The Basshead Club
Mar 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #10,231 of 11,286

Maybe look into the Beyer DT770s? They are incredibly comfortable, fantastic for lengthy listening sessions, and have a dark signature, great for bass-lovers. They can be EQ'd to be ridiculous, but have enough bass for work/day to day listening. Heavy on the sub-bass.

They also have a lot of metal parts, and are very sturdy - mine live in my toolbag permanently, and have for many years, and haven't been damaged.

If you have budget left over, the Aune T1 or a Magni/Modi combo would drive them very well.

dark signature? the only reason i started looking for other cans (770s were my first) is the bright hot treble... otherwise i agree though, i really like those cans. as youve said, they can be equalized into rumbling louder than a truck engine 
beyersmile.png

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #10,232 of 11,286

Maybe look into the Beyer DT770s? They are incredibly comfortable, fantastic for lengthy listening sessions, and have a dark signature, great for bass-lovers. They can be EQ'd to be ridiculous, but have enough bass for work/day to day listening. Heavy on the sub-bass.

They also have a lot of metal parts, and are very sturdy - mine live in my toolbag permanently, and have for many years, and haven't been damaged.

If you have budget left over, the Aune T1 or a Magni/Modi combo would drive them very well.

I was looking at the DT770 Pros (80Ω), but a pair of them and a DAC/amp to drive them looks like it's going to run around $400 which is outside of my budget ($200-300). I could get the 250Ω version for $125, but from what I've read the 80Ω version is the one for bassheads. In the end, it seemed to be a toss up between them and the XB700s.

@Subere what type of music do you listen to?

Hip-hop, dubstep, and metalcore.

I did too but he got Grado in his avatar
blink.gif

It's just the default avatar :s I've never bothered to change it.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #10,233 of 11,286

I was looking at the DT770 Pros (80Ω), but a pair of them and a DAC/amp to drive them looks like it's going to run around $400 which is outside of my budget ($200-300). I could get the 250Ω version for $125, but from what I've read the 80Ω version is the one for bassheads. In the end, it seemed to be a toss up between them and the XB700s.

DT770s will have less bass than the XB700.

I hate to say this, but I outright disagree with others that the DT770 is a "bright" or "hot" headphone. I'm (right now) comparing it to the HD600 (neutral, bright), the Denon D5000, and the LCD2.2.

Frustratingly, the DT770 is a fantastic headphone, yet it constantly gets slammed on the forums. Too bassy for the audiophiles, not bassy enough for the bassheads. I almost feel like my pair is faulty, as I don't hear what everyone else hears.

The DT770 does have a "V" shape, but it's no where near as aggressive as other cans. 

It has a lot less treble energy than a lot of other Basshead recommended headphones.

Just to address one of the responses:

DT770 dark? 
blink.gif
​ Maybe if you've lost hearing in the highs already..

Ah, and thanks for that. 

Hilariously enough, I got home from my audiologist just a few hours ago, I get my hearing tested every six months, as I need my ears for my job.

I don't have hearing loss problems.

Sorry for the rant guys, but this poor guy just wants a recommendation, and was pretty specific about his needs. Let's help him out.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #10,234 of 11,286

DT770s will have less bass than the XB700.

I hate to say this, but I outright disagree with others that the DT770 is a "bright" or "hot" headphone. I'm (right now) comparing it to the HD600 (neutral, bright), the Denon D5000, and the LCD2.2.

Frustratingly, the DT770 is a fantastic headphone, yet it constantly gets slammed on the forums. Too bassy for the audiophiles, not bassy enough for the bassheads. I almost feel like my pair is faulty, as I don't hear what everyone else hears.

The DT770 does have a "V" shape, but it's no where near as aggressive as other cans. 

It has a lot less treble energy than a lot of other Basshead recommended headphones.

Just to address one of the responses:

Ah, and thanks for that. 

Hilariously enough, I got home from my audiologist just a few hours ago, I get my hearing tested every six months, as I need my ears for my job.

I don't have hearing loss problems.

Sorry for the rant guys, but this poor guy just wants a recommendation, and was pretty specific about his needs. Let's help him out.

