The Basshead Club
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #9,661 of 11,286
  got the q40's today and the pandora. The q40s sound really good. the clamp has to be the tightest I have ever had peeerrriiiooood! the bass is above its price but not as loud as I thought. Its still loud though. I was just expecting something way more exaggerated. The pandora bass is just as much and a bit better but the balance of the pandora makes them seem like they are not as gassy because the mids and highs are forward. The pandora is just as loud in the bass and as thumping. 

Both are really good headphones.

what amps are you using with the q40 though?

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #9,662 of 11,286

what amps are you using with the q40 though?

I am running it from the universal apollo twin duo. If I plug it into my nuforce ha 200 it will increase significantly but so will all the others. 

the apollo is really balanced without enhanced bass. its pretty flat actually. It made my ZMF sound flat. So you know what let me try the other amp. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #9,663 of 11,286

This is when you know you're getting old.  I listen to your big top 40 radio tunes in the traffic jam on the way to work and had no idea that today's pop music had dubstep elements - I thought it was a bastardisation.  I've had people show me dubstep, or was it drum and bass or maybe it was EDM...I can't remember, but I have know idea where one starts and another begins.

Old people like me eventually shut their minds in and do not respond to new music styles and stay in their old ways reminiscing of their teenage years and for me that was G-funk and Techno (rock as well of course, but this is the basshead thread).

Haha, I'm not old, but dubstep is just horrible. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #9,664 of 11,286
So Pandora sounds like a grown up q40? Nice, those are #2 on my list of cans to try. How is the clamp on the pandoras? Another thing pad size, will the q40 pads fit Pandora and vice versa?

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #9,665 of 11,286
The pads aren't interchangeable. The pandora has too little clamp actually. The are both on opposite ends of the spectrum. This is only day one with both so I have to hold back. They sound different for sure though neither are really bright.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #9,666 of 11,286
The pads aren't interchangeable. The pandora has too little clamp actually. The are both on opposite ends of the spectrum. This is only day one with both so I have to hold back. They sound different for sure though neither are really bright.

Glad you like the Q40's. Still with stock pads or have you gotten the Alphas back?

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #9,667 of 11,286
just received my q40 with alpha.

im not really that impressed with it, not enough kick even fully amped/EQ. this headphone shines in bass quality, but not quantity. the quantity is nothing special at all, in the sense that i could amp other phones including white box m50 with zo/e11 for close to the same effect, and with same amount/lack of distortion. it holds its own in its price range and is a definite alternative to the other popular $100-150 models, but thats all i can say for it.

i think one of the main problems of why i dont like it is that the vocals/female voice are too neutral and not impressive, but thats probably because i prefer V shape with enhanced female vocals and mainly listen to trance. u need those super emphasised female orgasmic voices in trance. the headphone itself is pretty comfortable for my head shape, even with stock pads i dont find a problem. alpha pads make it even more soft and comfy. the stock cable and connectors are terrible (but replaceable and got v-moda audio only on the way so no big deal).

i still havent found anything that comes close to the bass explosion and clarity of gr02 bass edition IEMs with e11/zo especially for its price. i think i have given up my search on finding something better for a long while.

will give these some time though, might like them eventually.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #9,669 of 11,286
  got the q40's today and the pandora. The q40s sound really good. the clamp has to be the tightest I have ever had peeerrriiiooood! the bass is above its price but not as loud as I thought. Its still loud though. I was just expecting something way more exaggerated. The pandora bass is just as much and a bit better but the balance of the pandora makes them seem like they are not as gassy because the mids and highs are forward. The pandora is just as loud in the bass and as thumping. 

Both are really good headphones.

I never got to amp the Q40 but it seemed it brilliance was in the sub to mid transition. Something foreign to folks coming from Beats and cited as a hallmark of Hi-Fi cans. Are you talking about Pandora Hopes? Those are gorgeous...pics please. :) 

I can think of perhaps 5 cans that deserve the term "Cannon".  The Cannonazation of cans should be agreed upon via vote of members with said candidates. 

upon which declaration the person/cans is included in the canon, or list, of recognized saints./holy cans of God like slammage

biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #9,670 of 11,286
Hmm, maybe the Pandora VI is an overlooked quality basshead can. :) Too bad about the clamp though, I need a decent amount clamp, in fact I quite enjoy the Q40's clamp because it doesn't cause any issues comfort-wise. Probably it has settled down slightly since it was new though but yea I haven't manually stretched it though.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #9,675 of 11,286
I find it hard to increase the clamp though with bending, usually it springs back after a little while.

The way the cups are and how soft the pads are a strong clamp wouldn't be ideal. I for one would like more clamp but I would like it with deeper thicker pads like the jvc dx700 I had.
The good news is that they ar making new pads for them to fix the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back