity: 9.5
Tonality: 8

Thus, the XB500 would be somewhere at the far-lower right corner of the chart.

HFI 580
Bass Quantity: 7
Tonality: 3

Thus, the HFI 580 would be somewhere in the middle right of the chart.

It's going to be hard to rate the different aspects, so who wants to go ahead and nominate some cans to start with (apart from the aforementioned 2)?

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,225 of 11,286
Quote:
Bass Quantity: 0 - 10 (this would be plotted from Left to Right) Tonality: Bright or Dark (0 - 10; 0 being very bright and 10 being very dark) (this would be plotted from North to South)

Some examples -

XB500
Bass Quantity: 9.5
Tonality: 8

Thus, the XB500 would be somewhere at the far-lower right corner of the chart.

HFI 580
Bass Quantity: 7
Tonality: 3

Thus, the HFI 580 would be somewhere in the middle right of the chart.

It's going to be hard to rate the different aspects, so who wants to go ahead and nominate some cans to start with (apart from the aforementioned 2)?

I think for the purposes of the basshead club, since more bass is desirable for most here, I would like to start with some of the bassiest:
V-Moda LP2
ATH-PRO700MK2
M-Audio Q40
Beats Pro
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Logitech UE6000/ 9000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back