The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,261 of 1,431
Phew, that scared me. Thanks then, but I still find it really weird. At least I guess it'll make it easier for me when I start getting different pads.

Loving them, by the way. The sound only really blew me away on a few particular genres, generally lows-oriented, even though it was clear in the rest and the mids can be fixed with some EQ. But the practicability, fit, looks and especially comfort are just top notch to me. They do clamp quite hard right after you just get them but it goes away in the matter of a day or two. Can't really speak of burn in yet.

Also, your ears do get rather warm and you'll sweat if you don't let them breathe on occasion. I have no problem whatsoever with this since I've no issue moving them around a lil bit every hour or so. The pads would also get all cracked and stiff if I didn't do this, so it's kind of a
nobrainer.  

Either way, in the end I actually appreciate the heat (for now), since it's getting pretty cold here in Portugal.

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,262 of 1,431
What's up guys...I just threw down my first post in this same forum re: the Sony MDR-V6....Maybe I should ask here too.

I've had these M50s in my Amazon cart for over 2 months but just can't pull the trigger.  My main question: how do these compare with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones???

The thing I like about the Sonys are the decent bass and "sparkly" mids and highs.  The VModas which I accidentally purchased disappointed me because the highs and mids seemed to be muffled and turned down.  Seems a lot of the pricier headphones are like this.  

Anyone with experience in either of these headphones can agree or at least understand what I'm trying to say?  

More importantly, do you think the M50s are what I've been looking for???

THANKS!

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,263 of 1,431
there is a slight buzz coming from my left driver at higher volume. is my driver blown? has anyone else encountered this issue?

I had the same problem, but it was the right driver. After a few days, I do not know how this happened, but the right driver suddenly stopped working and it worked again after a while, but totally blown. No soundstaging whatsoever from the right side, everything just came from the centre, and it's a lot louder than usual too.

I had sent it for RMA few weeks ago. I got to be more careful next time, and I need to remind my siblings (who uses them more than I do before this happened) to be more careful too.

Well, but let's hope yours won't end up like me. Have you tried listening to both drivers one by one and try it with other sources? Sometimes the audio jack could be faulty too.

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #1,264 of 1,431
What's up guys...I just threw down my first post in this same forum re: the Sony MDR-V6....Maybe I should ask here too.

I've had these M50s in my Amazon cart for over 2 months but just can't pull the trigger.  My main question: how do these compare with the Sony MDR-V6 headphones???

The thing I like about the Sonys are the decent bass and "sparkly" mids and highs.  The VModas which I accidentally purchased disappointed me because the highs and mids seemed to be muffled and turned down.  Seems a lot of the pricier headphones are like this.  

Anyone with experience in either of these headphones can agree or at least understand what I'm trying to say?  

More importantly, do you think the M50s are what I've been looking for???

THANKS!

If you think those headphones you had tried just doesn't suit you, the M50 might be a good choice. Unlike the others, the M50 is target to the listeners who prefer flat, non-pre-EQ'd (or having it's own unique sound signature) sounding audio. The M50 isn't really flat (and almost no audio gears are able to reproduce a completely flat audio, as far as I know). It's kinda bassy, but very well controlled.

You can play around with your source(s) equalizers and try making it sounding to how you want it. As for me, I do not use any equalizer on the M50 as I want to hear it's own definition of 'flat' audio.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #1,265 of 1,431
Im looking for some new headphones, I bought the HD558s but there wasnt enough bass for me.  So im looking at ordering some M50s, DT770s and possibily some HFI-580's.

But i keep reading about this new model of M50's that has less bass, is it really obvious? Or if i never listened to the originals am i not going to really notice any different?  Because i'd much rather buy new but if the difference is huge i guess i could look into getting some used ones.

Thanks for any help

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,266 of 1,431
Quote:
Im looking for some new headphones, I bought the HD558s but there wasnt enough bass for me.  So im looking at ordering some M50s, DT770s and possibily some HFI-580's.

But i keep reading about this new model of M50's that has less bass, is it really obvious? Or if i never listened to the originals am i not going to really notice any different?  Because i'd much rather buy new but if the difference is huge i guess i could look into getting some used ones.

