The Basshead Club
Aug 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,596 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks
beerchug.gif

Breaking the list even further and adding more detail could be a good idea, however the OP did break a couple of times. A survey would be good too, but polls can not be updated to include new choices. I guess I can manually count the headphones in the replies, which will work, but I don't have much time over the coming weeks so I guess that will have to wait.

Thanks again for the suggestion
beerchug.gif

Good suggestion, Craigster. I think basshead cans are an extremely popular type of headphones for most people out there. I would venture as far as to say most new to the headphone scene are always on the lookout for a headphone with good bass properties.

Maybe we could create a splinter thread to vote for a top 10 list? The results can be pasted in this thread. Your opinions or suggestions? :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,597 of 11,286
Quote:

Good suggestion, Craigster. I think basshead cans are an extremely popular type of headphones for most people out there. I would venture as far as to say most new to the headphone scene are always on the lookout for a headphone with good bass properties.

Maybe we could create a splinter thread to vote for a top 10 list? The results can be pasted in this thread. Your opinions or suggestions? :)

I like your idea of the thread.  Perhaps we could start with nominations and look for support of those nominations?  I would also like to separate top basshead cans between brighter (Ultrasones), darker (Aiaia TMA-1, ATH-PRO700MK2, Pioneers) and those that are more neutral (M-Audio Q40).  Also, I am keeping an eye out for the Utrasone Signature DJ which, IMO, has the potential to be king of the Summit-fi basshead cans.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2,599 of 11,286
[size=medium]The only problem I see with a poll is that very few of us have heard multiple basshead headphones.  So it would end up just being a popularity contest and not a true ranking.[/size]

[size=medium]One thing that has been rolling around in my head, and I'm sure it has been done before, would be a meet and greet in various areas of the country where everyone brings their favorite cans, and allows each other to listen to them.[/size]

[size=medium]So here's to a basshead meet in the San Antonio, TX area[/size].  
dt880smile.png

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,600 of 11,286
The awkward moment struck me a few days ago when I found out how sibilant XB500 are AFTER having used Q40 for quite a while. I never had probs with XB500's highs but I ordered a SRS "Listen" amp from a chinese DIYer for a cheap price just out of cuoriousity and being used to ZO2's bass boost and now listen with no bass boost applied with this amp I notice how XB500 is even brighter than Q40 and Q40 is just very conveniently smooth in the upper-mids and highs for me. I'm still baffled at Craigster having probs with sibilance on Q40. :p

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2,601 of 11,286
Quote:
The awkward moment struck me a few days ago when I found out how sibilant XB500 are AFTER having used Q40 for quite a while. I never had probs with XB500's highs but I ordered a SRS "Listen" amp from a chinese DIYer for a cheap price just out of cuoriousity and being used to ZO2's bass boost and now listen with no bass boost applied with this amp I notice how XB500 is even brighter than Q40 and Q40 is just very conveniently smooth in the upper-mids and highs for me. I'm still baffled at Craigster having probs with sibilance on Q40. :p

DeanKeith,
Since I might be the only one to complain about sibilance on the Q40, please take that particular opinion with a grain of salt.  I do think the Q40s offer the most natural and balanced sound reproduction of the "heavyweight" basshead cans, although I still feel they lack detail.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2,602 of 11,286
I don't think they lack in detail at all, not when amped, ampless = yes! Now I haven't tested a FiiO E11 but I know both ZO2.1 and the recently cheap SRS listen amp (~$42) it sounds very detailed with both. With FiiO E5 and ZO2.3 I don't find them that detailed though so I'm guessing they are picky with amp synergy. The fact that I get that big difference comparing ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 tells already quite a lot, other headphones I have wasn't that picky comparing ZO2.3 vs ZO2.1 and for example XB500 sounds better with ZO2.3 than ZO2.1 while Q40 greatly prefers 2.1 and HTF600 just barely sounds better with 2.1 vs 2.3 (almost a tie though).

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,603 of 11,286
Quote:
I don't think they lack in detail at all, not when amped, ampless = yes! Now I haven't tested a FiiO E11 but I know both ZO2.1 and the recently cheap SRS listen amp (~$42) it sounds very detailed with both. With FiiO E5 and ZO2.3 I don't find them that detailed though so I'm guessing they are picky with amp synergy. The fact that I get that big difference comparing ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 tells already quite a lot, other headphones I have wasn't that picky comparing ZO2.3 vs ZO2.1 and for example XB500 sounds better with ZO2.3 than ZO2.1 while Q40 greatly prefers 2.1 and HTF600 just barely sounds better with 2.1 vs 2.3 (almost a tie though).

