The Basshead Club
May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #6,346 of 11,286
Quote:
@MS1605

I have yet to try the M Audio Q40 but a couple of posts back it was talked about a lot. I'm assuming here it is better than your lp2? Nvr heard the lp2 but the M100 has serious thump and its also really a great can for the price!

For me Q40 is a lot better than LP2, I stopped using my LP2 after about 1 week. Too veiled highs and the bass bleeds a bit too much into the mids, probably the bass quantity is a bit too excessive.That having said the midbass especially in them thumped like crazy, drums for example had a very high impact. TBH though, LP2 is overpriced SQ wise, a more fair price would be 100~$125, SQ-wise alone I think it's worth ~$75 (A slightly improved XB500, same signature) but the nice build obviously raises the value. Q40 on the other hand I'd rate more like $150-200 SQ-wise subjectively.

May 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #6,347 of 11,286
So from what it sounds like, I may be better off keeping tbe ipod/e11/z02 setup and just get some
Q40s...

I guess I will keep the LP2s as my dedicated DJ headpbones, keep the JVCs IEMs for portability and just thow the TMA1s up for sale then cop a pair of the Q40s.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill be back with my opinion on the Q40s when I get them.

May 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #6,348 of 11,286
So from what it sounds like, I may be better off keeping tbe ipod/e11/z02 setup and just get some
Q40s...

I guess I will keep the LP2s as my dedicated DJ headpbones, keep the JVCs IEMs for portability and just thow the TMA1s up for sale then cop a pair of the Q40s.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill be back with my opinion on the Q40s when I get them.

My go to rig for quite some time was iDevice/E-11/ZO/Q40's.........love that combo and still do a variation of it with the C&C BK instead. Great portable basshead combo that flat thumps.

Check out the Q40 thread for tips on cable and ear pad upgrades.

May 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #6,350 of 11,286
I've got myself an XB1000 lately for shiggles. These things have alright bass, but I need more. Any recommendations?

Haven't heard the XB1000 but own the 700 and 500. It's rumored the 500 has the most bass but I think the 700 sounds best and has both sub and mid bass. Other than the Sony offerings, there's plenty of M-Audio Q-40 fans, myself included, as one of the premiere basshead cans. Then there's the Ultrasone Pro900, which thumps with any of the others, as do both my Denon cans (D2000 and D600).

Amping is also a key factor. What are you driving it with? Any amp currently?

May 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6,351 of 11,286
Look at
Anyway folks, do you think it's time to clean up the headphones recommendation list? This is from my list, which is referenced from Parall3l's post on the first page. I have added a few which I think are good basshead cans. If there are some headphones that you feel should be added to this list, please do share them with us! Remember, there is no such as thing as too much bass! :L3000:

Denon
D400

DN-HP700

DN-HP1000

D1001

D1100

D2000

D5000

D7000

Thanks for updating the list - i've quoted just the Denon's here because i'm interested if anyone has heard their "urban raver" line yet?

Many of the headphones listed here are no longer produced, and the only one's still listed on the Denon website are the D1100.

Urban Raver Series:
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productlanding.aspx?pcatid=headphones%28denonna%29&catid=urbanraver%28denonna%29

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone with a "large head". I wear glasses and I find the V-Moda Crossfade LP2s to be a bit uncomfortable, so I guess an upgrade to the M100 is out of the question since they are the same dimensions and the earcups appear to be the same size. :frowning2:

For now i'm happy with my DT770s but they are showing significant signs of wear (the top of the earpads are a bit sweat stained, the beyerdyanmic writing on the side of the cups is all but gone, sometimes they make a "crack" sound when i put them on or take them off, etc), Oh well, they still sound great. :D

They are easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever had, so does anyone know of headphones with similar earcup dimensions to the DT770s please?
[/quote
Look at my pic
Thanks for updating the list - i've quoted just the Denon's here because i'm interested if anyone has heard their "urban raver" line yet?

Many of the headphones listed here are no longer produced, and the only one's still listed on the Denon website are the D1100.

Urban Raver Series:
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productlanding.aspx?pcatid=headphones%28denonna%29&catid=urbanraver%28denonna%29

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone with a "large head". I wear glasses and I find the V-Moda Crossfade LP2s to be a bit uncomfortable, so I guess an upgrade to the M100 is out of the question since they are the same dimensions and the earcups appear to be the same size. :frowning2:

For now i'm happy with my DT770s but they are showing significant signs of wear (the top of the earpads are a bit sweat stained, the beyerdyanmic writing on the side of the cups is all but gone, sometimes they make a "crack" sound when i put them on or take them off, etc), Oh well, they still sound great. :D

They are easily the most comfortable headphones i've ever had, so does anyone know of headphones with similar earcup dimensions to the DT770s please?

The Denon D600 should be on the list in my opinion. And their comfort would make you forget your DT770's. I had the Beyers and have both the D600 and the D2000 and though the DT770 was plenty comfy, the Denons are just better in all ways to me.[/quopic look at my pics/posts I have a solution for your comfort issues with the vmodas... It might change your mind

May 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6,352 of 11,286
Quote:
Haven't heard the XB1000 but own the 700 and 500. It's rumored the 500 has the most bass but I think the 700 sounds best and has both sub and mid bass. Other than the Sony offerings, there's plenty of M-Audio Q-40 fans, myself included, as one of the premiere basshead cans. Then there's the Ultrasone Pro900, which thumps with any of the others, as do both my Denon cans (D2000 and D600).

Amping is also a key factor. What are you driving it with? Any amp currently?

Have heard or owned all those you mentioned at least once (except the D600). I won't be running any amplification for these just powered through my laptop when I'm on the go. So far the XB1000 has more bass than both the 500 and 700 from memory with a bit more detail clarity. I want a lot of mid-bass without sacrificing my sub-bass. So I want the bassiest headphone by stock with no amp required. So far my modded HD438 has the most mid-bass in a headphone I have ever heard, but it doesn't have much sub-bass rumble (at least until high driver distortion levels and rattling kicks in). 

May 18, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6,358 of 11,286
Quote:
Have heard or owned all those you mentioned at least once (except the D600). I won't be running any amplification for these just powered through my laptop when I'm on the go. So far the XB1000 has more bass than both the 500 and 700 from memory with a bit more detail clarity. I want a lot of mid-bass without sacrificing my sub-bass. So I want the bassiest headphone by stock with no amp required. So far my modded HD438 has the most mid-bass in a headphone I have ever heard, but it doesn't have much sub-bass rumble (at least until high driver distortion levels and rattling kicks in). 

Not to sound like an ass, but it's kinda impossible to get MOREBASS without an amp.  The XB1000 are basshead cans, good bass w/o being really muddy (like the xb500) however they are mostly sub bass. 
Iems will likely have the bass you want because they don't NEED an amp, and I honestly haven't heard a pair of cans I can listen to w/o one.

May 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #6,360 of 11,286
Someone asked about the Denon D400 Urban Raver.  I owned these briefly and couldn't have been more disappointed in their sound.  While I suppose they qualify as basshead cans, they are literally one of the worst sounding headphones I have heard at any price- muddy, veiled highs.  I have expressed this opinion in the past regarding these and have yet to have anyone come to their defense, so I'm assuming there is some consensus with these.  Of course, now that I mention this, 20 people will come forward to say how great they are
biggrin.gif

To add insult to injury, they are ridiculously overpriced. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back