The Basshead Club
Apr 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #10,906 of 11,286
I found recess to be a Terrible album, and my favorite monstercat artist is rogue. Btw, au5 isn't underground. Omnitica, moxix, masamune, me, etc. I classify underground as less than 10k followers on soundcloud. Even au5 has 30k followers. Ephixa has 36k.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #10,907 of 11,286
I found recess to be a Terrible album, and my favorite monstercat artist is rogue. Btw, au5 isn't underground. Omnitica, moxix, masamune, me, etc. I classify underground as less than 10k followers on soundcloud. Even au5 has 30k followers. Ephixa has 36k.

Lol, au5 is extremely underground if you are talking about how often it is someone has ever heard of au5.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #10,908 of 11,286
I liked recess, at times though it just sounded a bit hollow. Au5 is certainly underground, I had not heard of him until his remix of days to come with IYFFE won that remix competition. He might not be as underground as those other artists you mention but that does not make him mainstream. My favorite Monstercat artists are Televisor, Stephen Walking, and Haywyre.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #10,909 of 11,286
hi, the hifi world is not one big block. you can not generalize. You can get a amazing speaker for 2k. At the same time, you have wilson alexandria costing 200k. The alexandria will not sound 100 time better of course. You just have to be smart and research a lot before committing to hifi.

For example, one can find for around 2 k a Wilson audio CUB speaker. I have heard those and they are amazing, mind blowing, just incredible. They were around 7k new, but now used, its relatively cheap. Add a good sub, and your at 95% of the Alexandria for around 2.5k. Is it worth it, damn yes. Is hifi all gimmicks, yes and no. When you hear a amazing hifi speaker, the resuslt are impressive enough to be worth it, if you have the money.

About EQ, EQ is good up to a certain degree. It will never make a bright room into a silent room.

Treatment makes a incredible difference that no EQ can ever make. I would say that treating my room is about 30% of someone system. Some would even claim that you cant have a good sound without serious room treatment. And by serious, you have to have BIG bass traps.

I used in my small room 5 bags like that, the difference is huge, really huge. https://www.google.ca/search?q=safe+and+sound+treatment&client=firefox-a&hs=zSc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=naxGU_OZJOTQsQSdioGADw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=638#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=uDrAt3NDVqhcZM%253A%3BahxWLM7tL53cQM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homemusicproduction.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2012%252F05%252FDIY-Build-Acoustic-Panels-For-Your-Home-Studio-Roxul.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.homemusicproduction.com%252Fbuild-acoustic-panels-for-your-home-studio%252F%3B276%3B166

Where did you learn about how to treat a room? The room my Spec system is in will be dedicated to my music and I'd like to play with optimizing the sound.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #10,910 of 11,286
gearslutz. but you can find many article

basically, and take good note. I have dne A LOT of reasearch before doing it.

So, DIY DIY DIY for room treatment is the way to go. Its ridiculously unexpensive and effective.

1- make as thick panel as you can for the bass traps. 10 inch is a minimum, if you can make 14 or 20 inch go for it: for bass traps, best is from floor to ceiling. Bass builds up in corners, so basically every corner counts, even ceiling to wall. you have 16 corner in your room. Also, for bass traps, you dont want your room to be too dead, so for every panels you make that isnt placed to treat your reflection point, put kraft paper. it brings back the highs in the room. otherwise, you risk to have a room to dead.

2- You can buy http://www.roxul.com/products/residential/roxul+safe%27n%27sound roxul products for all your foam needs, they work, are cheap, and great and recommended by anyone

3- you have to treat the first eflection. look it up for what they are. first reflection is the dies wall and the ceiuling also. minimum thickness is 7 inch for those panels.

4- finally, the back wall should be highly treated. I have trated interely my back wall with 10 inch panels.

5- Your listening position in the room is really important: look at all the article concerning this. normally, is equal distance between you and the speakers and the speakers from themselves: will make a perfect triangle.

6- speaker placement is really important. Try to make them at least 3 feet away from the back wall and away from the side walls.

I'm in the process of finishing my room BTW, so this is all fresh information.

Its a lot of work, but is critical in any room or studio and really helps a lot.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #10,912 of 11,286
I liked recess, at times though it just sounded a bit hollow.

That's really the only glaring problem I see in Recess. All of his "deep" tracks (with the exception of Fire Away, imo) just feel lifeless and unemotional, especially compared to other artists like Burial. Same thing happens in Leaving EP. It's not really that big of an issue, considering it's only like 2 songs on the album that have this problem. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good and definitely shows that Skrillex is maturing as an artist.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #10,913 of 11,286
  gearslutz. but you can find many article

basically, and take good note. I have dne A LOT of reasearch before doing it.

So, DIY DIY DIY for room treatment is the way to go. Its ridiculously unexpensive and effective.

1- make as thick panel as you can for the bass traps. 10 inch is a minimum, if you can make 14 or 20 inch go for it: for bass traps, best is from floor to ceiling. Bass builds up in corners, so basically every corner counts, even ceiling to wall. you have 16 corner in your room. Also, for bass traps, you dont want your room to be too dead, so for every panels you make that isnt placed to treat your reflection point, put kraft paper. it brings back the highs in the room. otherwise, you risk to have a room to dead.

2- You can buy http://www.roxul.com/products/residential/roxul+safe%27n%27sound roxul products for all your foam needs, they work, are cheap, and great and recommended by anyone

3- you have to treat the first eflection. look it up for what they are. first reflection is the dies wall and the ceiuling also. minimum thickness is 7 inch for those panels.

