The Basshead Club
May 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #1,892 of 11,286
Quote:
I've had an absolutely terrible time today.

First my SHR750DJ arrived broken. I opened the completely sealed box to see a piece of  hinge rattling around inside the plastic bag, this makes me question Shures build quality and control. I then contacted Addicted to Audio were I made the purchase who told me they won't deal with returns I need to contact their Shure supplier for warranty replacement. So while I had them here I decided to give them a listen and the bass is terrible. there's no quantity what so ever compared to my now almost 'sold' XB500's, absolutely no buzz at all in comparasion. I'm running an LOD / rockboxed ipod Mini / E11 on EQ2 and the bass just distorts before reaching any pleasurable levels. Overall the sound is very good but nothing I would write home about... but bass? What bass..... 

Shure boast these can handle extreme power without distortion, yet they pack up shop anything over 4.5/8 on the E11.

The XB500 easily chews the E11 all the way up to 7.5/8

I
 am that fed up with this Shure sale I am about two inches from simply throwing them in the bin. I have now repurchased another pair of XB500, which obliterate these in bass amount, the shure don't even come close, there's no rumble or pressure just a subtle bass amount. Sure..they sound a little better but they do not have a right to be in this club.

I recommend for bass heads do not purchase 750DJ it does not fit the requirements for this club and the plastic build is terrible / and the comfort issues lets not even go there..... Terrible!

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the 750DJs. My Shures are holding up well, although I've only got them for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I tried listening to my bassy cans to get a feel of the bass quality & quantity and I find the 750DJs pretty alright. I tested the following cans un-amped from a Cowon Z2 with Normal (flat) EQ settings -

For bass quantity: XB500 > PRO700MK2 > HFI580 > XB1000 > SRH750DJ > M50
For bass quality: HFI 580 > XB1000 > SRH750DJ > M50 > PRO700MK2 > XB500

I've also tried amping my 750DJs, and I'm reporting no issues. On hardstyle/hard trance tracks with my ZO2.3, I can boost the cans to a dark orange contour level without any distortion.

In any case, it's unfair to compare most basshead cans to the Sony XB500 as they are true bass quantity monsters. I hope you'll give the Shures a second chance; you might just have a defective pair. :)

Good luck!

May 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #1,893 of 11,286
I have read that M-Audio Q40 has similar bass quantity to the XB500´s but the Q40´s actually have good mids and highs where the Sonys dont! 

May 8, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,894 of 11,286
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the 750DJs. My Shures are holding up well, although I've only got them for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I tried listening to my bassy cans to get a feel of the bass quality & quantity and I find the 750DJs pretty alright. I tested the following cans un-amped from a Cowon Z2 with Normal (flat) EQ settings -

For bass quantity: XB500 > PRO700MK2 > HFI580 > XB1000 > SRH750DJ > M50
For bass quality: HFI 580 > XB1000 > SRH750DJ > M50 > PRO700MK2 > XB500

I've also tried amping my 750DJs, and I'm reporting no issues. On hardstyle/hard trance tracks with my ZO2.3, I can boost the cans to a dark orange contour level without any distortion.

In any case, it's unfair to compare most basshead cans to the Sony XB500 as they are true bass quantity monsters. I hope you'll give the Shures a second chance; you might just have a defective pair. :)

Good luck!

Cheers my friend.

I gave them another try, I think they're either defective or my basshead levels should be classed at extreme bass sports. They still distort very early on through the volume knob. It almost sounds like the polarity is reversed. You know when you crank up some volume on a pair of speakers and the bass starts semi back firing due to the + - wires connected wrong? a better exmaple would be it cancels itself out. It does that, but I've checked the wiring and they appear fine. Anything under extreme bass sports level they don't sound terrible as mentioned.

I really should not compare them to the XB500, comparing to the MDR-V700 is probably more suited.

Anyway~z thanks very much for the info. I'll stick to the XB500 for a while and sell these off, I've managed to find a longer screw that attaches that piece back on threading onto what plastic is left. It feels secure enough to make a sale. Makes me enjoy the XB500 more, I've become attached to it and the rockbox settings now. We have much fun together. > Go boom boom!

Thanks again.

May 8, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #1,895 of 11,286
Quote:
I have read that M-Audio Q40 has similar bass quantity to the XB500´s but the Q40´s actually have good mids and highs where the Sonys dont! 

RPGWiZaRD has mentioned that the Q40 is not as bassy as the XB500 unamped, but responds well to amping via bass boost amps.

You are right though, the XB500s have terrible mids. Their highs aren't that spectacular either. It just does one thing well, and I love them for it. 
wink.gif

May 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,896 of 11,286
Quote:
Cheers my friend.

I gave them another try, I think they're either defective or my basshead levels should be classed at extreme bass sports. They still distort very early on through the volume knob. It almost sounds like the polarity is reversed. You know when you crank up some volume on a pair of speakers and the bass starts semi back firing due to the + - wires connected wrong? a better exmaple would be it cancels itself out. It does that, but I've checked the wiring and they appear fine. Anything under extreme bass sports level they don't sound terrible as mentioned.

I really should not compare them to the XB500, comparing to the MDR-V700 is probably more suited.

Anyway~z thanks very much for the info. I'll stick to the XB500 for a while and sell these off, I've managed to find a longer screw that attaches that piece back on threading onto what plastic is left. It feels secure enough to make a sale. Makes me enjoy the XB500 more, I've become attached to it and the rockbox settings now. We have much fun together. > Go boom boom!

Thanks again.

