The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Sep 25, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,051 of 1,853
After reading all 70 pages of this thread, I've almost settled on the Audeze LCD-2. But I'm gun shy after my 1st high-end headphone purchase, which proved to be a disappointment. I bought the Beyerdynamic T90, which, to my ears, had no bass whatsoever, even when EQ'd.

I'll be using them for 100% Spotify Premium listening. They will be connected to my desktop computer via a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp and a Schiit Modi DAC. 

My tastes run to jazz funk and funk revival (funk era Herbie Hancock, James Brown, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, etc). I love the itchy feeling in your eardrums when they're stimulated by some lovely sub-bass. I like to feel bass much as hear it.

For those of you who own or have listened to the LCD-2, do you think I'll be able to experience that with them?

Also, will the Asgard 2 be sufficient to drive the LCD-2?

I also considered the Ultrasone Pro 900, but sibilance hurts my ears, and it sounds like those would be rough for me.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,052 of 1,853
  After reading all 70 pages of this thread, I've almost settled on the Audeze LCD-2. But I'm gun shy after my 1st high-end headphone purchase, which proved to be a disappointment. I bought the Beyerdynamic T90, which, to my ears, had no bass whatsoever, even when EQ'd.

I'll be using them for 100% Spotify Premium listening. They will be connected to my desktop computer via a Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp and a Schiit Modi DAC. 

My tastes run to jazz funk and funk revival (funk era Herbie Hancock, James Brown, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, etc). I love the itchy feeling in your eardrums when they're stimulated by some lovely sub-bass. I like to feel bass much as hear it.

For those of you who own or have listened to the LCD-2, do you think I'll be able to experience that with them?

Also, will the Asgard 2 be sufficient to drive the LCD-2?

I also considered the Ultrasone Pro 900, but sibilance hurts my ears, and it sounds like those would be rough for me.

Planars don't typically have the same kick as a dynamic driver, so you may not get that "itchy feeling in your eardrums" that you like. You might wanna get a Denon x000 for that. I'm not knocking Audeze cans, but they just don't feel the same in the bass as the dynamic driver Denon.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,053 of 1,853
Planars don't typically have the same kick as a dynamic driver, so you may not get that "itchy feeling in your eardrums" that you like. You might wanna get a Denon x000 for that. I'm not knocking Audeze cans, but they just don't feel the same in the bass as the dynamic driver Denon.

Actually man, I heard a LCD 2 non-fazor last week and it slammed so effing hard I couldn't believe it. I was at a meet and heard 2 pairs of them and they were great, I never expected them to have bass like that considering they're supposed to be extremely neutral.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,054 of 1,853
Good to know. I'm more interested in the non-Fazor'd version myself, so this has reinforced my desire to own one. Haha. How is the sub bass though? That's mostly what my response was for. I know I was able to get some pretty good slam outta my XC when I had it. I think I even mentioned to you how it was hitting like a dynamic driver, but I still kept the D2k over the XC for the more fun sub bass.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,055 of 1,853
LCD-2F has more subbass then XC, so I guess the pre-fazors have even more.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,057 of 1,853
There are people claiming, that the fazors have a slight dip in the subbass. I only tested the 2F and didn't miss any subbass, but there are other who auditioned both versions and apparently they heard (felt?) the difference in the lowest bass.

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,058 of 1,853
  There are people claiming, that the fazors have a slight dip in the subbass.

Each Audeze can comes with an individual frequency response chart, and these confirm the dip as well.

+1 to the LCD 2.2 pre fazor, best audiophile bass I've ever heard.

Huge drivers, too. Loves to be EQ'd into a monster.

Highly recommended. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #1,059 of 1,853
Just got my Q40 in the mail..

L3000.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #1,061 of 1,853
These sound really good man. The mids are decent and the treble isn't too sharp. The bass is awesome. I was thinking man these sound good with my E12's bass boost, but what do they sound like with it off and then....

The bass boost wasn't even on!

Shure 840 pads.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,062 of 1,853
  These sound really good man. The mids are decent and the treble isn't too sharp. The bass is awesome. I was thinking man these sound good with my E12's bass boost, but what do they sound like with it off and then....

The bass boost wasn't even on!

Shure 840 pads.

lol

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,063 of 1,853
Just got my Q40 in the mail..

:L3000:

I've swapped pads around a dozen times on my Q40. 840 pads are one of the better ones. Alphas and the HM-5 deep version are the best to my ears and comfort. I'm using the deep HM -5 pads now. Best yet.

Congrats.........that can still is the best I have for value and that's not a backhanded compliment. I listen to them regularly as my outside yard work can and no drop off coming from the Denon harem I have.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,064 of 1,853
Great value, Ha! I need a better word. How about amazing effing value, I got them for $40 here in the classifieds! My messages said, "Dibs!"

I'll try the HM5 pads on them later on. Thanks for the tip!

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,065 of 1,853
Great value, Ha! I need a better word. How about amazing effing value, I got them for $40 here in the classifieds! My messages said, "Dibs!"

I'll try the HM5 pads on them later on. Thanks for the tip!

Make sure you get the extra deep version that just came out a couple of months ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back