I'm wondering why M-Audio hasn't expanded into the portable headphone market when they have a strong foundation to build on with the Q40.  With a few tweaks like lower impedance, improved dampening and earpads and do something with the thin, fragile wires coming out of the cups, they would have a solid portable headphone.  Regarding my detail comment, I believe they give up detail to comparably priced Shures, Sennheiser HD380 and others.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #2,604 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey I got a question, I've been looking at 2 Panasonic models, the Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones and the Technics RP-DJ1200A. Are these models known for being bass heavy?

I'm going to assume no one has had experience with these Panasonic's since there hasn't been a reply to post.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,605 of 11,286
Quote:
DeanKeith,
Since I might be the only one to complain about sibilance on the Q40, please take that particular opinion with a grain of salt.  I do think the Q40s offer the most natural and balanced sound reproduction of the "heavyweight" basshead cans, although I still feel they lack detail.

Thanks for keeping me in mind.  I have pretty much decided to get the Q40s.  All I'm doing now is waiting to make sure they end up on the next billing cycle of my credit card.  heh

Quote:
I'm wondering why M-Audio hasn't expanded into the portable headphone market when they have a strong foundation to build on with the Q40.  With a few tweaks like lower impedance, improved dampening and earpads and do something with the thin, fragile wires coming out of the cups, they would have a solid portable headphone.  Regarding my detail comment, I believe they give up detail to comparably priced Shures, Sennheiser HD380 and others.

I have been familiar with M-Audio for quite a while now... and their products seem to almost [size=11pt]exclusively [/size]focus on pro-audio.  So Portable headphones are just not part of their profile.  On the other hand, they have got to be aware that the Q40 headphones are selling way more than they should for just studio people... and it does seem like they could make some cash if they just took what they have and packaged it in a slightly more consumer-friendly portable way.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,606 of 11,286
Quote:
[size=medium]The only problem I see with a poll is that very few of us have heard multiple basshead headphones.  So it would end up just being a popularity contest and not a true ranking.[/size]

[size=medium]One thing that has been rolling around in my head, and I'm sure it has been done before, would be a meet and greet in various areas of the country where everyone brings their favorite cans, and allows each other to listen to them.[/size]

dt880smile.png

you can kind of fix that by making some kind of honor system type deal and ask that you have to have at least heard minimum 3 of the headphones up there to cast a vote, probably wont work lol but worth a shot

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,607 of 11,286
Quote:

I wish I didn't.  Otherwise, I would have kept them.  On an unrelated note, how good are the Denon HP700s?  I have seen some discussion on those that sound as favorable as the Q40 comparing them to a baby D7000, is that the case?

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #2,608 of 11,286
I just got my E11 today and just got around to hooking my pro700mkII's to it...............still trying to pick my mouth up off the ground. This little thing is powerful! Much better than my E6

via my ParanoidedAndroided GS3

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,609 of 11,286
Quote:
I like your idea of the thread.  Perhaps we could start with nominations and look for support of those nominations?  I would also like to separate top basshead cans between brighter (Ultrasones), darker (Aiaia TMA-1, ATH-PRO700MK2, Pioneers) and those that are more neutral (M-Audio Q40).  Also, I am keeping an eye out for the Utrasone Signature DJ which, IMO, has the potential to be king of the Summit-fi basshead cans.

Yeah, the basshead list is really quite extensive, I would suppose. It'll be nice to categorize the cans into different categories.

Quote:

dt880smile.png

True. We could form a work around by having people list the cans they have listened extensively and owned, and make a ranking based on that list.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #2,610 of 11,286
Quote:
... On an unrelated note, how good are the Denon HP700s?  I have seen some discussion on those that sound as favorable as the Q40 comparing them to a baby D7000, is that the case?

I've only listened to the HP700 for a brief time, a buddy has them so I took over my Clip+ / E11 to check out the "Head-Fi - Open Your Ears" tracks.
With Track 11 "Heartbeat" then HP700's reproduced the Heartbeat sound all the way through but didn't seem to get any lower in frequency. The same track played on my HFI-780's gives you the feeling of the Heartbeat but not as detailed.

On the HP700 you hear the Lub-Dub all the way through, on the HFI-780's you hear and feel the Lub-Dub but it turns into a Luuu-Duuu by the 3'rd sample.
These are just my findings you'd have to listen for yourself to confirm, personally I wouldn't rate the HP700's as a Bass Head can... 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back