The Basshead Club
Jan 22, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,096 of 11,286

Quote:
[size=medium]Hey guys, I recently bought the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 and really enjoy them. Before the LP2 I was using the Denon AH-D7000 and don’t think I’ll be able to go back to them. Reason being is that the LP2 offers that “punch” I’ve been looking for.[/size]

[size=medium]Think I finally figured out that I’m a basshead. So in everyone’s opinion what’s the next step up if I want to keep the “punch” of the LP2?[/size]

Man I would have just traded you my LP2 for your Denons!!!!     ; )

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,098 of 11,286

Quote:
[size=medium]Hey guys, I recently bought the V-MODA Crossfade LP2 and really enjoy them. Before the LP2 I was using the Denon AH-D7000 and don’t think I’ll be able to go back to them. Reason being is that the LP2 offers that “punch” I’ve been looking for.[/size]

[size=medium]Think I finally figured out that I’m a basshead. So in everyone’s opinion what’s the next step up if I want to keep the “punch” of the LP2?[/size]

EQ it out for the best possible result. For me it was only worth $70 or so sound quality wise out of box as it was so horribly balanced but with this EQ setting it's more like $130 worth of sound to me:

Still my M-Audio Q40 trumps all over the LP2 for me though soundwise and doesn't require EQing to sound great, it has plenty of impact/punch, not quite as much as LP2 as these are the headphones with the biggest "punch" in the midbass especially even trumping over XB500 there but the Q40 have still plenty of punch which is somewhere in the middle between D7000 and LP2, well probably more closer to LP2 than Denon 7000.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,099 of 11,286
[size=medium]@MorbidToaster[/size]

[size=medium]Totally serious, but it’s not like I threw my D7000 away. It’s sitting on a rack with some other cans waiting to be switched out.[/size]

[size=medium]@DannyBay[/size]

[size=medium]How generous of you! :p[/size]

[size=medium]@LithoJazoSphere[/size]

[size=medium]I completely agree, the D7000 do have wonderful bass but not the “punch” of the LP2. I’ll look into the Pro 900, thanks for the suggestion![/size]

[size=medium]@RPGWiZaRD[/size]

[size=medium]I admit the LP2 don’t sound anywhere near as good as the D7000, or my HD598, but I’m willing to live with a little less quality. I’ll defiantly look into the M-Audio Q40, sounds like a good middle ground.[/size]

[size=medium]On EQing[/size]

[size=medium]My problem with EQing is that I use my headphones for more than just music and on more than one device. On my PC I have a FiiO E9 and an X-Fi Titanium HD, mostly play games and listen to music here. But when I want to watch a blu-ray or play a console only game I move to my PS3 and ASTRO MixAMP. When playing a handheld game I’ll plug my headphones into that as well. (I use a Grado Mini Adaptor Cable for my D7000 and HD598)[/size]

[size=medium]So while I understand the benefits of EQing it doesn’t seem worth it to me. I mean sure if I EQ my PC setup it’ll sound awesome but when I switch to my PS3 it’ll just go back to the headphone’s “standard” sound. I’d rather keep the “standard” sound all around then have one setup sound better than the rest.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll admit, as I’m sure you’ve all figured out by now, that I’m a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. I only just bought my first pair of headphones in July but I’ve finally figuring out what I’m looking for.[/size]

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,100 of 11,286
This is too awesome not to be quoted

Quote:
I can finally contribute.  My nephew asked me if I was wearing beats.  Then he noticed that they were not.  When he asked why since beats have the best bass, I told him that bass is like a woman's behind. ( not the exact word I used)  Big and boomy is fun for a short time, but nice and tight is better is better for the long run.

Actually I'm at the age where I don't care what anyone else uses or thinks.   

