The Basshead Club
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,567 of 11,286
Quote:
You know, ever since our conversations about bass head headphones, I have been back and forth between the PRO700MKII and the HFI580 without making a decision. Well I have made my decision, I SHALL GET BOTH!

Just be careful not to switch headphones and EQ settings- you don't want to use the boosted high end setting you may want for the PRO700MK2 when listening to the HFI580- OUCH! :)

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2,568 of 11,286
Hey I got a question about burn-in. I personally believe in burning-in headphones, I honestly think the sound changes. I have always wondered if I was doing it right though, I have been using the Jlabs burn-in player on their website http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php. JLab says in the description that the file contains (White noise, pink noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period.) What are your feelings on this, when I eventually get the PRO700MKII and HFI580, I don't want to ruin them during the burn-in process.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,570 of 11,286
Quote:
Hey I got a question about burn-in. I personally believe in burning-in headphones, I honestly think the sound changes. I have always wondered if I was doing it right though, I have been using the Jlabs burn-in player on their website http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php. JLab says in the description that the file contains (White noise, pink noise, radio white noise, 20-20000 Hz frequency sweeps, 10-30000 Hz frequency sweeps, 20-200 Hz frequency sweeps, as well as a minute of silence in between each for a rest period.) What are your feelings on this, when I eventually get the PRO700MKII and HFI580, I don't want to ruin them during the burn-in process.

In my experience, the changes are subtle.  If I try on headphones and can't stand the sound, burn-in doesn't completely change their character.  I did see some change in the bass of my Amperior which did improve with burn-in.  Also, with my D600 highs seem smoother now.  One of the big debates with burn-in is the question:  Are the headphones changing or are our ears adjusting to sound we are hearing (or a combination of the two)?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2,571 of 11,286
  1. gugman
  2. badge_junior.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 20 Posts. Joined 11/2011

hi ppl :) i have a question - i own now panasonic rp-htf600s that is connected to my creative x-fi titanium hd and i am more or less happy :) so is there any sense to buy Fostex T50RP (99$) or ultrasone hfi 580 (120$) or something else in that price range? mainly i am listening to electronic music plus some movies and some gaming, please note that before panasonic i owned shure srh840 but i have sold it due there was no bass "at all" except that those headphones were amazing. any kind of advise would be very much helpful for me indeed, my max budget would be 150 us $  thanx a lot !!! :)

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

1. thecansmancan
  2. badge_headfier.v1305918899.png
  4. offline
  1. 63 Posts. Joined 4/2012

Quote:
hi ppl :) i have a question - i own now panasonic rp-htf600s that is connected to my creative x-fi titanium hd and i am more or less happy :) so is there any sense to buy Fostex T50RP (99$) or ultrasone hfi 580 (120$) or something else in that price range? mainly i am listening to electronic music plus some movies and some gaming, please note that before panasonic i owned shure srh840 but i have sold it due there was no bass "at all" except that those headphones were amazing. any kind of advise would be very much helpful for me indeed, my max budget would be 150 us $  thanx a lot !!! :)

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

first off i'm gonna have to bust you chops because the shures absolutely have bass. it's just a relatively balance can. bass isn't the whole sound, just a part. In fact i believe it suppost to take a back seat to the rest of the sound and play a supporting role, helping to carry the rest of the sound.

now moving on if its bass you so crave and you love electronic take a look at the sony xb700 or 500.Heavy heavy bass. deep impactful. Fantastic for rap and electronic. I wouldn't advise thier use up to other genres, though if feel you could do that and get away with it sounding at least half decent.

1. gugman
  4. online

Quote:
first off i'm gonna have to bust you chops because the shures absolutely have bass. it's just a relatively balance can. bass isn't the whole sound, just a part. In fact i believe it suppost to take a back seat to the rest of the sound and play a supporting role, helping to carry the rest of the sound.

now moving on if its bass you so crave and you love electronic take a look at the sony xb700 or 500.Heavy heavy bass. deep impactful. Fantastic for rap and electronic. I wouldn't advise thier use up to other genres, though if feel you could do that and get away with it sounding at least half decent.

thanx a million for the advice !!! think i will follow your advise and order xb700 right away from amazon , just to be sure, would it be better choice for me over ultrasone hfi 580?
p.s. although shure srh840 do sound amazing, there is no bass, no bass at all :))) at least for bass oriented genres of music  

1. bixby
  2. badge_1000.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 1,095 Posts. Joined 11/2004

thanx a million for the advice !!! think i will follow your advise and order xb700 right away from amazon , just to be sure, would it be better choice for me over ultrasone hfi 580?
p.s. although shure srh840 do sound amazing, there is no bass, no bass at all :))) at least for bass oriented genres of music  

dude you are a bass head!  You are correct in that the 840s roll off naturally in the bass and are not exaggerated in the lower bass area like many cans.

