The Basshead Club
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #8,716 of 11,286
  My girlfriend, who I'm being very nice to, after letting me make such a big purchase 
tongue_smile.gif

does she have an equally awesome sister? :)

i haven't really looked into LCD2 that much (haven't got there yet!), but is Rev.2.2 the one with the best bass?

was considering getting HE-400 to try something different...but tempted to just skip all the way! :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #8,718 of 11,286
Hey guys. Haven't been here in some time. Anyway, need your opinions on something. Im looking for an over ear closed back basshead can. I need bass quantity + quality ,specifically looking for a can that excels at subbass and very low frequencies. Im ok with the mids being recessed if the bass is perfect. Keep in mind i do like a lot of bass :wink: The maximum i could spend unfortunately is $150, as shipping to here already takes $30 and im saving up for something big (non-headphone related). If it has a detachable cable, that would be a huge plus. Portability is kind of important but not necessary. I mean, if it doesn't have a coiled cable then i could use it as a portable. Oh, and i have plenty of power to drive anything so amping is not an issue.

As of now, my options are:

UE6000, theres a killer deal for them on Amazon now for $99.

M Audio Q40 ($139).

Creative Aurvana Live 2 ($129)

So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Q40, add a V-Moda audio only cable for $15 and $14 for Shure pads and you're set. A bit over your purchase price but close.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #8,720 of 11,286
Q40, add a V-Moda audio only cable for $15 and $14 for Shure pads and you're set. A bit over your purchase price but close.

Well, i have some Beyer pads. And from what i've read they go really good with the Q40's. Do you have any experience with that? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #8,721 of 11,286
  She's lolling at your responses. And she likes Japanese food, not French 
wink_face.gif

I gave her a set of Westone 3s as a gift last year, she loves them. She's a basshead!

LOL. You should get her into Head-Fi...unless she already is one of the four five women on Head-Fi history. She like sushi? 

[I am going nuts right now.]

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #8,722 of 11,286
  I own both. Love both. I will say the D2000 have a TON of bass when EQ'd and amped. And yes they sound smooth and refined. But at this point I prefer their comfortable pads on my HE-400's. The 400's being totally open kind of sucks when kids family running around..but when all is quiet...WOW. I thought I was more basshead...it took a pair of HP's that brings out details in music, games, etc and the open sound is so damn good. The bass is pretty damn good too, can be EQ'd and Amped it for sure! There isn't the same impact either..the D2000's will rumble deeper and hit harder, but the bass on the 400's is more defined, accurate, enveloping without being muddy. The D2000's seem deep and smooth with rumble. Both are excellent. I've had my D2000's for 4-5 years. I plan on getting another set of pads so I can still use them. They're fun, but the HE-400 are more fun overall. I got my HE-400 for $319 shipped new before Christmas. It's a tough draw but I feel like I moved forward going with the HE-400, it's more fun and adds more to my music and games, a depth, I can't explain but is sure fun to enjoy. I'm no audiophile but I'm glad I bought these! The D2000's see a lotta drawer time...which is good, mine broke at the hinge and they're rigged up until further notice. If you NEED bass, go D2000...if you need easier to drive, go D2000. The HE-400's are easy to drive but lose a lot without amping imho..especially in bass. They're both still good unamped but the D2000 sound better unamped imho.

It's awfully tough to justify a used pair for the same price as a new HE-400 though. The D2000 are far lighter and more comfy. The HE-400 clamp better. Both do very well in your preferred music range. I listen to about everything, and the HE-400 is more of a do-anything can than the D2000 IMO. Tough choice in a sense, and easy in the other. If you value bass and want a legend, get the D2000...but be careful with them. The HE-400 are built tough...not worried about breaking them. I am still very nice but they're solid. The cable doesn't bug me. The stock pleathers sound good and are more comfy w/o the foam ring under the pads. I vote HE-400. Especially if you don't mind using an EQ! Both respond well, the HE-400 responds better imo. I gotta stop there... I vote HE-400. 

Haha. I can totally see your love for both. I feel like its getting even harder after reading this lol. If I can get a D2000 cheaper I will def buy it...but for its price now its really hard for me to ignore the HE-400. I listen to a lot of different music too, but mainly indie rock and dubsteps. Can I ask what amp do you use for your HE-400?

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #8,723 of 11,286
  Well, i have some Beyer pads. And from what i've read they go really good with the Q40's. Do you have any experience with that? 

Are you talking about the velour or the pleather or the gel Beyer pads?  I've tried them all on the Q40.  The velour to me killed the bass and ruined the isolation.  Gel was great but getting used to the feel was interesting.  Pleather was good but prefer the Shure 840 pleather.  Ultimately the Alpha pads, which are on it now, are my favorite bar none. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #8,724 of 11,286
Are you talking about the velour or the pleather or the gel Beyer pads?  I've tried them all on the Q40.  The velour to me killed the bass and ruined the isolation.  Gel was great but getting used to the feel was interesting.  Pleather was good but prefer the Shure 840 pleather.  Ultimately the Alpha pads, which are on it now, are my favorite bar none. 

I was talking about the velour pads. And that fact that the velour killed the bass is bad as i love those pads so much. Softest and most comfy pads ive ever tried. I think ill go with the stock pads then order the 840 pads if i dont like the stock ones.

Anyway, thanks for the help man.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #8,725 of 11,286
I was talking about the velour pads. And that fact that the velour killed the bass is bad as i love those pads so much. Softest and most comfy pads ive ever tried. I think ill go with the stock pads then order the 840 pads if i dont like the stock ones.

Anyway, thanks for the help man.

My pleasure.   Always glad to help.

A very respected member Malveaux did a review on the Q40 and LOVED the velour.  When I tried them..............not so much.  Comfort WAS good but the death of the bass drop was a non starter for me.  Alpha pads re as comfy anyway and no pleather/leather pad hurts the bass. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #8,726 of 11,286
Thanks man! Couldn't be happier. Can't wipe that ridiculous grin off my face..

And yup! Rev 2.2, 2013 model. The later 2013 model had slightly thicker and softer pads, I believe. 

The bass is incredible. Sub-bass like I've never heard in a headphone system.

Thats awesome!!! Have fun!!

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #8,727 of 11,286
finally enjoying my D2k... although she's got some more work heading her way soon! egar to see the end result of all this time... spent and money sank xD 

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #8,729 of 11,286
Hey guys. Haven't been here in some time. Anyway, need your opinions on something. Im looking for an over ear closed back basshead can. I need bass quantity + quality ,specifically looking for a can that excels at subbass and very low frequencies. Im ok with the mids being recessed if the bass is perfect. Keep in mind i do like a lot of bass
wink.gif
The maximum i could spend unfortunately is $150, as shipping to here already takes $30 and im saving up for something big (non-headphone related). If it has a detachable cable, that would be a huge plus. Portability is kind of important but not necessary. I mean, if it doesn't have a coiled cable then i could use it as a portable. Oh, and i have plenty of power to drive anything so amping is not an issue.

As of now, my options are:

UE6000, theres a killer deal for them on Amazon now for $99.

M Audio Q40 ($139).

Creative Aurvana Live 2 ($129)

So what do you guys think? Any other suggestions? 

Do you have to buy from amazon because this stuff can be had at a cheaper price. The Q40s are only $99 directly from M-audio's website and the ue6000's are only $89 on ebay with free shipping (you just missed the sales from tigerdirect for $69.97 or something like that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back