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,101 of 11,286

Quote:
[size=medium]@MorbidToaster[/size]

[size=medium]Totally serious, but it’s not like I threw my D7000 away. It’s sitting on a rack with some other cans waiting to be switched out.[/size]

[size=medium]@DannyBay[/size]

[size=medium]How generous of you! :p[/size]

[size=medium]@LithoJazoSphere[/size]

[size=medium]I completely agree, the D7000 do have wonderful bass but not the “punch” of the LP2. I’ll look into the Pro 900, thanks for the suggestion![/size]

[size=medium]@RPGWiZaRD[/size]

[size=medium]I admit the LP2 don’t sound anywhere near as good as the D7000, or my HD598, but I’m willing to live with a little less quality. I’ll defiantly look into the M-Audio Q40, sounds like a good middle ground.[/size]

[size=medium]On EQing[/size]

[size=medium]My problem with EQing is that I use my headphones for more than just music and on more than one device. On my PC I have a FiiO E9 and an X-Fi Titanium HD, mostly play games and listen to music here. But when I want to watch a blu-ray or play a console only game I move to my PS3 and ASTRO MixAMP. When playing a handheld game I’ll plug my headphones into that as well. (I use a Grado Mini Adaptor Cable for my D7000 and HD598)[/size]

[size=medium]So while I understand the benefits of EQing it doesn’t seem worth it to me. I mean sure if I EQ my PC setup it’ll sound awesome but when I switch to my PS3 it’ll just go back to the headphone’s “standard” sound. I’d rather keep the “standard” sound all around then have one setup sound better than the rest.[/size]

[size=medium]I’ll admit, as I’m sure you’ve all figured out by now, that I’m a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. I only just bought my first pair of headphones in July but I’ve finally figuring out what I’m looking for.[/size]

lol are you really bored enough to change your font and bold all your replies?

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,103 of 11,286

Quote:
lol are you really bored enough to change your font and bold all your replies?

I usually type my stuff out in Word before posting, to prevent spelling errors, than paste it into the message box. Guess my Word font is different than the default message box one. I also bold my replies as a courtesy to others, unless of course quoting is easier.

@Parall3l

Thanks for that!

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,104 of 11,286

Quote:
Heres some measurements of the Q40. 

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=4&document_srl=9049

That's some nice measurements. Need to keep an eye on this site more often. I do agree these had a very noticable spike in the 8~10 kHz region out of box but it has tamed down with burn-in and also the simple mod to stuff paper beneath the pads made it more balanced sounding. I also see here that the one notch up on my EQ at 500Hz and 1kHz as well as 31Hz makes perfectly sense as well for better balance but yea at this point I know I can trust my ears as I've been EQing for so long now I can tell pretty nicely where the dips/peaks are just by listening to music.

There's also this other Frequency response curve for Q40 I found which shows very similar curve so yea you get a quite good glimpse of the FR balance of this headphone

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,105 of 11,286

Quote:
I usually type my stuff out in Word before posting, to prevent spelling errors, than paste it into the message box. Guess my Word font is different than the default message box one. I also bold my replies as a courtesy to others, unless of course quoting is easier.

@Parall3l

Thanks for that!

haha why would you be worried that people would tease your grammar, it's just a forum.

i'd find it easier to tease someone who goes into Word spell check because they're so worried about it lol

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,106 of 11,286

It's pretty common around here actually. Not just random teasing for it, but if 2 people are arguing and one of them runs out of things to validate their opinion they often turn to poor grammar insults.

Quote:
haha why would you be worried that people would tease your grammar, it's just a forum.

i'd find it easier to tease someone who goes into Word spell check because they're so worried about it lol

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,107 of 11,286

Quote:
It's pretty common around here actually. Not just random teasing for it, but if 2 people are arguing and one of them runs out of things to validate their opinion they often turn to poor grammar insults.

Really? I've went through few of the longest threads around here and haven't seen an argument gone that far. On the topic can someone name few bands with bassheavy songs?

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,109 of 11,286

Quote:

I had horrible grammar and spelling when I first started posting on the internet and got torn a new ******* for it. It's just stuck with me I guess.

For everyone else, I bought a Q40 and it should arrive here Tuesday. I'll post what I think about it at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back