You're welcome, bro. Hope you can fetch a good price for the Shures. :)

Anyway, if they aren't defective, you might be an extreme basshead. I know how you feel.. XB500 + Amp/EQ = bass heaven. 
L3000.gif

May 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,897 of 11,286
Quote:

I dont know where your getting your prices from haha, but there around the $100 mark LOL (on ebay theres factory seconds that have the same SQ just tiny 1mm scratches etc and no box that are $50 which is crazy!!!!) 

Can you link me to the discussion where they are better than MG7s? 50 bucks does sound like an awesome price if they are indeed better. :)

Thanks! 

May 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,898 of 11,286
Quote:

Can you link me to the discussion where they are better than MG7s? 50 bucks does sound like an awesome price if they are indeed better. :)

Thanks! 

Well you can use the search finction too you know haha :p

post #615 and bass tightens up with burn in and mids comre more forward...this guy was comparing straight from the box! Although if you read the last few pages on the thread recent ones for that $50 ebay deal may be fake!

and In a PM bu Dsnuts...
"didn't mention it on the thread but man the CKS77 puts  the MG7 in its place. There is no immersion what so ever with the MG7..It is like listening to 2 book shelf speaker.s The only thing those have going for it is sub bass and a decent balanced sound. But when it comes to the depth. There is none. Lol!.. I will probably just end up selling them and get a Z02"

So yeh PM dsnuts for a more detailed comparrison...

Id play it on th esafe side and order from Assessory JAck....$100 is a great deal for these! Also check the FS thread i think TotallyDubbed has his FS!

May 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,899 of 11,286
Quote:
"The only thing those have going for it is sub bass and a decent balanced sound" That is a good compliment.

post #615 and bass tightens up with burn in and mids comre more forward...this guy was comparing straight from the box! Although if you read the last few pages on the thread recent ones for that $50 ebay deal may be fake!

and In a PM bu Dsnuts...
"didn't mention it on the thread but man the CKS77 puts  the MG7 in its place. There is no immersion what so ever with the MG7..It is like listening to 2 book shelf speaker.s The only thing those have going for it is sub bass and a decent balanced sound. But when it comes to the depth. There is none. Lol!.. I will probably just end up selling them and get a Z02"

So yeh PM dsnuts for a more detailed comparrison...

Id play it on th esafe side and order from Assessory JAck....$100 is a great deal for these! Also check the FS thread i think TotallyDubbed has his FS!

May 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #1,900 of 11,286
The only thing Totallydubbed and i hope this dont come accross rude or anything but I just dont feel your getting a good seal, as you mentioned them falling out your ears etc, and you use the comply tips so it would be different vs stock tip (i dont find the bass to be too much at all) but never the less your reviews are always a good read, just the dish type may not suit you...or i may be wrong LOL 

May 8, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #1,901 of 11,286
Quote:
I've had an absolutely terrible time today.

First my SHR750DJ arrived broken. I opened the completely sealed box to see a piece of  hinge rattling around inside the plastic bag, this makes me question Shures build quality and control. I then contacted Addicted to Audio were I made the purchase who told me they won't deal with returns I need to contact their Shure supplier for warranty replacement. So while I had them here I decided to give them a listen and the bass is terrible. there's no quantity what so ever compared to my now almost 'sold' XB500's, absolutely no buzz at all in comparasion. I'm running an LOD / rockboxed ipod Mini / E11 on EQ2 and the bass just distorts before reaching any pleasurable levels. Overall the sound is very good but nothing I would write home about... but bass? What bass..... 

Shure boast these can handle extreme power without distortion, yet they pack up shop anything over 4.5/8 on the E11.

The XB500 easily chews the E11 all the way up to 7.5/8

I
 am that fed up with this Shure sale I am about two inches from simply throwing them in the bin. I have now repurchased another pair of XB500, which obliterate these in bass amount, the shure don't even come close, there's no rumble or pressure just a subtle bass amount. Sure..they sound a little better but they do not have a right to be in this club.

I recommend for bass heads do not purchase 750DJ it does not fit the requirements for this club and the plastic build is terrible / and the comfort issues lets not even go there..... Terrible!

...headed to my Amazon account now to remove these from my wish list!

May 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,902 of 11,286
Quote:

RPGWiZaRD has mentioned that the Q40 is not as bassy as the XB500 unamped, but responds well to amping via bass boost amps.

You are right though, the XB500s have terrible mids. Their highs aren't that spectacular either. It just does one thing well, and I love them for it. 
wink.gif

Actually mids on the 500's are actually BETTER than on the XB700... although the 700 has better highs
Quote:

You're welcome, bro. Hope you can fetch a good price for the Shures. :)

Anyway, if they aren't defective, you might be an extreme basshead. I know how you feel.. XB500 + Amp/EQ = bass heaven. 
L3000.gif

xD I fall into that category ^^ gonna EQ my XB700's tonight to get EXTRA deep bass... although let's hope nothing distorts >.>

May 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #1,903 of 11,286
According to the guy at innerfidelity, the xb700 has harsh highs and significantly withdrawn in the mid range.

May 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,904 of 11,286

Never thought the highs were harsh, but recessed mids is spot on...I vastly prefer the 700 to the 500. They rumble a lot more though I guess it's much more about preference.

May 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,905 of 11,286
I was listening to a song that I heard many many times well when I was listening to that song with the Atrios with an amp the other day I was suddenly happilly shocked and bewildered when I heard not the bass which I always heard but some sound that was well below the bass  as if this sound was a basement a huge underground room that is actually bigger then the house (house = bass and basement= sub-bass). This sound was the SUB-BASS from the Atrios and I was shocked cause the sound stage from the SUB-BASS was wider then the bass! I was actually talking to myself are these the same 5 year old earphones? They were and I replayed that song many times just to experienced that sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back