The Basshead Club
Aug 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #2,551 of 11,286
Completely impressed with B&H Photo Video.....On Friday I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic gel ear cushions from them, they are located in NY and im in CA.....the order shipped out yesterday via USPS First class and guess what I have in my hands right now? Absolutely floored! And to think some seller on ebay told me it would take 10 business days to get a usb otg cable to me and we're both in CA....and that didnt even include the 3 days it took him to process my order.

These gel pads feel much better than I imagined they would based on the pics i've seen online, the covering is much softer and pliable than it looked, can't wait to get home and get these bad boys on my Pro700MKII's!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #2,552 of 11,286
Quote:
Completely impressed with B&H Photo Video.....On Friday I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic gel ear cushions from them, they are located in NY and im in CA.....the order shipped out yesterday via USPS First class and guess what I have in my hands right now? Absolutely floored! And to think some seller on ebay told me it would take 10 business days to get a usb otg cable to me and we're both in CA....and that didnt even include the 3 days it took him to process my order.
These gel pads feel much better than I imagined they would based on the pics i've seen online, the covering is much softer and pliable than it looked, can't wait to get home and get these bad boys on my Pro700MKII's!

Can't wait to hear your opinion about them.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2,555 of 11,286
Quote:
I would suggest starting off with the stock pads with doing the simple mod as I did. I've seen one person reporting going FROM the beyer pads back to stock and modded as my suggestion as it sounded a lot better to him, with the beyerpads the mids become more distant so it's a bit of a V-shape sound possibly (I haven't heard it so can't confirm) but this person enjoyed the mids a lot better with the stock pads.

Thanks so much for all that advice.  I read and will re-read every word... I only quoted the part I am responding too.. Based on other threads I had pretty much convinced myself that I would like the sound best with the velour Beyer pads.  I am also not much of a DIY / tinker kind of person, so it seems more straight-forward to simply replace the pads with a commercially available and compatible product and be done with it.

I know you can't really answer since you've only heard them with/without your mod, so this is really a question to other Q40 owners, but you mentioned a 9kHz spike... and that is right in the sibilance zone, so I assume the Beyer pads would tame that as well?

Also, this talk by I<3SQ regarding gel pads from B&H also has me thinking.  I looked on the site, and there is actually three choices for DT 770 pads:

Here is my interpretation of them based on what I've read on reviews:

Soft Pads - Probably not much different than what comes with the Q40.

Velour Pads - Best comfort, and improved soundstage due to moving away from your ears, and hopefully taming any possible sibilance.

Gel Pads       - Best isolation, good comfort, but may be unpleasant if you sweat at all.  I live in San Antonio, TX, so sweat is a possible concern.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #2,556 of 11,286
Quote:
Can't wait to hear your opinion about them.

Super comfortable, loving them! As far as comfort these are lovely...but they don't fit very tightly so i'm strongly considering doing the Sound correction mod. It looks pretty straight forward so no real concern except for the tape part...very hesitant to do that cause I think it'll make the cans look "ethnically engineered" but the pads fit so loosely that it's pretty much mandatory unless you want to be concerned about the pads falling off everytime you pick these up. That's getting old already and I've just got them on a few hours ago. As for how they effected the sound, i'm not the one to ask about that....I like good sounding music, don't get me wrong, but I don't know what neutral sound and all that jazz are. As long as the output puts a smile on my face, i'm good, and I certainly have a smile.....:)
Quote:

Also, this talk by I<3SQ regarding gel pads from B&H also has me thinking. 

I use my cans for listening on my PC so heat is a non-issue for me. These gel cushions are super comfortable, although fitment isn't the greatest. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,559 of 11,286
Anybody listen to rap here? I'm mostly into EDM, but I just got back into some good stuff like Hopsin and Eminem (used to love Em). 

Any recommendations (gotta be like Hopsin)?
Yep, I do. U want music recs or can recs?

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,561 of 11,286
Quote:
Anybody listen to rap here? I'm mostly into EDM, but I just got back into some good stuff like Hopsin and Eminem (used to love Em). 

Any recommendations (gotta be like Hopsin)?

You can youtube Jhaaron L'shae's stuff.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,562 of 11,286
You know, ever since our conversations about bass head headphones, I have been back and forth between the PRO700MKII and the HFI580 without making a decision. Well I have made my decision, I SHALL GET BOTH!

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #2,563 of 11,286
I think you're embracing the Head-Fi motto. Congrats on picking which pair to get. Now if only you could use them both at the same time.
Quote:
You know, ever since our conversations about bass head headphones, I have been back and forth between the PRO700MKII and the HFI580 without making a decision. Well I have made my decision, I SHALL GET BOTH!

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #2,565 of 11,286
Quote:
Yep, I do. U want music recs or can recs?

Music please. Already got one from Trae. 

I like Logic too if that helps.
Based on the artists you named, I don't think you'd like my suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back