The Basshead Club
Mar 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #9,826 of 11,286
My current research since I want to order tonight, is actually agreeing with your comments. I dont need flatness and my X10s when EQed get decent so any improvement on that will get me where I want to be. They are cool looking to and I am already imagning a custom plate lol If I decide to go with them that is. More hours of reading/comparing ahead :D
I doubt you will be disappointed, my previous set of cans were the XB-500s and the M-100 is definitely a massive upgrade in terms of clarity and bass extension.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #9,827 of 11,286
I doubt you will be disappointed, my previous set of cans were the XB-500s and the M-100 is definitely a massive upgrade in terms of clarity and bass extension.

I don't know about you but the XB500 I had already let me hear down to 16-17Hz which is where my audible limit goes, should be plenty. ^^

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #9,828 of 11,286
Hmm... I wonder where Hawaii with his opinions is?

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #9,829 of 11,286
I thought an amp just raises the volume and db level. Does it also increase the audio quality?

It depends on how power hungry your headphones are. Think of it like trying to power a flood light with two AA batteries. It may produce some light, but it's nowhere near its full potential for brightness.

Don't get V-Moda M-100's. They are described as Beats 2.0.

What? I have never heard anything like that at all. Not everyone likes the M-100's, but no reviews I have read have said anything like that. Maybe the original LP are Beats-like, but definitely not the M-100.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #9,831 of 11,286
This Beats 2.0 accusation is ridiculous. There is only one person in this thread that describes the M-100 like that, and that's hawaiibadboy. The M-100's mids are hardly recessed especially compared to cans like the Crossfade LP, All of the Sony XB series, or the ultrasone Pro line.
The M-100's soundstage isn't massive with stock pads but is never congested. The XL pads really opened up the soundstage for me personally, and they also loosened up the bass a tiny bit, which I like. When I was trying to decide what headphone to get I was stuck between the M-100 and the Pro 900, but I eventually decided on the M-100 and I have never regretted it. My vote is for the M-100 by far.

They are way over hyped and over priced and known for bass by some and they are not even as bassy as the 80's. This is the basshead thread...no? I don't comment in the Vmoda love thread because I don't understand the love. Don't like the looks or fit or price. Sound is superior to the beats in mids and highs and many others in the teenage early 20's fashion conscious market but this is a bass-centric thread. The Denons for 100 bucks v.s. 300 buck V-Moda? ..C'mon son...get off the fanwagon.  Not basshead cans.  The pro 900 stomp on the Vmoda's head...you gotta tone down the highs but if your talking about having to change pads to get optimal sound than neither is coming out the box ready to shine.

My opinion and yours...combined...equall ZERO. He needs to listen and decide for himself before ANOTHER person is led down a path filled with good intentions and other peoples opinions. Not calling out names but a couple folks recently didn't get what they thought the hype was telling them they'd get. Listen for yourself.
Quote:

I've had the M100 twice, hoping to fall in love with them for portable usage.  Nope.  Just didn't do it for me.

I love the Denon D600 but it's large and bulbous on the head so keep that in mind but if you're using them at work they are uber comfy (something the M100 is not even with the XL pads) for hours at a time as you describe your work usage.  That's actually the headphone I use at work myself. 

The Ultrasone Pro900 is another one in your price range that I have that is very comfy and brings the bass like a sledgehammer. 

I'd agree with this. 

And to folks questioning amps for testing headphones? I dunno what to say? Your ipod or PMP player of choice is not going to be able to show you the power and lack of  in cans...especially the higher priced ones that might make you sad when listening to them later at home. An amp is like shining a light. It makes what you see clearer not better but seeing things clearer makes for a better informed purchase.

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #9,832 of 11,286
My current research since I want to order tonight, is actually agreeing with your comments. I dont need flatness and my X10s when EQed get decent so any improvement on that will get me where I want to be. They are cool looking to and I am already imagning a custom plate lol If I decide to go with them that is. More hours of reading/comparing ahead :D

What are you using them on?

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #9,833 of 11,286

What?

The one other thing besides impact that XB 500 does better than m100 is extension.

Extension being the hanging of a low tone longer and lower into the freq spectrum?

Massive upgrade? I don't even think it's equal and it's on the XB side. You seem to be over rationalizing your own 300 bucks v.s. ...how much were the XB 500?  Clarity?...sure. Massive upgrade in low freq extension? Even the manufacturers specs dispute that claim one rates to 4Hz (XB) the other to 5Hz. Considering these are in the inaudible range a claim of one being a massive upgrade is in need of equipment to support. That's like the one thing the XB does better and you claim it's the 100's that are massive in that point.

I'm done. I didn't call you names. Your advising another person to spend money and your going over board. Another persons money....

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #9,834 of 11,286
  They are way over hyped and over priced and known for bass by some and they are not even as bassy as the 80's. This is the basshead thread...no? I don't comment in the Vmoda love thread because I don't understand the love. Don't like the looks or fit or price. Sound is superior to the beats in mids and highs and many others in the teenage early 20's fashion conscious market but this is a bass-centric thread. The Denons for 100 bucks v.s. 300 buck V-Moda? ..C'mon son...get off the fanwagon.  Not basshead cans. If he's looking for cans without bass emphasis V-moda 100 will leave him hanging but he will look nice.  The pro 900 stomp on the Vmoda's head...you gotta tone down the highs but if your talking about having to change pads to get optimal sound than neither is coming out the box ready to shine.

The M-100's are not known for the quantity of their bass. They are not bass cannons. Anything you can read about the M-100's will tell you that. V-Moda even marketed them as headphones for the "modern audiophile", obviously implying that these things won't have that large of an emphasis on the bass. The reason they got so much hype is because of the quality of the sound, not the quantity.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #9,835 of 11,286
Modern audiophile. Ha. That's funny... I see a clear V shaped response, with an emphasis on bass... Don't you?http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=4011&graphID%5B%5D=3181&graphID%5B%5D=513&scale=30

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #9,836 of 11,286
Actually, looking at it, its completely off balanced with bass.

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #9,838 of 11,286
Lol I was looking at the apple ibud frequency response chart, and it drops like a rock at 200hz.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #9,840 of 11,286
Hawaiibadboy, how are those Akai's treating you?

Like studio headphones. Fantastic clarity for studio mixing but not bass heavy at all. I own a beautifully made and crafted set of studio cans....Yeah. lol
They are so nice though I will keep them and studio type monitors are always nice to have on hand. I do love them. I listen to rock on them and my bass cans don't play guitar notes well so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back