The Basshead Club
May 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,952 of 11,286
I guess i should add a little to above post.  I really enjoyed the m50's.  Ofcoarse im a basshead or i wouldnt be in this thread, but im greedy and want more than just bass.  From what im gathering is

xb700                                                      ws55
more bass quantity                                    more quality
decent mids and treble                               better mids and treble
more comfortable                                       comfort isnt strong point

am i missing anything?  Im leaning towards ws 55, only cause i liked the m50's and am not familiar with sony sound (but to make it more difficult, there is a pair of xb700 for sale in traders section shipped for 80, which is basically same price as ws55.

Also have digizoid on way, and source is cowon j3

May 11, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,954 of 11,286
Quote:
You have a point there. I forgot about audio quality for a change...just MOAR BASS lol. I guess I'll save up my pennies and purchase an amp to make my headphones sound a bit better. The pro's still lack the control I want. A more powerful amp should hopefully fix that though. 

How's the E17 paired with your PRO700MK2s? I've been thinking of getting either the E7 or the E17 for sometime now, but never really took the plunge. Have you tried an E11 before? If so, how does the E17 compare to it? Thanks in advance. :)

May 11, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #1,955 of 11,286
Quote:
I guess i should add a little to above post.  I really enjoyed the m50's.  Ofcoarse im a basshead or i wouldnt be in this thread, but im greedy and want more than just bass.  From what im gathering is

xb700                                                      ws55
more bass quantity                                    more quality
decent mids and treble                               better mids and treble
more comfortable                                       comfort isnt strong point

am i missing anything?  Im leaning towards ws 55, only cause i liked the m50's and am not familiar with sony sound (but to make it more difficult, there is a pair of xb700 for sale in traders section shipped for 80, which is basically same price as ws55.

My WS55 is only about a day old with about 12 hours of burn-in recorded, and so far, it has shows to be a pretty good contender for a decent basshead can. You're not going to get gobs of bass on this one; rather, the bass is well controlled and tight. It does deliver the punch when the track calls for it, though.

I don't have the XB700, so I can't really compare. However, the WS55 delivers decent mids. As for the comfort factor, I'm pretty alright with it. If you use something like a PRO700MK2 as your favorite pair of cans, the WS55 is downright comfortable. Of course, nothing beats the pillows on the XB series. :wink:

Btw, I like the combo of ZO2.3 and WS55. It does help a lot in delivering the quantity that the AT cans lack.

May 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,956 of 11,286
Quote:

How's the E17 paired with your PRO700MK2s? I've been thinking of getting either the E7 or the E17 for sometime now, but never really took the plunge. Have you tried an E11 before? If so, how does the E17 compare to it? Thanks in advance. :)

In my opinion, the combo sounds great. When I upgraded my E7 to the E17 I was very surprised by how it sounded. Now, the quality between the two is the same (probably since I only listen to 192-320kbps mp3s. I don't have any quality music to use the dac to its fullest potential), but quantity wise, the E17 is better than the E7 hands down. The bass on the E17s make its younger brother sound anemic. It is much fuller sounding, louder, and has more control than the E7. Now that I have it, I can't recommend it enough. The extra $50 or so for the E17 is very well worth it, and it's pretty much pointless to get the E7 now outside of the 80hrs. battery capacity. 

I don't have an E11, but I'll be the oddball and say that the E17 probably sounds better than the E11. The E11 is more powerful than the E17, but the E17 has more "finesse". The functionality, versatility, and compatibility of the E17 is what made me buy it, and you can tweak the sound much more than the E11 will ever do. 

Probably the next amp I'll get will be the JDS Labs C421. That baby paired with the E17 will be an awesome combination.

Something cool I just thought of: E7 + E10 = E17 and then some...

May 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,957 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm not sure if you were asking specifically about how a pair of PRO700MK2 pairs with E11 vs E17 or just how the E11 compares to E17 in general with the same pair of cans...

