The Basshead Club
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #3,706 of 11,286
Quote:
Im returning my zo2, turns out, if you have an android phone and download an app like equalizer or power amp and turn the bass all the way up, it gives the same effect! ? Waste of 100

I'm glad I don't have your ears. :)

EDIT: Or maybe the opposite, then I could settle for a pair of XB500 headphones and don't have any desire to upgrade! My wallet would also thank me. :p

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #3,708 of 11,286
If you are deciding between ZO and E11, don't......get both!

I already own and E11 and received my ZO 2.3 today.  I tried various combinations.  ZO through the headphone jack doesn't provide enough volume.  With the line out, I don't have bass adjustment although it is louder and overall SQ could be better.  When I combine the E11 through line out with the ZO and my M-100.......OMG!  This combination provides all the volume I can handle with all the bass I can handle and provides superior imaging and detail compared to the ZO alone. 

When doing this, make sure bass is not boosted on the E11 and volume is down.  Also, start with lower bass on the ZO and work your way up.  I  pushed my M-100 drivers to distortion levels.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,709 of 11,286
Nice Craigster! Are you using the ZO on high gain though? It should give you enough volume FWIR, especially with something easy to drive like the M100. High gain is pink on the light bar (hold the switch up a long time)

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,710 of 11,286
I find EQu kills my battery on my iPod touch, so I only use it when commuting, but the ZO will be great cuz it has it's own battery. I suspect the Android app will also be battery hungry. I wouldn't want my PHONE to die just because I want to EQ my music. That's always been my logic for why I don't use my smartphone for music. They're already power hungry enough.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3,712 of 11,286
Quote:
Nice Craigster! Are you using the ZO on high gain though? It should give you enough volume FWIR, especially with something easy to drive like the M100. High gain is pink on the light bar (hold the switch up a long time)

I thought high gain only operates with the line out function?  I can try that, but I believe the SQ is much better through E11.  One would think double-amping would degrade sound quality, but with ZO, I find that is not the case.  Also, I just ordered Vamp from Amazon for $180 ($200 - 10% coupon)!  I can't wait to try Vamp + ZO!

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3,714 of 11,286
I thought high gain only operates with the line out function?  I can try that, but I believe the SQ is much better through E11.  One would think double-amping would degrade sound quality, but with ZO, I find that is not the case.  Also, I just ordered Vamp from Amazon for $180 ($200 - 10% coupon)!  I can't wait to try Vamp + ZO!

High gain is meant for HO and Low gain is meant for LOD

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,715 of 11,286
Quote:

Yes, SQ is much better through E11. But both (dual amped) are spectacular bass-wise. Althought the ZO2 will cut a on micro-detail as you'll notice if you A/B. I have sold mine because of that. I have choosen SQ over bass.

And Craigster, now imagine a JDS C421 over an E11 (I got to tell you it's a big step up).
wink.gif
Or dual amp the E11 + C421.
L3000.gif
Or even better, 2 C421's.
atsmile.gif
Forget the ZO, you got a M-100, you deserve better than that. ; ) You got to try the C421 pal, it's so clean and transparent and powerful.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3,716 of 11,286
Quote:
I find EQu kills my battery on my iPod touch, so I only use it when commuting, but the ZO will be great cuz it has it's own battery. I suspect the Android app will also be battery hungry. I wouldn't want my PHONE to die just because I want to EQ my music. That's always been my logic for why I don't use my smartphone for music. They're already power hungry enough.

i just found my old ipod classic and im contemplating wheter or not i should start using it again - because of my (crapy)phones (crapy) battery. but using your smartphone is just so simple and easy... your carrying it around with you anyway - why NOT have your music on it too... 

Quote:

Yes, SQ is much better through E11. But both (dual amped) are spectacular bass-wise. Althought the ZO2 will cut a on micro-detail as you'll notice if you A/B. I have sold mine because of that. I have choosen SQ over bass.

And Craigster, now imagine a JDS C421 over an E11 (I got to tell you it's a big step up).
wink.gif
Or dual amp the E11 + C421.
L3000.gif
Or even better, 2 C421's.
atsmile.gif
Forget the ZO, you got a M-100, you deserve better than that. ; ) You got to try the C421 pal, it's so clean and transparent and powerful.

really? the c421 is small enough to be carried around in ones pocket like the e11?

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,718 of 11,286
Quote:

At least give HO + ZO "high gain" (pink led) a try. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #3,719 of 11,286
I did it. I greatly increased the soundstage of the Pro700MKII. There is more separation, especially in the midrange. It doesn't sound congested at all. The bass response is greater, and has more finesse.The midrange is so lush. It sounds more natural. This isn't a placebo effect. 

I have converted my Pro700MKII into an open headphone. I'm not finished with it yet. I have to figure out how to cut the back of the headphones out, and I haven't done the other side yet. Maybe you guys can help me out.

You see all of those holes? All of them were covered except for two of them. I had to use a razor blade to cut them out. I almost punctured the driver...good thing I have steady hands

This is the semi-open headphone enclosure. The four oval things are actually vents. When everything is screwed in, there is still an increase in soundstage, but when I wear the headphones like this:

There is an even larger soundstage, and it sounds more "free" than with the headphone enclosure over it. I'm thinking that if I get some headphones like the AD-900 I can transplant the drivers.

So, I need to find out a way to cut a hole in the headphone and put some mesh-like material over the hole. Any thoughts?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,720 of 11,286
Quote:

The latest version of EQu (which I downloaded yesterday) promises "improved battery life" - let's see whether that's true or not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back