The Audiophile Headphone Aesthetic (and new Denon lineup)
Jun 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, have there ever been and high quality headphones that come in any color that isn't black/white/silver? Like, there's a Beats ad that I've seen that's something like "pick your color" and they show something like 16 different colors that you can get. I don't think they're great headphones, but honestly it's just a matter of coloring the plastic - why don't other manufacturers follow?
The only examples I can think of are the lime green AKG Q series, and a few Ultrasone models that are blue or brown. But where's awesome cans that are purple? Or red? Or orange? Or pink? Really.

Beyer allows you to "customize" some of their cans, and Senn's HD598 has a cream and red color scheme.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
I'm using the HD800 as an example because I think they look hideous. I would never buy them, even though I think they sound absolutely breathtaking. They've got a beautiful sound that puts all of my headphones to shame.

But, of course, I don't have any headphones in the price bracket. I've also head the LCD-3 and was absolutely blown away. When push comes to shove, yeah I want style. I want them to look good. Not for everyone else (ie why Beats are popular), but for me. Myself. I want to admire them every time I go to put them on.

It's actually really funny to me that you say that, because personally, I love the way the Sennheiser HD800s look, whereas I find the Audeze headphones not only don't look that good, but are horrendously uncomfortable due to their weight and clamping force.  Anyway, I seem to be in a minority on this front, and I will admit that I was rather blown away by the sound of both sets of Audeze headphones (the LCD 2 and 3s) at the recent New York headfi meet, to the point that I would probably consider them if I had the money and if they weren't so darned heavy on the head.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 29
My main problem with the new Denons is the stitching on the ear cups. That looks super tacky, IMO. I'm a sound first guy, and I can't say I'd rule out those headphones d/t just the aesthetics, but I probably wouldn't leave the house with them. 

Even though I'm a Grado guy first in terms of sonics, I am pretty infatuated with both the build quality and the looks of my T1s. I just think these are fantastic looking headphones, especially on the custom stand by Larry Dale of Headphile :)

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:
Even though I'm a Grado guy first in terms of sonics, I am pretty infatuated with both the build quality and the looks of my T1s. I just think these are fantastic looking headphones, especially on the custom stand by Larry Dale of Headphile :)

I agree 100% (except I probably prefer the T1 sonically to any Grado I have ever heard).  The T1s are awesome looking, sounding and feeling.  I have been considering getting myself a pair.  Do the T1s leak much sound, being semi-open in their design?

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

I agree 100% (except I probably prefer the T1 sonically to any Grado I have ever heard).  The T1s are awesome looking, sounding and feeling.  I have been considering getting myself a pair.  Do the T1s leak much sound, being semi-open in their design?

Yes, Grados tend to be very polarizing. I don't know what it is about them, they just speak to me...the T1s are a superior headphone technically, I don't think there's much argument about that. I don't know if you're in the market for an amp, as well, but Jan Meier has an excellent package deal with the T1s and any of his amps or his DAC. 

With regard to leakage, they seem to be quite well contained. I'd say they're closer to a closed headphone in that regard. The level of comfort, to me, is absolutely first rate, as well. I've never personally had an issue with Grado comfort, but I have to admit that putting the T1s on my head is taking things to a new level over the Grados.  I like to have a variety of headphones around, but the T1s will be with me permanently. They are a fantastic all-around pair and I'm in love with their signature, particularly the low end. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #22 of 29
Certainly, I find some headphones more aesthetically appealing than others but it's not a factor in choosing what I'd wear.  I normally just take IEMs for portable use because they're convenient. My full sized headphones stay at home.

So... anyone else like round earcups? I never really thought the old Denons stood out and the new design seems pretty average to me as well.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #23 of 29
Team Utilitarian here. Love headphones designed to look like they have a job to do! Because of that, I find the Beyer DT48's to be some of the most beautiful headphones out there.

Same with the DT770 Pro's, too. And the Sony MDR-V6/7506/CD900ST's are pretty awersome looking, as well.

Of course I don't judge a headphone solely on design. It's a good thing for me that most studio-type headphones are my kind of sound!

Oh, and the Pioneer Monitor 10's.

I'd love to own a pair one day.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:
So far "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" seems to be the prevailing opinion about headphone appearance among us headfiers...any more thoughts?

You forget that more than 50% of head-fier care of the look, it's just that the percentages is divided in the many design option you gave.

For me, top of design is the old denon d7000, and the worst, the new d7100. I  didn't get the srh840, but the srh940 instead , because I   found the srh840 ugly.  I  like the monster beats , not because it's a "rapper style", but because it is minimalistic.
I don't like the hd800 design,  but somehow get used to it. I  would have liked a headphone more robust "comestically".
The bower wilkin p5 seems cool, but unfortunately doesn't  sound  good enough for the price (from the feedback).
The hd25 II 1 design sucks, including the adidas, but I  can forget it, thanks to the above average built quality.
The amperior doesn't look significantly better to me.
Ah the skullcandy aviator have a design that is meh, and cheap built quality.
The audeze looks old-fashioned and tasteless to me (bulky heavy wood cups, meh)
I love how the srh1840 looks, minimalistic design , and very functional, at least much more than the hd800.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
You forget that more than 50% of head-fier care of the look, it's just that the percentages is divided in the many design option you gave.

At the time when I made my comment, the "don't care about appearance" had just over 50% of the votes.  I'm glad that isn't the case anymore, however, since I think appearance should be important, just not the most important factor, in the design of a headphone.  I share most, if not all, of your aesthetic sensibilities in this most recent post (except I still think the HD 800 is under appreciated as far as cool futuristic design).

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

At the time when I made my comment, the "don't care about appearance" had just over 50% of the votes.  I'm glad that isn't the case anymore, however, since I think appearance should be important, just not the most important factor, in the design of a headphone.  I share most, if not all, of your aesthetic sensibilities in this most recent post (except I still think the HD 800 is under appreciated as far as cool futuristic design).

Why do I see 34 % ? (total: 44 votes, and only 15 that don't care of appearance).

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 29
I don't really care how they look if there not going to be used outside my home.  But as far what I find the most aesthetically pleasing I really like the look of woods headphones especially those that have shiny finish of them like Audio Technica higher end closed headphones.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
I don't really care how they look if there not going to be used outside my home.  But as far what I find the most aesthetically pleasing I really like the look of woods headphones especially those that have shiny finish of them like Audio Technica higher end closed headphones.

Great point...I've become a big fan of Larry Dale at Headphile and he does some amazing work with wood for headphone mods. It makes the headphones look more like art work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back