The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Nov 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,096 of 1,853
They aren't competing threads - and never were. Two different threads, to serve two different purposes. We live in harmony!

This thread is for all things bass. 

L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,097 of 1,853
BTW - Mad dog 3.2 with the "Doggie treats" mods =  Planar magnetic basshead cans!

I've recently acquired a new toy, a hardware desktop EQ, that is an absolute must-have for bassheads.

Video review coming soon, hopefully. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,099 of 1,853
  What, the one with the supposed top 10 list of head-mounted subwoofers?
No thanks, I'm not stepping foot there no more. The ABL is still a great place anyway. 
biggrin.gif

They aren't competing threads - and never were. Two different threads, to serve two different purposes. We live in harmony!

L3000.gif

Pff they are competeing for my attention xD I want to spend more time HERE but the "head mounted sub woofer" guys are just so chatt, nah I like both parties 

BTW - Mad dog 3.2 with the "Doggie treats" mods =  Planar magnetic basshead cans!

I've recently acquired a new toy, a hardware desktop EQ, that is an absolute must-have for bassheads.

Video review coming soon, hopefully. 

Oh gawd yes hardware EQ... "ear boner" 

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,100 of 1,853

L3000.gif

Speaking of which, I'd like to ass a couple additions to the list -- namely, the Brainwavz S5 and S0. The S5 is raw basshead material (I have a review link in my sig), while the S0 is smoother, but still basshead-friendly.

beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,101 of 1,853

Which one? How do you connect it? Are you happy with it? 

I've been thinkering about picking one up. But more for tweaking overall balance of the headphone making headphone purchasing much easier since not the WHOLE part of the frequency range have to be according to your preferences which seems not happen often, well to me anyway. There's always some quirks.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #1,102 of 1,853
  Speaking of which, I'd like to ass a couple additions to the list -- namely, the Brainwavz S5 and S0. The S5 is raw basshead material (I have a review link in my sig), while the S0 is smoother, but still basshead-friendly.

beerchug.gif

I'll add them to the list tomorrow - cheers buddy!

Which one? How do you connect it? Are you happy with it? 

Still working on the chain, it's turning into an absolute monster.

It's a Behringer UltraCurve DEQ2496. It's seriously amazing. All digital interface, perfectly precise EQ, digital interface on a hardware EQ. Balanced in/out, analogue out, optical in/out.

At the moment I'm running DAC --> EQ --> FiiO E18. I'm buying a better balanced amp this week to be able to test and run it all properly, so hopefully I'll have a video review of the unit available by the end of the week.

I managed to snag the EQ very cheap. But yeah, even with a mere E18 providing the amplification, it's the best bass-head device I've purchased to date. It's so specific and precise. 

I'm trying to find ways to save presets (I know it can be done) so that I can have varying bass levels for various cans.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,104 of 1,853

Still working on the chain, it's turning into an absolute monster.

It's a Behringer UltraCurve DEQ2496. It's seriously amazing. All digital interface, perfectly precise EQ, digital interface on a hardware EQ. Balanced in/out, analogue out, optical in/out.

At the moment I'm running DAC --> EQ --> FiiO E18. I'm buying a better balanced amp this week to be able to test and run it all properly, so hopefully I'll have a video review of the unit available by the end of the week.

I managed to snag the EQ very cheap. But yeah, even with a mere E18 providing the amplification, it's the best bass-head device I've purchased to date. It's so specific and precise. 

I'm trying to find ways to save presets (I know it can be done) so that I can have varying bass levels for various cans.

Cool to hear! I've also been eyeing this one. The only bad thing I've read about it is that it tends to overheat sometimes and that is the most typical RMA reason. Since I'm the person who keeps listening the whole day I'm a bit worried. :p

Also how do you connect it to the E18? I assume you use some converter cables? I won't let go of my digiZoid ZO amp so will have to connect it by 3.5 mm stereo somehow with some converter cables I assume. And I've read audiophiles state the EQ may not have the most impressive analog out exactly and use it mostly connected digitally so that is a bit worrisome.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,105 of 1,853
Any other audiophile bass members own the Sony Z7?