Bro you have forgotten more than most folks will ever learn about cans.
You can't rant.....I'm a fanboy...I rant.....you preach :)

I would say get an amp and a player before the headphones since he wants slammage he needs an amp. He's on a budget. If he gets some of these cans like my fave's and has no amp he's gonna be sad....he needs juice.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #10,235 of 11,286
I'm curious and you may have posted at some point, but what other cans have you listened at length to?
I didn't mean that they could compete with expensive cans made for detail, but they sound fairly nice when eq'd. I was surprised at them at that moment... So far, I'm looking at ha-mr77x's, and harx900's for my next cans. Kinda leaning towards harx900 because then I'll have a choice between a flat response with more detail or bass cannons. That way, I'll hit every part of my musical interests... Plus my parents don't want to spend 100$... They Still don't understand my fascination with audio... They're barely spending 60$ on those harx900. Anyone have a pair of 77's for 60$ or something?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #10,236 of 11,286
I didn't mean that they could compete with expensive cans made for detail, but they sound fairly nice when eq'd. I was surprised at them at that moment... So far, I'm looking at ha-mr77x's, and harx900's for my next cans. Kinda leaning towards harx900 because then I'll have a choice between a flat response with more detail or bass cannons. That way, I'll hit every part of my musical interests... Plus my parents don't want to spend 100$... Still don't understand my fascination with audio... They're barely spending 60$ on those harx900. Anyone have a pair of 77's for 60$ or something?

Never buy these used bro.

There are 2 different versions. One sucked and was discontinued. The other re-tuned and slapped in the same frame and ...hey...same ******* name??
blink.gif

I cannot even discuss these with folks because I don't know which ones they got.  I got my 55's off a rack and the 77's from JVC Japan in February.  I dunno how you'll tell which ones you got if they are used but I'd bet they are the discontinued model.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #10,237 of 11,286

There are 2 different versions. One sucked and was discontinued. The other re-tuned and slapped in the same frame and ...hey...same ******* name??:blink:

I cannot even discuss these with folks because I don't know which ones they got.  I got my 55's off a rack and the 77's from JVC Japan in February.  I dunno how you'll tell which ones you got if they are used but I'd bet they are the discontinued model.
... Well... Fun... I don't know why they didn't rename them then. The ha-m5x were renamed m55x. Odd that they didn't rename the 77's.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #10,238 of 11,286

Hey man, if you're happy, that's cool. I just feel it a bit odd, y'know? 

That said, that first pic? Super badass, LOL. 

Also, the Solo HDs are... man, they are not a great headphone. 

That odd feeling....I get it...mine came when I realized Beats/Monster/Dr Dre had robbed me.
Those are the Studios. They look small but they are over ear studios.

I was almost sick when I realized either

A)The industry had caught up and passed Beats via consumer stimulation
or
B) I was just a moron

I think it's a little of both but a fool and his money are not as easily parted the 2nd time around. I take notes and do lots of comparative testing. Heavy hitting Bass tracks like the one in my sig. These ugly beasts (77's) really do send off some thunderous Bass and the highs are there. the mids need eq but the Bass is worth the price and I am back on firm ground. Waiting for a step up in driver quality and sound texture. This has more bass than anybody needs so that is done. I want this bass with silky mids and crystal clear highs. I have never heard a can with this power and those reference qualities combined but I can wait.

That top pic...I'm in Japan and the 7-11 staff were very uncomfortable with me. I hang out with Yakuza (that's me with the toy gun). They know me and when i came in alone with that cowon strapped to an amp and a ridiculous cord connecting them...it was really weird. My girlfriend took that pic to show me ...

She said.."You look like a f___ing terrorist ...and THAT looks like a fu___ng bomb for christ sakes...nani kole??"  LOL

The kids who bomb into Head-fi  asking for the hardest head banger? Tell em to get the 77x and let em be. They'll grow out of it..I will...hell I still play with toy guns
biggrin.gif

(The Yak picks are to show how we play in 7-11's parking lot. These dudes are crazy and I get crazy with them in 7-11's parking. The 7-11 staff might think that's a real gun?..So I walk in alone with what looks like a bomb??? They were scared as hell. I didn't realize how scary it looked.)

You are the REALEST person I've ever seen here at head-fi. Your persuasive writing is a gift as well, and that's without factoring your headphones cred (so many in here pretend to own stuff they don't!). I faced some opposition in here more than a year ago for emphasizing the simple basshead need of lower frequencies at modern loud levels (who wouldn't want to listen to music at rock concert levels?), so seeing you pop up in here stirring things towards a similar goal was heroic. I'm no car audio enthusiast (no money), but my uncle had an SPL competing G35 and I remember sitting in that car as a child listening to my favorite music, thinking that that was how bass should be. I tried to reproduce that experience later using budget in-ears, and somehow I thought I finally found the headphones for the job with the Sennheiser CX300. But there's really no competing with the full body vibration of a speaker system. Although the HA-M77X gave a great approximation.

