The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,021 of 1,853
If you're going with the X1, being an open back, there's some things you need to know: bass extension is weaker, bass can get a bit loose at times (Q40's bass is tighter IMO). Apart from that they're excellent cans that are an upgrade from the q40's in terms of timbre, soundstage, smoothness and fun.

BUT, if you're looking for quality bass, then why don't you check out the HE-400? I'm surprised no one mentioned them yet..

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,022 of 1,853
If you're going with the X1, being an open back, there's some things you need to know: bass extension is weaker, bass can get a bit loose at times (Q40's bass is tighter IMO). Apart from that they're excellent cans that are an upgrade from the q40's in terms of timbre, soundstage, smoothness and fun.

BUT, if you're looking for quality bass, then why don't you check out the HE-400? I'm surprised no one mentioned them yet..

I forgot to mention those, but those are an option as well. I haven't heard too much about them though, so I am unsure about them. I see you have the Q40s...what would you recommend more than anything?

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,024 of 1,853

You listen with your what?

I was talking about the dude who wants a upgrade from his Q40's so i say buy those damn good ATH WS99
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried the lesser variants and they're nice, but honestly the build quality is trash. I might give them a try with an amp though, I do recall some nice textured bass.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #1,026 of 1,853
I forgot to mention those, but those are an option as well. I haven't heard too much about them though, so I am unsure about them. I see you have the Q40s...what would you recommend more than anything?

I can't comment on the He400 as I haven't heard them personally, but many praise them as the kings of bass texture and extension in mid-fi.

The x1, otoh, I can easily recommend. This is a headphone any bass lover would like. I really enjoyed their overall tone and sound signature, it's very fun and energetic with a rolled off high end to smoothen things up a bit, but you don't miss out on any clarity.

As to whether you should get the he400's or X1's,,maybe a person who has heard both could chime in ..

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,027 of 1,853
I can't comment on the He400 as I haven't heard them personally, but many praise them as the kings of bass texture and extension in mid-fi.

They pretty much are, and for the US $ you can get them for grab them....they have something the 400i don't seem to have....good for EDM though not really so much with a lot of vocal stuff....there is a wonkiness in the mids to them that is masked with EDM and a treble spike....but the workarounds is all covered in the 400 thread.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,029 of 1,853

The x1, otoh, I can easily recommend. This is a headphone any bass lover would like. I really enjoyed their overall tone and sound signature, it's very fun and energetic with a rolled off high end to smoothen things up a bit, but you don't miss out on any clarity.

As to whether you should get the he400's or X1's,,maybe a person who has heard both could chime in ..

Have you tried the X1s? If so, how does the bass quantity relate to the Q40s? I'm sure I can get what I am looking for with an E12 and these settings: http://tinypic.com/r/2m5dz5l/8 but I just want to make sure the quantity is at least decent.

They pretty much are, and for the US $ you can get them for grab them....they have something the 400i don't seem to have....good for EDM though not really so much with a lot of vocal stuff....there is a wonkiness in the mids to them that is masked with EDM and a treble spike....but the workarounds is all covered in the 400 thread.

I would need more info on the HE-400s overall to get a good idea of what they'd offer, that and if they are going to be discontinued and offer no warranty support then I'm not going to consider them.

I was looking at the frequency response chart for the HE-400s and stumbled across a thread on here that is comparing the HE-400s to the AKG Q701s...does anyone know anything about these? They are cheaper and seem to be similar to the HE-400s but are not planar. Judging by the Amazon description they seem to fit what I am looking for, but leave the question of how impactful is the bass and what is the quantity like.

I really appreciate all of the help so far, none of you had to help but you did. Glad I found this forum, all of you are very helpful and kind. :)

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,034 of 1,853
Have you tried the X1s? If so, how does the bass quantity relate to the Q40s? I'm sure I can get what I am looking for with an E12 and these settings: http://tinypic.com/r/2m5dz5l/8 but I just want to make sure the quantity is at least decent.

I would need more info on the HE-400s overall to get a good idea of what they'd offer, that and if they are going to be discontinued and offer no warranty support then I'm not going to consider them.

I was looking at the frequency response chart for the HE-400s and stumbled across a thread on here that is comparing the HE-400s to the AKG Q701s...does anyone know anything about these? They are cheaper and seem to be similar to the HE-400s but are not planar. Judging by the Amazon description they seem to fit what I am looking for, but leave the question of how impactful is the bass and what is the quantity like.

I really appreciate all of the help so far, none of you had to help but you did. Glad I found this forum, all of you are very helpful and kind. :)

Yes, I have. Don't worry, there's plenty of quantity (and quality), maybe not as much as the Q40's but definitely very bassy for an open back. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the x1's.

Regarding the Q701, if your looking for bass, stay away from these. I've owned the old k701 (essentially the same without the detachable cable) and while it excelled at acoustic/orchestral/classical, they suffered in the bass where they couldn't deliver any punch nor impact nor extension, which made it a problem for 70% of the genres I listen to. Also they are incredibly amp picky so match them up with a bad amp and you'll hate the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back