The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,036 of 1,853
Does anyone know how the senn hd6 mix differs from the hd8 DJ, in terms of sound signature? I am thinking of getting one of them and I was wondering if it is worth spending more on the hd8s or save on the hd6s.

This might help.

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,038 of 1,853
  Pro 900 has always been my favorite EDM headphone. (and check my page, I have owned a great many at this point!) You could try a Pro 750 if you could find one cheaper. They are fairly similar in sound sig. Thing with Ultrasones is that they have a very tight hard hitting impactful bass (when amped decently), which in my opinion, makes EDM a joy to listen to. If impact is what you desire, and a shimmery-sparkly top end, ultrasone will be your friend. It makes music very engaging and exciting.

Some are sensitive to the treble, but others (like me) are not. This is the case for many other cans. I have noticed positioning matters with the Ultrasone, I have my ears toward the back of the earcups. If I move my ears closer to the front, the treble becomes icky and harsh. I think this is what people notice when they try these quickly and don't learn how to wear them better. I automatically put them on perfect now, it's not like it takes effort, but in the beginning it is something to know about them.

I agree. The Pro 900 is a very good basshead can for EDM. Nice treble detail and good, hard hitting bass makes for an engaging and thoroughly fun can for most genres of dance music (e.g trance, techno, hardstyle). The midrange suffers as a result of its extension at both ends, but it's just fine for such music, since vocals are less prominent or even non-existent in most EDM tracks.

Nevertheless, unlike you, I am quite sensitive to sibilance, so I tend to attenuate the highs, so as to prevent any unwanted sibilance from my Ultrasone cans (Pro 900 & HFI 580).

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,039 of 1,853

I agree. The Pro 900 is a very good basshead can for EDM.

This might be just what I'm looking for since I listen to EDM almost exclusively.
However I'm worried about the comfort since my previous experience with Ultrasone cans left a bad taste in my mouth.
I bought HFI-580s and found their cups too shallow and my ears ended up rubbing the metal insides making them hurt after a while. It would not be a problem if the cups had something more than a thin cloth mesh in them.
So how are the cups in Pro 900s? Are they just as shallow as the HFI-580 cups? Is the inside covered by something more than a thin cloth mesh?

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,040 of 1,853
The Pro900 is comfy stock with velour pads. I kicked it up a notch or two by putting on Alpha pads and the Sennheiser HD 650 headband pad.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,042 of 1,853

This might be just what I'm looking for since I listen to EDM almost exclusively.
However I'm worried about the comfort since my previous experience with Ultrasone cans left a bad taste in my mouth.
I bought HFI-580s and found their cups too shallow and my ears ended up rubbing the metal insides making them hurt after a while. It would not be a problem if the cups had something more than a thin cloth mesh in them.
So how are the cups in Pro 900s? Are they just as shallow as the HFI-580 cups? Is the inside covered by something more than a thin cloth mesh?

The PRO 900 pads are a little thicker than those on the HFI 580s. There is also a slightly raised groove where the pads attach to the headphones themselves, lending an extra few mm of depth. All in all, the PRO 900 is a more comfortable headphone for extended listening, with cushy and slightly deeper pads.

With that said, both cups feature the same thin cloth mesh. You can see the comparison in the pictures below.

Hope this helps.

Size of the cups from the side.

The same thin mesh appears on both pads.

The small groove on the PRO 900 (right) can be seen.

Sep 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #1,043 of 1,853

I'm not too concerned with the pads. Even though the HFI-580 pads were kind of rough my main issue was the depth of the cups and the super thin mesh inside them.
How would the Pro 900 cups compare to D5000 cups in terms of depth?

The pad depth, which is what I think you are asking about, is deeper on the D5000.  The Pro900 never seemed too shallow but they are not deep, as the pic from Malevolent shows. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #1,045 of 1,853
Guys, there's a Denon D7100 on the for sale board for $400. A true Basshead phone with comfort. Lowest price I've ever seen.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,046 of 1,853
Guys, there's a Denon D7100 on the for sale board for $400. A true Basshead phone with comfort. Lowest price I've ever seen.

Nice!

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,047 of 1,853
In Poland 2nd hand you can get even for 360$ - the price is dropping drastically recently.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,050 of 1,853

I had trouble replacing pads on it, due to it's little bump/lip. 

@gelocks , did you find the Lawton tuning (cups) increased the bass output of your D5000?

Actually, I think Hawaiibb had a video up on how to easily replace pads on the JVC's... I felt dumb after watching! LOL very easy to do.

And no, I didn't necessarily found the bass to be increased but more controlled, in fact, the "looseness" in the sub-bass especially was a bit tamed and it felt faster than it was when stock. Take that and less peaky highs and you pretty much had an almost perfect headphone (to my ears). I sold it because I really didn't use it much due to sound leakage (I don't listen to my headphones too much at home, I rotate my closed-back every few days and take them to work.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back