The Basshead Club
Jan 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #8,611 of 11,286
I didnt think they isolated that well. Guess i'm being spoiled with my dj's though haha

i think it's all relative...DT-770 isolate better than a lot of headphones, but not as good as some (ie. HD25 and probably DJ orientated headphones).

with music playing, the isolation is good enough for me (same for M-100 which isolates even less).

i guess it depends on how loud your music is, how noisy the environment, and what you're used to.

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #8,612 of 11,286
i think it's all relative...DT-770 isolate better than a lot of headphones, but not as good as some (ie. HD25 and probably DJ orientated headphones).

with music playing, the isolation is good enough for me (same for M-100 which isolates even less).

i guess it depends on how loud your music is, how noisy the environment, and what you're used to.

It does. I listen to quiet music now but when i was using those i had been blasting them. It couldve also been the fit on my head though. Those things have some big earcups lol.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,613 of 11,286
For most people isolation is either good enough or not, there's no quantity involved.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #8,615 of 11,286
..or there is too much isolation as well. What I meant was there isn't any real quantity to isolation, its just not enough, too much, or just right.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #8,617 of 11,286
Of course there is quantity to isolation, it's measurable like anything else. IMO like many things, subjective preferences are unnecessary to depend on when you have statistics & measurements that will reveal what's average, bad or good isolation.

Going by Tyll's measurements, seems -12dBr (Broadband Isolation in dB, 100Hz to 10kHz) is roughly the average for closed headphones, that's headphones like Audio Technica M50. Very great isolation for example would be for example Mr Speakers Mad Dogs at -17dBr and very poor for closed-back headphones would be for example Denon Dxxx series at -7dBr. 

So my rating:

Bad: <-10dBr
Average: -10~14dBr
Great: >-14dBr+

Doesn't matter if you go from -17dBr to a headphone with -15dBr, that doesn't make the isolation bad only because you had some very great isolation before. :) It's then your job to figure out whether you need more/less than average isolation for your needs. For street use I'd minimum say ~-13dBr  (V-Moda M100) or so is needed if you're concerned about your hearing to use in busy street (obviously -15dBr+ would be ideal but that's roughly a minimum in my book).

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #8,618 of 11,286
Hey guys, i just ordered a pair of JVC HA-FX1X's yesterday, should be here on Thursday this week at the latest, hopefully tomorrow! I know burning in is very controversial,
so lets not start e-fights (lol)

but i would like to know if you guys think they would benefit from burning-in. I remember someone said they are great once burned in for like 400 hours, i think he meant 40 hours? Anyways, what do you guys think on the matter? Either way, ill be burning them in for a day or maybe two, no harm in trying it right. Ill also do a pre and post burn in review, will link to it.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #8,620 of 11,286
Hey guys, i just ordered a pair of JVC HA-FX1X's yesterday, should be here on Thursday this week at the latest, hopefully tomorrow! I know burning in is very controversial,
so lets not start e-fights (lol)

but i would like to know if you guys think they would benefit from burning-in. I remember someone said they are great once burned in for like 400 hours, i think he meant 40 hours? Anyways, what do you guys think on the matter? Either way, ill be burning them in for a day or maybe two, no harm in trying it right. Ill also do a pre and post burn in review, will link to it.

What're you planning on using to burn them in with? I have a link in a post I made in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/215556/pink-noise-works-wonders-for-burning-in/330

It's 20 mins long, It has volume changes, and 2 mins of silence so your drivers can get a break. I didn't make the original Pink Noise, but I made adjustments to it. I looped it for a week on my DT770vs way back when I still had those.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #8,622 of 11,286
What're you planning on using to burn them in with? I have a link in a post I made in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/215556/pink-noise-works-wonders-for-burning-in/330

It's 20 mins long, It has volume changes, and 2 mins of silence so your drivers can get a break. I didn't make the original Pink Noise, but I made adjustments to it. I looped it for a week on my DT770vs way back when I still had those.

Sounds like a good pink noise sample. I was planning on using pink noise and regular music i have on my ipod at maybe one level above normal volume level, i listen to my music kinda loud. I use an ipod touch 4g as my source, btw.
A WEEK! Why so long? How many days should i burn in mine? I dont want to leave them for a week and just stare at them as they make weird noises 
etysmile.gif

Here's a download link to the Pink Noise - Niagra w/ 1.5 minute silence track I made. It's 195 MB and 19:22 long. It has volume changes also, so keep it at moderate listening levels before playing the track. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7zp4qkeqdjaan0/Pink_Noise.wav

Is that the pink noise youre talking about? 

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #8,624 of 11,286
Sounds like a good pink noise sample. I was planning on using pink noise and regular music i have on my ipod at maybe one level above normal volume level, i listen to my music kinda loud. I use an ipod touch 4g as my source, btw.
A WEEK! Why so long? How many days should i burn in mine? I dont want to leave them for a week and just stare at them as they make weird noises :etysmile:

Is that the pink noise youre talking about? 

Yeah that's the one. I burned them during a long work week, I didn't have time to listen to music anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back