The Basshead Club
Jan 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,306 of 11,286
Quote:
When double amping, be sure to use the LOD with the E11, then connect the ZO2 to the mini jack on the E11.

I was gonna PM you this as soon as my BH came in, but this answers it lol

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #4,308 of 11,286
Quote:
Thanks for all the help you guys! Where exactly would my next upgrade be once I have a pure silver lod and a pure silver 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect and the ZO2?

What's your source? 

Every DAP has a different digital-analogue chip (DAC) and some do it better than others. If you have an external amp, then getting a DAP with a powerful amp is redundant (unless you're trying to power orthos) but there's some pretty decent players out there with even more decent DACs built in. I have an iPod Touch G3 and I've come to understand that the Cirrus chip in it is like 95% of what some of the better Wolfson DACs can acheive, so I'm entirely happy with it

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #4,309 of 11,286
What's your source? 

Every DAP has a different digital-analogue chip (DAC) and some do it better than others. If you have an external amp, then getting a DAP with a powerful amp is redundant (unless you're trying to power orthos) but there's some pretty decent players out there with even more decent DACs built in. I have an iPod Touch G3 and I've come to understand that the Cirrus chip in it is like 95% of what some of the better Wolfson DACs can acheive, so I'm entirely happy with it
I have an iPod Classic 7th gen.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4,310 of 11,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iPod Classic 7th gen.

Look into it, I think the DAC in that gen of Classics is of lesser quality than the iPhone 4s (which TMU is a close second in terms of DAC quality only to the GS3 when it comes to smartphones used for media players, but not by a lot) for example.

Anyways I'm pretty sure Fiio has some affordable DACs. Personally if I ever felt the need to 'upgrade' my sound, I'd probably end up getting a new/better DAP than a nother peice to the chain

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4,312 of 11,286
Hm, true. Perhaps someone else can pipe in here, I'm not an expert on DACs or amps, but you may be right. I think unless you're using a USB LOD then you'll be using the internal DAC of the iPod, and not all DAC/amps offer that.

Ugh the Vamp/Verza is a love-hate thing for me. The functionality of it is so enticing, but the price makes me stay FAR away. I feel like I'd be better off with a GS3 and a decent portable amp for the same price.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,313 of 11,286
Quote:
Hm, true. Perhaps someone else can pipe in here, I'm not an expert on DACs or amps, but you may be right. I think unless you're using a USB LOD then you'll be using the internal DAC of the iPod, and not all DAC/amps offer that.

Ugh the Vamp/Verza is a love-hate thing for me. The functionality of it is so enticing, but the price makes me stay FAR away. I feel like I'd be better off with a GS3 and a decent portable amp for the same price.

Neither am I mate, but I would like to hear someone explain it.

I would never consider buying the VAMP, I don't want to be locked to my 4s because of it. Plus my 4s is a 16 GB. I'm interested in the Verza if I can get some serious upgrade in SQ from it. I kind of want to try double-amping it, or any other DAC/amp that bypasses my iPod's internal DAC with the ZO2.3. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,314 of 11,286
Yeah I was just trying to be helpful  witht he limited amount of DAC knowledge I have. As for the Vamp, I hate devices that are so specificly functional, I was more referring the the universal Verza lol. The Vamp is an expensive iPhone 4s sound upgrade and nothing else.

Might want to check out the CEntrance HiFi-M8, and add it to your short list with the Verza and HP-P1. Good luck though, let me know what you've found, I'm interested in your end results :)

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4,316 of 11,286
Yup, which is why I think would rather splurge on a DAP that does it all, like the ibasso dx100 or hifimans DAPs are pretty competent in the DAC department

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4,317 of 11,286
I wouldn't worry about upgrading the DAC if I were you. If you play songs that are in 44.1/16, you won't see any benefit of upgrading the DAC. Probably the best, most trouble-free method of upgrading your rig is to get a FiiO L9. It's an LOD cable for any Apple devices pre-IP5 (unless you have a lightning adapter), and it will allow you to achieve a pseudo-line-out from the device. It will be louder than the headphone out, but you will still be able to use various eq effects, which is a sign that the amp is still being used (hence, the word pseudo-line-out).

There's no way to achieve a true line-out on the iPod Classic. Well, I don't think there is. I remember seeing an iPod Classic with line out cable sticking out behind the player (they soldered the cable somewhere on the PCB to bypass the amp, I think), but that's just too much work, imo. You can also take a look at RockBoxing your iPod Classic. I'm not going to go through the reasons why because the link I gave you will describe everything for you. Personally, I think that it should be a requirement for anyone who has a Classic. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4,318 of 11,286
Quote:
Yup, which is why I think would rather splurge on a DAP that does it all, like the ibasso dx100 or hifimans DAPs are pretty competent in the DAC department

Agreed, although after getting a few more things, I may decide to get a home rig. Something like the Magni and Modi combo. I also want the HE-400, and I think that will be my next par of cans.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about upgrading the DAC if I were you. If you play songs that are in 44.1/16, you won't see any benefit of upgrading the DAC. Probably the best, most trouble-free method of upgrading your rig is to get a FiiO L9. It's an LOD cable for any Apple devices pre-IP5 (unless you have a lightning adapter), and it will allow you to achieve a pseudo-line-out from the device. It will be louder than the headphone out, but you will still be able to use various eq effects, which is a sign that the amp is still being used (hence, the word pseudo-line-out).

There's no way to achieve a true line-out on the iPod Classic. Well, I don't think there is. I remember seeing an iPod Classic with line out cable sticking out behind the player (they soldered the cable somewhere on the PCB to bypass the amp, I think), but that's just too much work, imo. You can also take a look at RockBoxing your iPod Classic. I'm not going to go through the reasons why because the link I gave you will describe everything for you. Personally, I think that it should be a requirement for anyone who has a Classic. 

I actually have the L9 already, I dislike that it does not lock into place, and it's kind of cheap so I am going to purchase a pure silver LOD in the next couple of days.  think I shall Rockbox my iPod, I just need to learn a little more about it. hanks for the tips!
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #4,319 of 11,286
if you had a 4/5/5.5 gen iPod video you could send it in for an iMod. They replace the DAC and re-route the line out to bypass the internal amp, and recase it so there's no hp out, just line out.

I dream of owning a Super iMod (home modded with a 240gb HDD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back