Because of you, I got the 77x. It hurts the top of my head but I already bought some padding for it. I reviewed it in my old budget basshead in-ears thread, saying goodbye to in-ears forever. Gave you a shout-out because I'm good at sincerely complimenting people.

Also, because of you, I got the SZ2000. That's the biggest investment I've ever made in headphones for $260 imported from Amazon Japan. I know you know the good bass experience, and it really sucks how no hi-fi headphones (that I know of) even attempt to at least be capable of reproducing that experience.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #10,239 of 11,286

I didn't mean that they could compete with expensive cans made for detail, but they sound fairly nice when eq'd. I was surprised at them at that moment... So far, I'm looking at ha-mr77x's, and harx900's for my next cans. Kinda leaning towards harx900 because then I'll have a choice between a flat response with more detail or bass cannons. That way, I'll hit every part of my musical interests... Plus my parents don't want to spend 100$... Still don't understand my fascination with audio... They're barely spending 60$ on those harx900. Anyone have a pair of 77's for 60$ or something?

There are 2 different versions. One sucked and was discontinued. The other re-tuned and slapped in the same frame and ...hey...same ******* name??
blink.gif

The HA-MR77X is available from Adorama (through ebay) for $59.95. Free shipping, no tax in CA. Brand new.

Only 8 left in stock! Hurry!

Adorama is legit. They had this price back in Black Friday in their online store, but it seems they forgot to change the price in the ebay store. Adorama.com sells it for $99.95.

EDIT: Adorama is an authorized JVC seller, and it's a famous retailer in NY just like BHPhotoVideo.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #10,240 of 11,286
... Well... Fun... I don't know why they didn't rename them then. The ha-m5x were renamed m55x. Odd that they didn't rename the 77's.

Cuz this is J.V.C's President of operations

How else to explain some stuff they do.

Took pads OFF J.V.C 55's and put them ON J.V.C sz2000 and voila fixed most of my personal issues with em and used a pad they musta had right in the factory?  They do mock ups with parts all the time...who the **** thought those pads on the sz with the cups on your ears was a good idea? They coulda pulled these others out of a drawer. 
mad.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #10,241 of 11,286

You are the REALEST person I've ever seen here at head-fi. Your persuasive writing is a gift as well, and that's without factoring your headphones cred (so many in here pretend to own stuff they don't!). I faced some opposition in here more than a year ago for emphasizing the simple basshead need of lower frequencies at modern loud levels (who wouldn't want to listen to music at rock concert levels?), so seeing you pop up in here stirring things towards a similar goal was heroic. I'm no car audio enthusiast (no money), but my uncle had an SPL competing G35 and I remember sitting in that car as a child listening to my favorite music, thinking that that was how bass should be. I tried to reproduce that experience later using budget in-ears, and somehow I thought I finally found the headphones for the job with the Sennheiser CX300. But there's really no competing with the full body vibration of a speaker system. Although the HA-M77X gave a great approximation.

Because of you, I got the 77x. It hurts the top of my head but I already bought some padding for it. I reviewed it in my old budget basshead in-ears thread, saying goodbye to in-ears forever. Gave you a shout-out because I'm good at sincerely complimenting people.

Also, because of you, I got the SZ2000. That's the biggest investment I've ever made in headphones for $260 imported from Amazon Japan. I know you know the good bass experience, and it really sucks how no hi-fi headphones (that I know of) even attempt to at least be capable of reproducing that experience.

Bro,
I'm not worthy. Thanks though.

1st. Change the pads off the 77x and try them on the sz2000. (They slip of so easy it takes 1 minute per cup)  Massive comfort diff and tightens bass around 100Hz. Do that until you get proper pads for them. I don't listen to the 77 lately because of the sz2000 but I took the pads of the 55's so my sz and 77 are ready but the 55's are toast...being cannibalized.

My 1st experience was ironically infront of an orchestra in Boston at the Half Shell esplanade listening to John Williams conduct during a 4th of July concert. I had V.I.P because my grandmother played for the Boston Pops/ B.S.O   I felt the music that day. I heard it and I felt it. It passed through my body. It was unreal. I need to feel the music. It's part of the experience. Car audio was a way of chasing that sonic high. With headphones it's not looked upon highly and i get it...or don't but don't care.  Very few cans can give you a "Holy ****" kind of feeling. I look for those. I tell everyone that inquires about the sz that it's not like other cans. It is limited and It is skilled. The limits do not bother me because they are for Hip Hop. For that they are peerless. Not anything close.