I have both E11 and E17 so I'll take a stab at answering:

They're both nice amps with pleasing sound, dark, warm, fairly smooth. My E11 is burned in/broken in much more than my fairly new E17, and it sounds much smoother, although the E17 is starting to smooth out finally (yay!). The E17 didn't sound as good as it does now, or as coherent when it first arrived. The E11 sounds more coherent than the E17, but I'm guessing that is because of burn in... It is three months old or so. I received the E17 less than 3 weeks ago I believe, and don't use it constantly.

One difference I've noticed about the two is when driving my orthos portably (yamaha HP-3, or SFI (Sawafuji SZ-2T) tweeters (in a pair of Pioneer SE-L40)) the current level seems more ample in the E11 than in the E17. With the gain on the E17 at 12, the E17 will drive the orthos, but not as effortlessly as the E11. When the battery starts running down below half on the E17, sometimes there is clipping with those two ortho drivers. But then thats a demanding load to put on the E17 and thats why I mention it. It's a torture test for the device. The E11 fairs better, and doesn't clip until the battery is nearly drained (but no OLED to tell you when that will happen, just a dead battery all of a sudden).

With normal dynamic drivers, like ATH-ESW9A, ATH-RE70, AKG K450, Porta Pro, both amps compare very well. As I mentioned I think the E11 sounds very effortless at this point, but I think the E17 will "catch up" with a little more break in time, (someone else who has had an E17 for more than 2 or 3 weeks please step in here with a more qualified opinion please), but I don't mind any perceived trade off with the E11 because of what the DAC brings to the mix. Usually playing FLAC from my computer or iRiver H140 both via SPDIF/TOSLINK to E17 to cans...

May 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,958 of 11,286
I've had my E17 for little over a month, but I use this baby hours a day everyday and leave it on. I will say that you're right about it smoothing out over time. The amp sounded a bit harsh when I first got it, but after a week or so, it sounded smoother. Maybe it was my ears adapting to the sound, I don't know. 

My E17 doesn't have the clipping issue that you're having, but you are driving orthos, so that may be the case there. The E11 is a more powerful amp than the E17 is, so it will fair better with harder to drive headphones, but you can always pair the two together with a FiiO L7.  That would be a great setup (If I may ask, can you get the L7 and see how both of them sound together?)

May 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,959 of 11,286
I got the PRO900´s on the way and with my ZO2.3 its gonna be crazy 
basshead.gif
 and also Sony EX1000 earphones...hell yeh 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Havent heard these but there getting allot of hype and the last few pages are a few mods to get moar bass! 

May 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #1,960 of 11,286
hey guyz..
which IEM is the best from the following (bass matters 50% and other 50% goes to highs ,mids, lows, sub bass and stuff)
1.)[size=1.7em]MEElectronics M31[/size]

[size=1.7em] 2.)Audio-Technica Solid Bass In-Ear Headphone (ATH-CKS55)
3.)[size=1.7em]JVC HAFX1X
4.)soundmagic E-10
so which one is the best..???THANKS.[/size]
[/size]

May 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #1,961 of 11,286
I've tried numbers 1 - 3 - 4. Definitely number 1 - 4 from those three. The M31 has a little more mid bass, while the E10 is a better all rounder.

May 12, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,962 of 11,286
Quote:
In my opinion, the combo sounds great. When I upgraded my E7 to the E17 I was very surprised by how it sounded. Now, the quality between the two is the same (probably since I only listen to 192-320kbps mp3s. I don't have any quality music to use the dac to its fullest potential), but quantity wise, the E17 is better than the E7 hands down. The bass on the E17s make its younger brother sound anemic. It is much fuller sounding, louder, and has more control than the E7. Now that I have it, I can't recommend it enough. The extra $50 or so for the E17 is very well worth it, and it's pretty much pointless to get the E7 now outside of the 80hrs. battery capacity. 

I don't have an E11, but I'll be the oddball and say that the E17 probably sounds better than the E11. The E11 is more powerful than the E17, but the E17 has more "finesse". The functionality, versatility, and compatibility of the E17 is what made me buy it, and you can tweak the sound much more than the E11 will ever do. 