Thanks for any help

The M50 has less bass than the HFI-580 but imo the M50 is a much better all rounder with it's sweet mids and slightly elevated highs and bass. The HFI-580 sounds screechy by comparison. The dt770 pro with some decent eq is your best bet. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,267 of 1,431
Thanks for the response, my M50's are here and I love them, so much better bass than the HD558s i had, and really comfy (even though id prefer those sexy velour pads) 

I like how its more portable that the other phones i have tried, and the coiled wire is great for on the go (which leads on to my next point) it sounds GREAT straight from my ipod, first proper full size phones i have tried that have done that.  I think i'll forget the HFI580s as these have enough bass for me, and i can bump it even more through my amp if i need to.

I still have the DT770s on order (waiting to come in stock) i was thinking about cancelling it since how much i love these.  They're both literally the same price so money isnt a factor, since i would like to use these on the go aswell as at home, am i right in thinking im better with these M50s? Since the beyers look huge and have a long wire, or is the SQ improvement worth those cons?

edit - i should also point out after a while some of the mids/highs become abit 'piercing'? im guessing/hoping it smooths out after the burn in? 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,268 of 1,431
Compare the dt770 with the M50 when they come in. IMO they do a few things better than the M50 like soundstage and instrument separation. But the M50 still has sweeter mids. Spend some time with both :D Leave the M50 playing pink noise overnight to burn in and get rid of that sibilance. Simplynoise dot com is a good site

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,269 of 1,431
Thanks PanamaHat, i think thats probably the nest thing to do, i have 7 days to return the DT770s, just take a hit on the postage back.

3hrs in with the M50s and hell this clamp is abit more tighter than im used to! Hopefully just like the audio it'll get smooth and loosen over time? haha

Definitley going to leave it playing the pink noise overnight then if it'll help get rid of the sibilance, if that could go aswell as the rest of the audio clearing up slightly along with the headband loosening up abit to give my skull and jaw a break then i think i've found some keepers!

edit #2 - (4hrs) wow, dunno if ive had a long day but im starting to get a headache, nut sure if its the clamping or just my ears getting used to a closed can (always gone for open in the past) - hope its neither and im just tired!

Also its AMAZING for music like Frank Ocean, Weeknd, Kanye, Kendrick, and more Elec stuff like TNGHT, M83 and Grimes, still feels slightly lacking in guitar based music like Tame Impala, Silversun Pickups etc, again, hope this gets better with burn in.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,270 of 1,431
Thanks PanamaHat, i think thats probably the nest thing to do, i have 7 days to return the DT770s, just take a hit on the postage back.

3hrs in with the M50s and hell this clamp is abit more tighter than im used to! Hopefully just like the audio it'll get smooth and loosen over time? haha

Definitley going to leave it playing the pink noise overnight then if it'll help get rid of the sibilance, if that could go aswell as the rest of the audio clearing up slightly along with the headband loosening up abit to give my skull and jaw a break then i think i've found some keepers!

edit #2 - (4hrs) wow, dunno if ive had a long day but im starting to get a headache, nut sure if its the clamping or just my ears getting used to a closed can (always gone for open in the past) - hope its neither and im just tired!

Also its AMAZING for music like Frank Ocean, Weeknd, Kanye, Kendrick, and more Elec stuff like TNGHT, M83 and Grimes, still feels slightly lacking in guitar based music like Tame Impala, Silversun Pickups etc, again, hope this gets better with burn in.

Excellentt taste in music :D check out some Django Django and Dan Deacon or some Flosstradamus

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,273 of 1,431
Try a different source. If you are getting L/R audio is is not the headphone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,274 of 1,431
CLAMP.

2 days in, still have sore jaws, this loosens up eventually right?!

Also, set up.  I know these aren't phones that need amping, but at the moment at home im running them through an old turnable/amp combo straight into the onboard sound, is it worth getting a sound card and a headphone specific amp?

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,275 of 1,431
Quote:
CLAMP.

2 days in, still have sore jaws, this loosens up eventually right?!

Also, set up.  I know these aren't phones that need amping, but at the moment at home im running them through an old turnable/amp combo straight into the onboard sound, is it worth getting a sound card and a headphone specific amp?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/493838/stretching-your-m50s-for-less-clamp-and-much-more-comfort

Don't stretch it too far, you still want a good seal. A cheap dac/amp like the Fiio e10 would be far better than onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back