If i wanna ride off road I drive an off road vehicle. If i wanna drive fast i drive a fast car. I do not buy a car that can go fast and handle some off road.  Folks want cans that can give them a good low freq response but still play other genre. How about a can for each? How about a set for bass centric music and another for the rest? A massive low end will interrupt the early mids and there is NO way around that. Zero. Cake and eat it too? Not happening.  I will get TH900 later in life as they were playing Classic when i first heard them and did it quite well. When I wanna thump my body and vibrate my head and neck the sz will always be there.  If the sz haven't made you smile you haven't made you grin ear to ear you havent raised that low stage enough yet. They are low frequency gems. I smile every night after pounding them thinking how lucky I was to find em'....NOBODY ever mentioned these to me. I'm glad you got em' . The cup change is critical and for you easy since you got the 77.

FWIW,
The folks who scream the loudest against something usually hold the deeper insecurities about it. 

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.

Robert M Pirsig   (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)

Don't even argue with folks. I forget my own advice sometimes but it truly is pointless. Just be happy you are happy.

Thanks again....and turn that sz UP
L3000.gif

EDIT"

I just read your thread and in case anyone thinks we are one in the same we are not
biggrin.gif

I never owned IEM's because of what you said about in your head full but not full full....that head trauma is important. You also go out of your way to distort cans which I do because I wanna know my headroom. I never considered Judas Priest with 77's but I might crack open Metallica Garage days re re-visited (The 5.98 E.P) just for fun.
I also need my Jeteffects (BBE, Mach3bass) big time. Cowon.....man I need that. I cannot listen through a PC anymore. I hope the sz make you puke.....I mean that in a good way!!

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #10,242 of 11,286

Bro,
I'm not worthy. Thanks though.

1st. Change the pads off the 77x and try them on the sz2000. (They slip of so easy it takes 1 minute per cup)  Massive comfort diff and tightens bass around 100Hz. Do that until you get proper pads for them. I don't listen to the 77 lately because of the sz2000 but I took the pads of the 55's so my sz and 77 are ready but the 55's are toast...being cannibalized.

My 1st experience was ironically infront of an orchestra in Boston at the Half Shell esplanade listening to John Williams conduct during a 4th of July concert. I had V.I.P because my grandmother played for the Boston Pops/ B.S.O   I felt the music that day. I heard it and I felt it. It passed through my body. It was unreal. I need to feel the music. It's part of the experience. Car audio was a way of chasing that sonic high. With headphones it's not looked upon highly and i get it...or don't but don't care.  Very few cans can give you a "Holy ****" kind of feeling. I look for those. I tell everyone that inquires about the sz that it's not like other cans. It is limited and It is skilled. The limits do not bother me because they are for Hip Hop. For that they are peerless. Not anything close.

If i wanna ride off road I drive an off road vehicle. If i wanna drive fast i drive a fast car. I do not buy a car that can go fast and handle some off road.  Folks want cans that can give them a good low freq response but still play other genre. How about a can for each? How about a set for bass centric music and another for the rest? A massive low end will interrupt the early mids and there is NO way around that. Zero. Cake and eat it too? Not happening.  I will get TH900 later in life as they were playing Classic when i first heard them and did it quite well. When I wanna thump my body and vibrate my head and neck the sz will always be there.  If the sz haven't made you smile you haven't made you grin ear to ear you havent raised that low stage enough yet. They are low frequency gems. I smile every night after pounding them thinking how lucky I was to find em'....NOBODY ever mentioned these to me. I'm glad you got em' . The cup change is critical and for you easy since you got the 77.

FWIW,
The folks who scream the loudest against something usually hold the deeper insecurities about it. 

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.

Robert M Pirsig   (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)

Don't even argue with folks. I forget my own advice sometimes but it truly is pointless. Just be happy you are happy.

Thanks again....and turn that sz UP
L3000.gif

EDIT"

I just read your thread and in case anyone thinks we are one in the same we are not
biggrin.gif

I never owned IEM's because of what you said about in your head full but not full full....that head trauma is important. You also go out of your way to distort cans which I do because I wanna know my headroom. I never considered Judas Priest with 77's but I might crack open Metallica Garage days re re-visited (The 5.98 E.P) just for fun.
I also need my Jeteffects (BBE, Mach3bass) big time. Cowon.....man I need that. I cannot listen through a PC anymore. I hope the sz make you puke.....I mean that in a good way!!

