The Basshead Club
Sep 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #2,776 of 11,286
Quote:

I don't really have all of the head-fi vernacular so here goes nothing.

I've changed the tips to get what I think is the best fit.  I have had westone 3's, I still have my yamaha eph-100's, jvc fx101, velodyne vPulses, monoprices and I just don't get the feeling that these have much low end punch.  Even with my EQ'ed htc one x as my music source I can't really seem to get these to really bump.  These seem to be on the level of my ath ck6's.  Maybe I got a bad pair.  Such a shame since these are beautiful and incredibly well built. 

I actually bought them because I remember reading your post about them and saw them at the apple store today.  I'm going to give them the full 14 days and I'm curious to see if they get significantly better than my other options.  

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far with the C5.  It could still be burn-in as I recall the bass improving over time.  It could also be a bad pair or just our subjective listening experiences varying.  For me, the best all-around bass I ever heard in a headphone (quality and quantity bass + sub bass) is a tie between the ATH-PRO700MK2 and the M-Audio Q40 (both circumaural).  If those are a 10, I would give the C5 at least a 7.5 and feel that they are bassier than several of the headphones on the basshead list.  I believe their frequency chart shows highly elevated bass.  While I have not heard the V-Pulse, it would very likely have more bass and sub bass than the C5, but I don't know it would match the overall sound quality which has value to my ears as well.  I have returned several headphones this year that didn't meet expectation and have come to realize that someone's ideal headphone is a unique and personal choice.  I'm glad to hear you are able to return them if they are not for you.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #2,777 of 11,286
Quote:
Regarding the XB line, I agree on quality and bass, but not so sure on style.  I think the cushions on the current models are so big they are embarrassing.  Also, have you seen the X-10?  Looks more like a kid's toy than a quality headphone.

Sadly, this headphone is now available while I am still waiting for MUCH better choices in the same price range including M-100, Momentum, K267 Tiesto and others.

QwTjmW

I really hope the X-10 is just an XB8/900 in a different shell. Those cans look a little bit.. gaudy to me.

Anyway, I've read a review of the X-10, and the reviewer claims they sport a similar design to Beats. Huh?? 
blink.gif

The review: http://mashable.com/2012/09/10/sony-x10-review/#87299Sony-and-Simon-Cowell-Introduce-X10-Headphones

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #2,778 of 11,286
Quote:

I really hope the X-10 is just an XB8/900 in a different shell. Those cans look a little bit.. gaudy to me.

Anyway, I've read a review of the X-10, and the reviewer claims they sport a similar design to Beats. Huh?? 
blink.gif

The review: http://mashable.com/2012/09/10/sony-x10-review/#87299Sony-and-Simon-Cowell-Introduce-X10-Headphones

Apparently some reviewers lack creativity and compare every closed portable can with bass presence, earcups and a headband as similar to Beats :)  It drives me crazy when some say the Denon Music Maniac line looks like Beats....huh?  IMO, the only new headphone that REALLY looks like Beats is the Yamaha Pro line.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #2,779 of 11,286
Well I still love my XB 700 [Sony] and on that note HELLO again [I've been gone for a while]

I hae good news! I'm beefing up my portable Rig for MORE bass, going with a E11 and a Cowon Z2 :3, the Cowon has a SWEET EQ and the E11 has the power I want! Still that leave me with a Zune HD and E6... what to do with them ;3

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,780 of 11,286
Love my S4s but would like an on-ear, needless to state it needs decent bass!

I'm looking at Mixr, TMA-1, M80, Klipsch image one. I would like an inline mic/remote.

The Mixr and TMA-1 I can listen to at the Apple store the other two are a bit more of a struggle. Anyone got any thoughts on the above list?

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,781 of 11,286
Quote:
Love my S4s but would like an on-ear, needless to state it needs decent bass!
I'm looking at Mixr, TMA-1, M80, Klipsch image one. I would like an inline mic/remote.
The Mixr and TMA-1 I can listen to at the Apple store the other two are a bit more of a struggle. Anyone got any thoughts on the above list?

I would rule out Mixr just because it is Beats and I believe same driver as Solo which is not so great.  I find the TMA-1 very dark/veiled.  The Klipsch Image One's bass distorts at modest listening levels which leaves you with the M-80 that is a very good choice in an on-ear headphone if that type is important to you.  V-Moda has a 60-day return.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,782 of 11,286
Thanks for the response Craigster, having listened to the Mixr albeit not in ideal circumstances I was quite surprised, I heard the Solo at the same time and there is no comparison. That said i suspect they're well overpriced!

Good to get the info on the Klipsch as they seemed to be a good option given their price. The M80s were looking promising as I love their styling but that's not enough on its own. Any others you can think of I should consider that have the mic/remote, even circumnaural as long as they're not massive or need amping?

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,783 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks for the response Craigster, having listened to the Mixr albeit not in ideal circumstances I was quite surprised, I heard the Solo at the same time and there is no comparison. That said i suspect they're well overpriced!
Good to get the info on the Klipsch as they seemed to be a good option given their price. The M80s were looking promising as I love their styling but that's not enough on its own. Any others you can think of I should consider that have the mic/remote, even circumnaural as long as they're not massive or need amping?

Aerial7 Phoenix have a mic and have pretty good bass in my opinion.

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,784 of 11,286
Quote:

Lots of potentially awesome circumaural headphones coming out right now and in the next few weeks.  Check out this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626316/closed-mid-fi-portable-battle-2012-discussion-v2/105#post_8696781

This is a great time to be headphone shopping!

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #2,787 of 11,286
sennheiser momentum has been released in UK. you guys might know that already but I already saw a review but it was bad so I'm waiting for any head fiers based in the UK to make a review.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2,789 of 11,286
Can anyone explain why headphones with prominent bass are considered coloured?

To expand on the question, I've been to many concerts, classical, rock, hiphop, electronic (never jazz) and the one thing that has always jumped out for me was the depth and power of the bass, certainly compared to domestic hifi sound. The only exceptions have been some rock and hiphop gigs when the quality of the sound was seemingly sacrificed for volume.

Yet time and again I see on these forums critism of headphones with, for want of a better word, prominent bass, for being coloured or exaggerated. To my mind they are more realistic than thinner sounding gear. I have owned many LPs and CDs with (IMO) rubbish production for precisely this reason, thin scratchy sound when the same artist live produced a deep powerful sound.

Thoughts anyone.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back