The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,246 of 1,431
thinking of buying the m50. does it have very good bass and sound stage?does it need amp or extra sound card rather than the built-in of my motherboard? can anyone give me  link of a good deal around 120$?

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,247 of 1,431
M50s doesn't need an amp. Something simple like the Nuforce uDAC or Headroom Bithead or something similar should suffice since the HP out on computers blow, for the most part. Before I got different pads, I found the bass kinda lacking. Sound stage, I've never been overly worried about.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #1,250 of 1,431
Quote:
I just got mine today. IMO it lacks bass a bit. 

Lacks bass? Good heavens...

What are you trying to reproduce? The impression of sitting inside a kettledrum?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,253 of 1,431
i'd also like to know if anyone is using an aftermarket headband. the stock headband puts a lot of pressure on the middle of my head. looking for something with more cushioning.

edit: called sennheiser usa to order the HD650 headband pad. but its not something they stock and would take about 30days. instead i went with the HD600 pad. hopefully this alleviates the pressure.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #1,254 of 1,431
Quote:
I just got mine today. IMO it lacks bass a bit. 

Get the Beyeredynamic COP, you won't be dissapointed! 
beyersmile.png

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,257 of 1,431
Can't believe it took me an entire year on head-fi to finally succumb and buy the illustrious ath-m50. I'm so glad I did 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #1,258 of 1,431
Just thought I'd mention that I went back to the Audio Technica ATH-M50 a third time now - this time it is to hold me over until the release of the AKG K267 Reference DJ Headphones, and so I can compare these to them.

I will say this now though, while other headphones may have better sound or better build, they never have both, and they are NEVER as versatile as these beauties. 

Mine are a modified detachable cable version of the white color variant. Loving them.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #1,259 of 1,431
Guys, if anyone could let me know. Is it normal for the stock pleather pads to... rotate if you just hold them, not too tightly, and rotate your hand? Because mine are super loose, if I grab one side of the headphones they'll start rotating, which doesn't look like it should be happening on oval-shaped drivers. If I tighten up the grip a bit more they'll even rotate 90º, to where they're completely out of sync with the driver in terms of shape. 
Is this normal or?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back