The Basshead Club
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,266 of 11,286
Quote:
Really? I was actually just about to order the PRO900. Guess I'll have to search again.

ATH-PRO700MKII. End of story. I have yet to hear a headphone that has more bass than these. One review stated that they have much more bass than the Pro900's, and that's at stock. When you put on better earpads (DT250/M50), or do my little mod in my sig, these headphones really shine. The pic below is a short comparison between the two.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,267 of 11,286
Interesting, the PRO700MKII is much cheaper too
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,269 of 11,286
The treble recessions isn't that bad when comparing it to my M50s, which is generally known as a bright headphone (not nearly as bright as my hfi-780s). Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the overwhelming bass and thick midrange makes you think that the treble is recessed, but the recession isn't that much until you really listen to it. This so-called darkness can be easily remedied by simply upping the treble in the eq. When you eq it up a little, they sound very natural to my ears, not to mention that my mod unveils them somewhat (may be a placebo, but I definitely hear more separation than un-modded). Less treble is better for your ears anyways. It's the main reason why I'm not going to get the PRO900s too. After experiencing the Ultrasone sound signature by using the HFI-780, I feel that the treble on the headphones is artificially high, and listening to them for prolonged periods of time isn't possible (the horrible comfort is another reason too). If the PRO900s sound anywhere near the 780s in the treble department, then they are off my list of headphones I'm going to buy in the future.

Just for giggles, I went into the Magnolia section in Best Buy, and I listened to their best system there. The only thing my headphones can't compete with them in is in the soundstage, but that's a given. Heck, my headphones have more bass than their setup too.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,272 of 11,286
Thats my face now cause since yesterday the left side of my Atrio's started cutting out... I am so gutted now... They are out of warranty as well by about 6 months. Anybody has any idea if there is somebody who could recable them for me in UK? Or any firm that reshells dynamic IEMs? I can't live without my Atrios!

Quote:
>my face when I have no idea what to choose and I have to buy it soon.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2,273 of 11,286
Quote:
The treble recessions isn't that bad when comparing it to my M50s, which is generally known as a bright headphone (not nearly as bright as my hfi-780s). Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the overwhelming bass and thick midrange makes you think that the treble is recessed, but the recession isn't that much until you really listen to it. This so-called darkness can be easily remedied by simply upping the treble in the eq. When you eq it up a little, they sound very natural to my ears, not to mention that my mod unveils them somewhat (may be a placebo, but I definitely hear more separation than un-modded). Less treble is better for your ears anyways. It's the main reason why I'm not going to get the PRO900s too. After experiencing the Ultrasone sound signature by using the HFI-780, I feel that the treble on the headphones is artificially high, and listening to them for prolonged periods of time isn't possible (the horrible comfort is another reason too). If the PRO900s sound anywhere near the 780s in the treble department, then they are off my list of headphones I'm going to buy in the future.

The Ultrasones do have brighter highs, but the PRO900 is pretty tolerable. The PRO700MK2s are definitely darker sounding headphones.

Still, I like the general feel of EDM through the PRO900s. The bass extension, clarity and impact are all present, and the treble detail is definitely better on the PRO900 than on the PRO700MK2. It makes for a very good listening experience for EDM.

I have the HDJ2000, and had listened to the D2000 once.
The build quality of the HDJ2000 is better, more easy to carry but you gonna need an amp for it to make it shine.

The HDJ2000s don't seem to be very worth its price tag, especially since it's very similar in sound to the Denon DJ HP700. Maybe it's the HP700 that is priced way too low? :D If I get either, they'll be paired primarily with an E11 or a ZO2.3.

In any case, I'm looking for a new can, and those 2 are at the top of my to-consider list. I'll have to audition them to get a better feel. :)

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,274 of 11,286
Quote:

The Ultrasones do have brighter highs, but the PRO900 is pretty tolerable. The PRO700MK2s are definitely darker sounding headphones.

Still, I like the general feel of EDM through the PRO900s. The bass extension, clarity and impact are all present, and the treble detail is definitely better on the PRO900 than on the PRO700MK2. It makes for a very good listening experience for EDM.

The HDJ2000s don't seem to be very worth its price tag, especially since it's very similar in sound to the Denon DJ HP700. Maybe it's the HP700 that is priced way too low? :D If I get either, they'll be paired primarily with an E11 or a ZO2.3.

In any case, I'm looking for a new can, and those 2 are at the top of my to-consider list. I'll have to audition them to get a better feel. :)

I can concur with this being a listener to EDM on the Pro900s. About 50 hours into them now and the highs (the whole range really) have changed a lot. These are very technical headphones and need a burn in. I think the highs are perfect. They were harsh at first, and I actually was considering returning them. But now, they are smooth and detailed and highlight the song really well. They are generally a little too loud for my taste, but EQing them down about 1.5db and it's beautiful. Other bass cans may have more impact or sub bass, but the depth and extension of the Pro 900s simply cannot be fathomed unless you hear it yourself. The E17 seems to be a perfect match for these phones, too. The SQ got that little something something and it just feels like all the frequency ranges fit perfectly together.

I'm wanting to get a review up probably Sunday. I was asked by a few people to write one up on Overclock.net and I saw that there are only 2 "official" review on head-fi, so I'll do it. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back