The Basshead Club
Feb 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,276 of 11,286
can anyone recommend a good bass head set of cans that don't have a huge protruding headband?  I have a set of Cortex 2500 (prodipe by another name) that I love but they look incredibly dumb and the coiled cable is kind of heavy for portable use.  I like the earcup size but the head band is annoying.  Seems to be part of the design for folding headphones.  I don't need them to fold though.  Not a huge budget for these since they are just beaters for the laptop bag.  $50 doesnt sound bad.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,277 of 11,286
Deep dystopian BASS

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,278 of 11,286

You ever take them out of the house? I suggest a custom made earphone such as Future Sonics or Earsonics. Both have a lot of bass and sub-bass.

Quote:
can anyone recommend a good bass head set of cans that don't have a huge protruding headband?  I have a set of Cortex 2500 (prodipe by another name) that I love but they look incredibly dumb and the coiled cable is kind of heavy for portable use.  I like the earcup size but the head band is annoying.  Seems to be part of the design for folding headphones.  I don't need them to fold though.  Not a huge budget for these since they are just beaters for the laptop bag.  $50 doesnt sound bad.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,279 of 11,286

Quote:
You ever take them out of the house? I suggest a custom made earphone such as Future Sonics or Earsonics. Both have a lot of bass and sub-bass.

I do...and I am fine with my IEM selection.  My ear canals are sensitive though and sometimes they get aggravated so I have to switch to full sized cans. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #1,281 of 11,286
Hey fellow bassheads! I lean more towards headphones with more mid bass! Does the v moda lp2 fare well in the mid bass portion? Oh and does anyone knows how different is the portapro with the lp2? Thanks alot :D

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,282 of 11,286
I like them very much.  They are nearly identical to the Prodipe 800 but they have more of the small vents opened up so they have a bit more bass.  If you search here on head-fi you will find a few threads on the Prodipes.  Joker has them in his big review thread too.  I picked up the cortex for $25 and have been very pleased.  They can be found for $30 and I would still recommend them at that price.  I did swap the earpads for the ones off of my panny.  the stock pads are round but I liekd the more oblong shaped pads because they didnt catch the edge of my ear.  I also stuffed the earpad to put a little more space between the driver and my ears but those are both comfort mods and didnt change the sound.

Quote:
Would you mind posting some of your impressions on the Cortexs. There seems to be very litlle info on them anywhere.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,284 of 11,286

Since those extra vents are opened up do they leak a lot of noise?

Quote:
I like them very much.  They are nearly identical to the Prodipe 800 but they have more of the small vents opened up so they have a bit more bass.  If you search here on head-fi you will find a few threads on the Prodipes.  Joker has them in his big review thread too.  I picked up the cortex for $25 and have been very pleased.  They can be found for $30 and I would still recommend them at that price.  I did swap the earpads for the ones off of my panny.  the stock pads are round but I liekd the more oblong shaped pads because they didnt catch the edge of my ear.  I also stuffed the earpad to put a little more space between the driver and my ears but those are both comfort mods and didnt change the sound.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,286 of 11,286
OMG. So I'm listening to my Atrio M5 MG7............
basshead.gif

Much more sub-bass than my Pro 900.

I'm going to have excellent sound music at the gym now
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,290 of 11,286

Correct but they aint bassier then the Universal Atrios and they are even less bassier compared to Atrios custom made earphones MG6 Pro by Future Sonics. Even the W3 has more bass then the Ultrasone PRO 900. My friend has them and after he heard the Atrios he himself got a pair of the Atrios.

Quote:
we are talking about the ulatrasone Pro 900's right?

because they are the bassier cans available - at least this is my understanding from reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back