The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,276 of 1,431
Ah thanks, ive been thinking about giving it a little nudge in the stretch department, i think its the lack of padding on the headband aswell, i shouldnt of had the HD558s the week before, getting me used to pure comfort! 
mad.gif

Re: dac/amp, wouldnt i need a new sound card aswell?

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,277 of 1,431
Quote:
Ah thanks, ive been thinking about giving it a little nudge in the stretch department, i think its the lack of padding on the headband aswell, i shouldnt of had the HD558s the week before, getting me used to pure comfort! 
mad.gif

Re: dac/amp, wouldnt i need a new sound card aswell?

Yea, they get way more comfortable with the stretch. Prior to this the headband on mine really weighed and dug into my head, but after this it feels great. No sound card needed. Most dac/amp combos like the Fiio e17, e10, HRT headstreamer, Audioengine D1, etc use usb. A powered usb is preferable for cleaner power but not necessary. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,278 of 1,431
Im starting to warm to the M50s, comfort is a little better, dont know if its the burn but seems to be dealing with guitar based music a little better now.  The DT770s still havent arrived and which ever i pick was going to be my xmas pressie so im thinking of cancelling that order now. Especially with the long term view that these will be my on the go closed phones and in another year are so ill get some open Senns, hopefully 600 or 650s.

But anyway focusing on the present, sticking with the M50s as my all round cans, im happy just powering straight from my ipod on the go.  But for for home, first of all, the lead is easily long enough for listening to music at my computer, but i could do for an extension cable for using when im watching TV on my bed (i use a super long HDMI to go from my PC to my TV) and its just a little too short, so im not sure if i need anything too expensive as it'll just be for TV/Movies.

Secondly, for listening to music at home i want to be powering them the best i can (within budget of course) - now they already sound better going through my Sharp SG 315E

(not my photo, just googled)

I have them linked up to my tower speakers from my PC via phono cables, and then i plug my headphones in when its late on.

Now is this an okay set up or am i better getting one of these USB headphone amps?

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,279 of 1,431
Hi everyone !

I'm thinking about buying a Rocoo P which I would pair with my Ath M50. Do you think this would be a good match ?

Thank you very much :)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year :)

PS: Sorry for my english...

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,281 of 1,431
I'm so freaking tempted to pick up a pair of these for portable use. My search for a new portable solution so far has left me frustrated with how over crowded the IEM market is right now. Competition is a good thing but my god.. there are so many crap IEM's and FOTM's out there.

I know this is an appreciation thread but I have to ask. Is there any other portable full size headphone worth getting over the M50's?

- Budget is $200

- Has to be closed back

- Decent sound unamped

- Build quality that will out live any IEM

- I listen to EVERYTHING so an all arounder like the M50's would be nice

Feel free to talk me into getting the M50's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on these even if they fall under my budget. AT seems to have got it right with these.

The M50 is a great option and you will have some leftover money but if you are willing to spend all 200, check out the Logitech UE6000/9000 thread.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,282 of 1,431
I got my M50s on December 27th. Love them. Currently only using on-board sound, but planning on getting a FiiO E10 for my desktop/laptop. They sound excellent for classic and progressive rock, which is what I mainly listen to. They could be a little more comfortable, but I'll take the excellent isolation for when I'm on a bus or something.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #1,283 of 1,431
Quote:
Are there any pics of people with these cans on their neck? I need to know how... "neckable" they are.

Wow, I was just scrolling through the thread and I totally forgot I made this post a long time ago... I was like "holy ****... that's me..."

Also, I got these cans and I enjoy them for long gaming/mixing sessions.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,284 of 1,431
re: case.

I was about to get the Slappa case, but it looks so snug that it might shape the phones tigher again once ive just got them to optimum comfort, anyone used them before?

Im between

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLAPPA-HARDBODY-HEADPHONE-CASE-/400362886880?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item5d377cd6e0

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/headphone-case-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-M30-M40-M50-M-30-40-50-monitor-Headphones-/181000474076?pt=UK_Vinyl_CD_DJ_Bags_Cases&hash=item2a24780ddc

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,289 of 1,431
I happy with the sound of these straight from my ipod, and they sound great through my old amp i have, but when im watching movies the hizz/hum is starting to get abit annoying, so i need a USB DAC for a cleaner sound right?  Whats the best i could get from <£50? I dont mind getting second hand, seems like everyone mentions Fiio E9/10? Looks like they might be a little more than im looking to spend though.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,290 of 1,431
Quote:
I happy with the sound of these straight from my ipod, and they sound great through my old amp i have, but when im watching movies the hizz/hum is starting to get abit annoying, so i need a USB DAC for a cleaner sound right?  Whats the best i could get from <£50? I dont mind getting second hand, seems like everyone mentions Fiio E9/10? Looks like they might be a little more than im looking to spend though.

The E9 is an amp, while the E10 is a DAC/Amp. Better saving up and get the E10, it's a great buy under $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back