Definitely a candidate for this club. Not an extreme can but very very good, on par with the Denon's.

Have them for three weeks now and they continue to impress me.

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,106 of 1,853
Analogue out sounds fine to me. To be honest, I found very few reviews from an Audiophile perspective. I'd be happy to do a decent one, and take one for the team.

Anyway,

It doesn't heat up anywhere near the same as my valve amp does.

I'll leave it on for a few days during the week to see if overheating is truly an issue. 

To plug it into the FiiO E18, I a cable with these same connections (but the cable is from a different manufacturer):

The two mono jack leads going into the two Aux outputs on the rear of the EQ:

And the 3.5 going into the E18.

Here is a short video (not mine) demonstrating some of the different types of metering on the unit:

But yeah, the actual eqing is pretty rad. Very accurate. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,107 of 1,853

Definitely a candidate for this club. Not an extreme can but very very good, on par with the Denon's.

Ehh, was kind of let down by Currawing's review of them. I was actually really looking into them as I love my 70mm Sony MA900's, so I thought that if they make a closed can with the same driver size it would be perfect.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,108 of 1,853

Analogue out sounds fine to me. To be honest, I found very few reviews from an Audiophile perspective. I'd be happy to do a decent one, and take one for the team.

Anyway,

It doesn't heat up anywhere near the same as my valve amp does.

I'll leave it on for a few days during the week to see if overheating is truly an issue. 

To plug it into the FiiO E18, I a cable with these same connections (but the cable is from a different manufacturer):

OK that's good to hear and yea I'm particularly interested in this EQ due to its interface and gobs of features, doesn't hurt to have a hardware compressor & limiter and stereo image processor besides very accurate 31 band EQ. :)

EDIT: Is that AUX 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm? I have already another kind of aux to stereo 3.5 cable but this seems to be same size as the 6.3 mm stereo connector. Connectivity isn't my strong sides, since I have never dealt with bunch of highend or studio equipment etc.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,109 of 1,853

Browsing around this forum a bit more recently.
How do the Z7 compare with the old Denon line up & sound?

Like i need Bass that has no bottom like the D2000s & something that can handle high volume level. I sometimes go beyond 12 o'clock on the Magni / Denon D2000s with quite heavy Bass EQ. I heard cans like the M 100s do start distorting. The thing is i also like the fresh treble the D2000s do deliver.

Those Z7s look sexy, i love the design. Really sweet :)

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,110 of 1,853
Ehh, was kind of let down by Currawing's review of them. I was actually really looking into them as I love my 70mm Sony MA900's, so I thought that if they make a closed can with the same driver size it would be perfect.

Browsing around this forum a bit more recently.
How do the Z7 compare with the old Denon line up & sound?

Like i need Bass that has no bottom like the D2000s & something that can handle high volume level. I sometimes go beyond 12 o'clock on the Magni / Denon D2000s with quite heavy Bass EQ. I heard cans like the M 100s do start distorting. The thing is i also like the fresh treble the D2000s do deliver.

Those Z7s look sexy, i love the design. Really sweet :)

So keep in mind that one review, even by a pro like Currawong, is not the end all be all.  Nor is one from me................who happens to love the Z7.

It is so close to the Denon D5000 and my D7000 that it's in a way redundant for me to keep them.  But.............keep them I shall.  They have incredible comfort - probably the best I've even tried - and are so light with pads that are as good as Alpha pads.  Top it off with build quality second to none - and I'm considering trying a bit of Dynamat in the plastic cups and see what it does. 

The bass is not bloated to me (been listening out of either my vintage stuff or a Digizoid ZO3) at all but as with the Denon's I can't help but wonder.  I remember how good it made my D7000 after Lawton did his magic - went from good to great.  So I'll try the damping when I get a chance. 

Just my opinion but I could find no weakness.  There are very polarizing opinions over on the Z7 thread so as always, YMMV.  Best to try them yourself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back