Probably the next amp I'll get will be the JDS Labs C421. That baby paired with the E17 will be an awesome combination.

Something cool I just thought of: E7 + E10 = E17 and then some...

Yeh, the fact that you can attenuate the treble levels on the E17 is what got me really interested. Although I like a somewhat V-shaped curve in my cans, I'm not a fan of sparkly highs - It's a bit grating on my ears. I'll probably do an amp test on the E17 when I have the time, but I think it's going to be my next amp purchase. It's going to be either a Headstage Arrow 4G or E17 for me. :)

May 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #1,963 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm not sure if you were asking specifically about how a pair of PRO700MK2 pairs with E11 vs E17 or just how the E11 compares to E17 in general with the same pair of cans...

I have both E11 and E17 so I'll take a stab at answering:

They're both nice amps with pleasing sound, dark, warm, fairly smooth. My E11 is burned in/broken in much more than my fairly new E17, and it sounds much smoother, although the E17 is starting to smooth out finally (yay!). The E17 didn't sound as good as it does now, or as coherent when it first arrived. The E11 sounds more coherent than the E17, but I'm guessing that is because of burn in... It is three months old or so. I received the E17 less than 3 weeks ago I believe, and don't use it constantly.

One difference I've noticed about the two is when driving my orthos portably (yamaha HP-3, or SFI (Sawafuji SZ-2T) tweeters (in a pair of Pioneer SE-L40)) the current level seems more ample in the E11 than in the E17. With the gain on the E17 at 12, the E17 will drive the orthos, but not as effortlessly as the E11. When the battery starts running down below half on the E17, sometimes there is clipping with those two ortho drivers. But then thats a demanding load to put on the E17 and thats why I mention it. It's a torture test for the device. The E11 fairs better, and doesn't clip until the battery is nearly drained (but no OLED to tell you when that will happen, just a dead battery all of a sudden).

With normal dynamic drivers, like ATH-ESW9A, ATH-RE70, AKG K450, Porta Pro, both amps compare very well. As I mentioned I think the E11 sounds very effortless at this point, but I think the E17 will "catch up" with a little more break in time, (someone else who has had an E17 for more than 2 or 3 weeks please step in here with a more qualified opinion please), but I don't mind any perceived trade off with the E11 because of what the DAC brings to the mix. Usually playing FLAC from my computer or iRiver H140 both via SPDIF/TOSLINK to E17 to cans...

Thanks for the input; very much appreciated.

In that sense, could I say that the E17 is a good recommendation/step-up from the E11 thanks to its USB-DAC functionality, and overall better sound? My amp stable is still rather small, and so far, my best sounding amp is an iBasso D-Zero. It does a lot of wonders in cleaning up the sound as opposed to my other amps (E11, E6, ZO2.3).

Btw, how would you compare the bass boost functionality of either amps?

May 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #1,964 of 11,286
hey guyz..

which IEM is the best from the following (bass matters 50% and other 50% goes to highs ,mids, lows, sub bass and stuff)

1.)[SIZE=1.7em]MEElectronics M31[/SIZE]

[size=1.7em]2.)Audio-Technica Solid Bass In-Ear Headphone (ATH-CKS55)

3.)[SIZE=1.7em]JVC HAFX1X

4.)soundmagic E-10

so which one is the best..???THANKS.[/SIZE]
[/size]

I love my e10. Great all around iems with plenty of bass. Easy fit too.

May 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,965 of 11,286
hay guys

i recalty tried some headphones at Jaben
here some impretions

Xb1000
no, simply not my taste, bass was excellent but the rest of the sound was too relaxed, sounded really dull, sound stage was shockly huge, scared me in some songs

ath pro 700
AMAZING, not enogh sub bass but wow very fowered, midrange was excallent and highs were pretty good, very puchy

V moda lp (the big one)
not worth the price tag
xb500s nuff said

this makes the xb700 all the more interesting as i need to hear them again to make a final destion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back