4- finally, the back wall should be highly treated. I have trated interely my back wall with 10 inch panels.

5- Your listening position in the room is really important: look at all the article concerning this. normally, is equal distance between you and the speakers and the speakers from themselves: will make a perfect triangle.

6- speaker placement is really important. Try to make them at least 3 feet away from the back wall and away from the side walls.

I'm in the process of finishing my room BTW, so this is all fresh information.

Its a lot of work, but is critical in any room or studio and really helps a lot.

Thank you very much. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #10,914 of 11,286
Guys, what are your thoughts on the Ultrasone HFI 580/780's? Are they basshead approved?

I have owned the hfi 580 and i would say u can *just* feel the bass. Not bass monsters in any way, i would say inbetween audiophile bass and "basshead material". Little to no sub bass but quite nice mid bass for a bit of impact. They are pretty awesome for dubstep and edm and the like, they just have a great atmospheric sound to them, their sound signature is basically perfect for edm. Just not as hard hitting as some.

If however a bass boost is used they can become quite formidable in the bass region.

The hfi 780s are supposed to have less bass and more detail, so thats how that is ._.

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #10,915 of 11,286
  Guys, what are your thoughts on the Ultrasone HFI 580/780's? Are they basshead approved?

These were mine.
Not basshead.
If you amp you will run into the ceiling very early and the driver will distort.
Clamping force is unreal,
mad.gif

Highs are screaming at you. If they were screaming at you over copious amounts of bass like the Pro 900 I could get it. These just vice grip your head and shoot piercing highs into your ear.
Off a portable device with some eq maybe great? They clearly weren't gonna rock my world so it was not worth it. I always amp.

This isn't step up from Q40...it's a step down. The better of the 2 is cheaper......the odd world of headphone pricing example #1001
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #10,916 of 11,286
  That's really the only glaring problem I see in Recess. All of his "deep" tracks (with the exception of Fire Away, imo) just feel lifeless and unemotional, especially compared to other artists like Burial. Same thing happens in Leaving EP. It's not really that big of an issue, considering it's only like 2 songs on the album that have this problem. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good and definitely shows that Skrillex is maturing as an artist.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Skrillex. Actually, I can say that I'm not a fan at all. However, I have a childish, bordering to insane, infatuation with Mad Decent (how can you not? Diplo made a documentary on twerking!!). Here's the thing, I've seen Skrillex together with the Mad Decent crew on more than one occasion. What I am trying to say, I guess, is that if Skrillex is okay in Diplos and Dillons books, then I might have to reconsider my own opinions on him.

Speaking of Skrillex, seen the movie Spring Breakers? While Skrillex was part of the soundtrack, I think Britney Spears deserves the top spot of that soundtrack.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #10,918 of 11,286
  I think I'm still a basshead although (embarrassingly) I bought the Ultrasone HFI 780s way back when thinking they were basshead phones. I've come to love them but they're not basshead phones.

The only basshead headphones in the Ultrasone lineup is: HFI-580 with help of some bassboost (it responds nicely), Ultrasone PRO900 and Signature DJ. The HFI-580 and PRO900 are very bright sounding, Signature DJ lesser so, the bass is maybe slightly more powerful in the PRO900 but the Signature DJ has the best sound quality for sure. The PRO900 is a bit hit n miss for people due to the heavily accenuated V-shape response and generally is for people who listens to electronica (forget about anything acoustic based). Signature DJs are a lot more universataile.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #10,919 of 11,286
I have owned the hfi 580 and i would say u can *just* feel the bass. Not bass monsters in any way, i would say inbetween audiophile bass and "basshead material". Little to no sub bass but quite nice mid bass for a bit of impact. They are pretty awesome for dubstep and edm and the like, they just have a great atmospheric sound to them, their sound signature is basically perfect for edm. Just not as hard hitting as some.

If however a bass boost is used they can become quite formidable in the bass region.

The hfi 780s are supposed to have less bass and more detail, so thats how that is ._.

Well thats unfortunate to hear. Lack of subbass is a huge deal to me as most of my songs require a can that can dig deep In the lows. For some reason I've always wanted an Ultrasone can. Only problem is, I can't really demo them as Ultrasone don't have a distributor here in my country.

Thanks for the feedback.

These were mine.
Not basshead.
If you amp you will run into the ceiling very early and the driver will distort.
Clamping force is unreal,:mad:
Highs are screaming at you. If they were screaming at you over copious amounts of bass like the Pro 900 I could get it. These just vice grip your head and shoot piercing highs into your ear.
Off a portable device with some eq maybe great? They clearly weren't gonna rock my world so it was not worth it. I always amp.

This isn't step up from Q40...it's a step down. The better of the 2 is cheaper......the odd world of headphone pricing example #1001:blink:

Piercing highs? I can't stand that. That's actually one of the main reason i sold my m50's. The highs were very harsh and metallic it was really fatiguing. IMO the m50's were excellent for their price at a certain time but now way too many headphones are beating them. Heck, my $40 JVC S500's sound just as good if not better than them in some areas.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #10,920 of 11,286
I can't say that I'm a big fan of Skrillex. Actually, I can say that I'm not a fan at all. However, I have a childish, bordering to insane, infatuation with Mad Decent . Here's the thing, I've seen Skrillex together with the Mad Decent crew on more than one occasion. What I am trying to say, I guess, is that if Skrillex is okay in Diplos and Dillons books, then I might have to reconsider my own opinions on him.
I'm also a Mad Decent fan, I'm a member of Mad Decent Premium!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back