Just got an epiphany from what you said about specialization LOL I've always valued versatility, and I strive for having cakes that I can eat too. Then, (perhaps because of your way of saying it), I thought, hey, specialization is cool too ... but not on people. Then I started doubting that ... specialization is cool for people too ... and that I don't have to do everything because I can rely on others. And relying on others is not so bad. Comparative advantage stuff. Anyway, I have this mentality that I only have money for just one thing. So I have to depend on that thing to do most of the stuff that I need. This mentality encroaches upon most aspects of my life. Somehow, it gives me an optimism that there are general solutions to seemingly complex problems. Headphones don't always have to play massive low end (as you said, there is no way around interrupting early mids), but they should be able to. Perhaps a multiple driver system, like many solutions already in the market. Although I listen to everything, bass makes up much of my needs so with my mentality that should be an absolute minimum requirement. (Even in delicate piano tracks I learned to crave the low ends being amplified to ridiculous.)

And yeah, I'm done with in-ears. I stacked on discontinued CX400's imported from Japan last last year, got 4 of them because I was convinced I'd be passing them down to my grandchildren.

I just ordered my SZ2000 BTW so I'll get them next week earliest. Thanks for the ear pad tip, I thought you used the pads from the 55x since they have the same size drivers as the SZ.

And just to remind everyone else, the HA-MR77X is still going for $59.95 new on Adorama's ebay store, go grab one of 8 left in stock.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #10,243 of 11,286

Just got an epiphany from what you said about specialization LOL I've always valued versatility, and I strive for having cakes that I can eat too. Then, (perhaps because of your way of saying it), I thought, hey, specialization is cool too ... but not on people. Then I started doubting that ... specialization is cool for people too ... and that I don't have to do everything because I can rely on others. And relying on others is not so bad. Comparative advantage stuff. Anyway, I have this mentality that I only have money for just one thing. So I have to depend on that thing to do most of the stuff that I need. This mentality encroaches upon most aspects of my life. Somehow, it gives me an optimism that there are general solutions to seemingly complex problems. Headphones don't always have to play massive low end (as you said, there is no way around interrupting early mids), but they should be able to. Perhaps a multiple driver system, like many solutions already in the market. Although I listen to everything, bass makes up much of my needs so with my mentality that should be an absolute minimum requirement. (Even in delicate piano tracks I learned to crave the low ends being amplified to ridiculous.)

And yeah, I'm done with in-ears. I stacked on discontinued CX400's imported from Japan last last year, got 4 of them because I was convinced I'd be passing them down to my grandchildren.

I just ordered my SZ2000 BTW so I'll get them next week earliest. Thanks for the ear pad tip, I thought you used the pads from the 55x since they have the same size drivers as the SZ.

And just to remind everyone else, the HA-MR77X is still going for $59.95 new on Adorama's ebay store, go grab one of 8 left in stock.

The sz are gonna be like a ******* playground for you. Dual drivers stacked with the rear one a dedicated sub double chambered double tuned. Really fun stuff. i have been too bust to try Fleetwood Mac, Metallica, Tchiakovsky and save the settings for each in the Cowon's profile but there is no reason it cannot shine and a lot of reasons it should.

I did take the cups off the 55's. I believe the 77 and 55 share the same cup housing/pads so i suggested that for an immediate upgrade to the sz. I do not want too soft a pad because that takes away from the vibe/impact so i am not getting the Brainwavez because the 55 swap worked very very well.  I noted your bass boost settings in your thread...very very similar on the 77

for the sz I use 8 which is +6.5  and the fioo boost. That low boost (fiio e12)  growing before the audible is really important for me as the cowon is born at about audible while the fiio raises the pre audible.  I'm in Japan so it's crash time. Hope your cans travel safe...and fast! 

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #10,244 of 11,286
Unless smiley wants to trade his 77's for my 55's since it sounds like he might just put the pads on the sz2000's, I think I'll go order them on eBay... Oh, if you do want a trade, I'll throw in 15$ or something along with the 55's.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #10,245 of 11,286

JBL J55

Just picked up a new pair of headphones, and I'm loving them. Great sound quality and clarity, also has nice bass. These are half the price of my previous cans, so I'll be getting a fiio amp next month. Hawaiibadboy tried on the 55x in store on my phone and didn't care for them. The sales associates didn't like them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back