I am not sure if you have checked here yet, but this is a good thread.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

1. gugman
  4. online

dude you are a bass head!  You are correct in that the 840s roll off naturally in the bass and are not exaggerated in the lower bass area like many cans.

I am not sure if you have checked here yet, but this is a good thread.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

oh i am a bass addicted indeed 
biggrin.gif
 and thanx a lot for that link ! will check out all the reviews regarding those headphones 

HELP ME 
regular_smile .gif
 please ? !  
beyersmile.png

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,572 of 11,286
Quote:
In my experience, the changes are subtle.  If I try on headphones and can't stand the sound, burn-in doesn't completely change their character.  I did see some change in the bass of my Amperior which did improve with burn-in.  Also, with my D600 highs seem smoother now.  One of the big debates with burn-in is the question:  Are the headphones changing or are our ears adjusting to sound we are hearing (or a combination of the two)?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

Very interesting article, I do wish there was proof of whether or not burn-in works.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,573 of 11,286
Hi All,

There is a nice list of Bass head headphones in the beginning of the thread. However, there is a noway i can test all of them. I currently own a LP2 and I feel that i get a pain around my right ear while wearing them. However the sound quality is amazing and has the perfect SQ for my needs. Can somebody please suggest me some more comfortable ear phones that have same/better SQ than Crossfade Lp2.

I shall really appreciate your help here.

Thanks
AJ

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,574 of 11,286
Quote:
Hi All,

There is a nice list of Bass head headphones in the beginning of the thread. However, there is a noway i can test all of them. I currently own a LP2 and I feel that i get a pain around my right ear while wearing them. However the sound quality is amazing and has the perfect SQ for my needs. Can somebody please suggest me some more comfortable ear phones that have same/better SQ than Crossfade Lp2.

I shall really appreciate your help here.

Thanks
AJ

I can't think of any "out-of-box" that would be it but swapping pads on ATH-PRO700MK2 to some Beyerdynamic gel pads and you should have slightly similar but better sound than your LP2 with at least equal amount of bass but better mids. The headphone + the pads should be around the same as LP2. It'll require slight work to get the pads attached though, there's a thread in the fullsize section.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2,575 of 11,286
I just reviewed the list of basshead headphones and noticed the PSB M4U2 was not included.  I have compared several on this list to them and feel the M4U2 offers superior bass to many.  Could you please add them?

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2,579 of 11,286
I can't wait for the cheaper non-NC version by PSB to come out, I checked the Innerfidelity's measurement a little closer as I'm starting to learn how to interpret also the 30 and 300Hz squarewaves and I'm really liking what I'm seeing, also did you notice how LOW the THD noise is, especially for the bass? That is mighty impressive, most headphones go above 1% mark in the bass area, PSB stays closer to the 0.1% mark and very even there throughout the whole range. The 30Hz squarewave indicates a quite good amount punch/impact/tightness in the bass. It also seems to measure around 7~8dB bass which is nearly the same as Q40 which is that amount I'm looking for, 300Hz squarewave indicates slightly rolled-off topend but with a slight spike but nothing too bad, well it looks very similar to Q40 in that regard.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PSBM4U2passive.pdf

For me the next headphone upgrade is most likely either gonna be M100 or PSB M4U.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #2,580 of 11,286
Quote:
I can't wait for the cheaper non-NC version by PSB to come out, I checked the Innerfidelity's measurement a little closer as I'm starting to learn how to interpret also the 30 and 300Hz squarewaves and I'm really liking what I'm seeing, also did you notice how LOW the THD noise is, especially for the bass? That is mighty impressive, most headphones go above 1% mark in the bass area, PSB stays closer to the 0.1% mark and very even there throughout the whole range. The 30Hz squarewave indicates a quite good amount punch/impact/tightness in the bass. It also seems to measure around 7~8dB bass which is nearly the same as Q40 which is that amount I'm looking for, 300Hz squarewave indicates slightly rolled-off topend but with a slight spike but nothing too bad, well it looks very similar to Q40 in that regard.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PSBM4U2passive.pdf

For me the next headphone upgrade is most likely either gonna be M100 or PSB M4U.

that's some seriously good measurements!

looks interesting might look into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back