The Basshead Club
Oct 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #391 of 11,286

Quote:
You can still be here...just not with Grados on. 
wink.gif

+1

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #394 of 11,286

Quote:
looking through my list, I still have the Denon A100 Ltd Ed. That's ok for hanging around right? 
biggrin.gif

Speaking of your list, I noticed you have the AHA-120!! Sweet! I have the uHA-120..... How's the sound with the bigger Class A amp?

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #395 of 11,286
Another IEM for the list: Fischer Audio Consonance

See link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-202-iems-compared-fischer-audio-consonance-ultimate-ears-350-added-10-25-11/4560#post_7848045

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #397 of 11,286
When do you decide when you have enough bass?

Long rant below on my life story... skip to last paragraph for those not interested.

For me, I started my appreciation of audio with IEM's, going from V-Moda Vibes to Hippo VB's, both rather bass heavy phones (VB's especially). I really enjoyed dark, bassy sound and despite noticing how muffled everything sounded, I though 'bass quantity = good'. My first pair of cans, the XB500 was pretty much an extension of this, just moving from IEM's to actual headphones. 

A long while after this, I lurked Head-Fi, looking for headphones in the $150 range, and I was caught in the M50 hype train at full speed ahead (not that I regret getting caught). The M50's were certainly different from anything I've heard before. The bass was tighter and there was a feeling of satisfaction from each beat even though there was less quantity. I loved it and I listened to these for about a year in blissful ignorance.

Then I signed up on Head-Fi, got addicted, wanted half a dozen different headphones before buying a Ultrasone Pro 900 off a fellow Head-Fi'er because of some basshead can recommendations. The Pro 900 was again something different. The first song I listened to (Raise Your Weapon - Deadmau5) was some female vocals and the amount of treble extension kind of blew me away. Listening for the first time, the voice just got higher and higher and it was almost piercing before I got used to it. It got me hooked. The bass and larger soundstage were great too but the treble and smaller details really intrigued me. Bass was no longer a priority.

Maybe it's just a one off thing but I'm really wanting to get headphones that are more detailed and/or are treble focused. I feel that the Pro 900's have enough bass for me and I'm more interested in the highs and detailed sound. Is this the end of my bass addiction? Maybe yes, but I still do enjoy listening to the XB500's once in a while. Right now, I'm considering Grado/Alessandro's or AKG K701's as my next purchase, based on reviews I've read. Are these cans the sound I'm looking for? Also is this a natural change in sound preference?

Thanks for reading.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #399 of 11,286

Quote:
When do you decide when you have enough bass?

Long rant below on my life story... skip to last paragraph for those not interested.

For me, I started my appreciation of audio with IEM's, going from V-Moda Vibes to Hippo VB's, both rather bass heavy phones (VB's especially). I really enjoyed dark, bassy sound and despite noticing how muffled everything sounded, I though 'bass quantity = good'. My first pair of cans, the XB500 was pretty much an extension of this, just moving from IEM's to actual headphones. 

A long while after this, I lurked Head-Fi, looking for headphones in the $150 range, and I was caught in the M50 hype train at full speed ahead (not that I regret getting caught). The M50's were certainly different from anything I've heard before. The bass was tighter and there was a feeling of satisfaction from each beat even though there was less quantity. I loved it and I listened to these for about a year in blissful ignorance.

Then I signed up on Head-Fi, got addicted, wanted half a dozen different headphones before buying a Ultrasone Pro 900 off a fellow Head-Fi'er because of some basshead can recommendations. The Pro 900 was again something different. The first song I listened to (Raise Your Weapon - Deadmau5) was some female vocals and the amount of treble extension kind of blew me away. Listening for the first time, the voice just got higher and higher and it was almost piercing before I got used to it. It got me hooked. The bass and larger soundstage were great too but the treble and smaller details really intrigued me. Bass was no longer a priority.

Maybe it's just a one off thing but I'm really wanting to get headphones that are more detailed and/or are treble focused. I feel that the Pro 900's have enough bass for me and I'm more interested in the highs and detailed sound. Is this the end of my bass addiction? Maybe yes, but I still do enjoy listening to the XB500's once in a while. Right now, I'm considering Grado/Alessandro's or AKG K701's as my next purchase, based on reviews I've read. Are these cans the sound I'm looking for? Also is this a natural change in sound preference?

Thanks for reading.

Awesome post. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have the Pro 900's too! My headphone/IEM journey has been quite similar, having owned the Vibes, and many other bassy earphones.... but just like you experienced, the more things I tried out and heard good aspects in the rest of the range, the more I started demanding competence in the other areas too. I remember hearing solid treble presence for the first time, and most recently highly lifelike and natural mids. Now that I've heard all of those qualities, I don't want to settle for anything being compromised. I guess I want it all...  
biggrin.gif
  But I'd say that highly extended, deep, yet quick and textured bass remains my favorite sonic characteristic. So yeah, I'm still a basshead at heart. 

If you ever decide to go the customs route, be sure to read up on the FutureSonics MG6Pro.  
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back