The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jan 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,411 of 1,853

I just recently switched from an iPod Classic to an X5. I love the additional detail and more accurate bass but the overall 'warmth' seems to have taken a big hit. I'm not a huge fan of the X5 by itself so far.

I'm looking for an amp and the E12 seems to come up quite a bit as a great pairing for bassheads. Although I've seen some discussion about the original units having a better sub bass boost compared to the newer ones. Can anyone comment on the difference?

From my experience, I found the E12 to basically give more power and a tiny bump in the bass if you turn the bass switch on. If you have bassy headphones then it will provide more bass, and also provide power to all other ends of the spectrum. It is for this reason I decided to get rid of my E12 when I got my 990s. This will simply provide more power and offer a slight bump in bass. For my Electrowaves, it helped push the bass further to where it was actually pushing out air. For my 990s it was not really helping the bass. Depending on what you have and what you want it may work well, or it may not.

Other than that, it is a very high quality amp, an excellent all arounder.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,412 of 1,853

I just recently switched from an iPod Classic to an X5. I love the additional detail and more accurate bass but the overall 'warmth' seems to have taken a big hit. I'm not a huge fan of the X5 by itself so far.

I'm looking for an amp and the E12 seems to come up quite a bit as a great pairing for bassheads. Although I've seen some discussion about the original units having a better sub bass boost compared to the newer ones. Can anyone comment on the difference?

From my experience, I found the E12 to basically give more power and a tiny bump in the bass if you turn the bass switch on. If you have bassy headphones then it will provide more bass, and also provide power to all other ends of the spectrum. It is for this reason I decided to get rid of my E12 when I got my 990s. This will simply provide more power and offer a slight bump in bass. For my Electrowaves, it helped push the bass further to where it was actually pushing out air. For my 990s it was not really helping the bass. Depending on what you have and what you want it may work well, or it may not.

Other than that, it is a very high quality amp, an excellent all arounder.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. I've been listening to a DT770 Pro 80 ohm for years and just recently got a Philips X1. I have a Hifiman HE-400 on the way as well. Looking for an amp that will give me a clean, deep bass bump without making it overly boomy. Also reading great things about the Cayin C5.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,413 of 1,853
Does anyone know what the mW power output / channel is for the Arrow 3G 4G 5G based amps?  Looking at the specs published by Headstage, most of them do not list the mW power output.

Also, how do the current 5G series (I believe there are 3 out or soon to be out) compare in sound quality, sound stage, and bass extension to the 3G (famous in this thread for their powerful bass
biggrin.gif
)?

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,414 of 1,853
I've had the fortune of using the dt770/80 and X1 to fufill my base needs while using spotify for music discovery. Over the holidays, I purchased a cheap iem, the Narmoo S1, not really expecting much. I must say, I enjoy the overall bass and sq as much as my full size headphones.

These dual dynamics have a great punch/rumble to them yet don't overpower the whole spectrum. The upfront sound gives energy the music that's exciting.

I'm using a rockboxed fuze+ and c&c bh2 amp. Tailoring the sound with EQ is easy with rockbox and the c&c has bass boost if I ever feel the need for more kick.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,416 of 1,853
I've had the fortune of using the dt770/80 and X1 to fufill my base needs while using spotify for music discovery. Over the holidays, I purchased a cheap iem, the Narmoo S1, not really expecting much. I must say, I enjoy the overall bass and sq as much as my full size headphones.

These dual dynamics have a great punch/rumble to them yet don't overpower the whole spectrum. The upfront sound gives energy the music that's exciting.

I'm using a rockboxed fuze+ and c&c bh2 amp. Tailoring the sound with EQ is easy with rockbox and the c&c has bass boost if I ever feel the need for more kick.

Have you integrated Equalify with Spotify yet? It is free and adds a nice EQ with a nice bass kick to Spotify.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,420 of 1,853
  Has anyone played with any gear from the company House of Marley?

Yeah, I've had a few of them... one was decent (Exodus), the other was one of my worst purchases ever (Rise Up). Neither of them had enough bass to satisfy us... wanted to try others but after the experience with the Rise Up and their warm-ish sound, I kind of don't want to spend my money on them...

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,421 of 1,853
Once again guys.

I HAVE to promote the Hippo VBs

This is my 2nd pair (replacement; lost the first)

I literally just got them (today) and out of the box they are tight!

Although the CK77s are nice and I am still going through the breakthrough stage

These just sound better IMHO. and NO! I don't work for Hippo or Jaben 

Tighter bass, Mids/Hi are full.  Even supplementary channels are clear (didn't even notice some parts of songs with the other buds)

I am quite sure there are better buds but for the <$100 group I am putting these first

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,422 of 1,853
I remember when I first joined Head-Fi, the basshead in me was strong. I was always staring at Sony XB1000 like a dream that would never happen.

Today, something happened....

I'll report in once they arrive (just for fun) 
wink_face.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #1,423 of 1,853
  I remember when I first joined Head-Fi, the basshead in me was strong. I was always staring at Sony XB1000 like a dream that would never happen.

Today, something happened....
[hell no]
I'll report in once they arrive (just for fun) 
wink_face.gif

eek.gif

Gibe pls.
(Did you buy them off ebay for $500?)
Also, I read in a post somewhere that you can mod them by removing the tape(?) from the back of the drivers as well as the dampening material(?) from the vents. Apparently they really improve when you do this.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,424 of 1,853

eek.gif

Gibe pls.
(Did you buy them off ebay for $500?)
Also, I read in a post somewhere that you can mod them by removing the tape(?) from the back of the drivers as well as the dampening material(?) from the vents.  Apparently they really improve when you do this.

I woke up this morning reading my emails, hadn't even had my first coffee, went to eBay checking on a few things and there they were for a very good price.

(though I'm aware what's left of XB1000 is $599 USD on amazon, that's $744 AUD)

I'm not even a true basshead anymore, this is just for old times sake..
wink_face.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #1,425 of 1,853

I woke up this morning reading my emails, hadn't even had my first coffee, went to eBay checking on a few things and there they were for a very good price.

(though I'm aware what's left of XB1000 is $599 USD on amazon, that's $744 AUD)

I'm not even a true basshead anymore, this is just for old times sake..
wink_face.gif

How good?
The last time I saw them was from Secondipity a few months ago for $199.  I didn't snatch them up because I'm not that much of a basshead and didn't exactly have too much money to spend.  
frown.gif
 I truly regret my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back