The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,096 of 1,431

Quote:
Is there any other way to definitively tell whether you have the new or old versions. I bought mine in the summer of 2010 but don't have the box. Maybe if I saw pictures of the two different boxes I would be able to remember which one it was. Not a huge deal, I was just curious is all.

I'd also like to see some graphs comparing the new and the old. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #1,097 of 1,431
Well ive had the M50's for about 2 months or something, amp-ing them with the pas2v2 and schiit asgard using HRT music streamer dac and for the first time using it for tons of music and movies, i have noticed the recessed mids. This happened while watching Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the ring. Bass was awesome, Treble was reaching a bit sparkly, maybe reaching too bright but the mids... they were not present. really wierd. felt really empty. maybe the movie is just too old or maybe its just missing mid orginally but this is where i first noticed the recessed mids. idk but the treble is actually reaching shirll levels... maybe my player is just not up to stuff.

Time for an upgrade! haha
I love head-fi and being an audiophile! (even if im still noobish and in the mid-fi stage).

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #1,098 of 1,431

Quote:
Well ive had the M50's for about 2 months or something, amp-ing them with the pas2v2 and schiit asgard using HRT music streamer dac and for the first time using it for tons of music and movies, i have noticed the recessed mids. This happened while watching Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the ring. Bass was awesome, Treble was reaching a bit sparkly, maybe reaching too bright but the mids... they were not present. really wierd. felt really empty. maybe the movie is just too old or maybe its just missing mid orginally but this is where i first noticed the recessed mids. idk but the treble is actually reaching shirll levels... maybe my player is just not up to stuff.

Time for an upgrade! haha
I love head-fi and being an audiophile! (even if im still noobish and in the mid-fi stage).

As a temporary fix (esp if you use it on the computer) is EQing. Some people (like me) go for the extreme and do a complete parametric equalization that fully neutralizes the headphones, but that's not necessary if you are just looking to fill up the mids.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,102 of 1,431
So I've just listened to a M50 (not burned in) for the first time.  I am surprised that it doesn't have as much sparkle as I expected, even though the highs extend fairly well.
I wonder if my understanding of "sparkle" is not correct.  I've always interpreted that as the ringing sound from instruments like triangle or xylophone.  Is that correct?
And why does it have good high extension but little sparkle?  Is sparkle more than just high?  Does it take some reverberations and harmonics to make a sparkle really stand out?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,103 of 1,431
I can't wear my M50s for more than 2 hours without my ears hurting (my ears are slightly bigger than the pads), so I let my sister use them for a while. I'm thinking about swaping the pads, any recommendations?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,104 of 1,431
I might get the white M50 as my beater can. :)

That would complete the full set of M50s in my family. Brother has the black one, stepfather has the Silver Limited Edition...

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,105 of 1,431
Here's a song from bright eyes.   (lossless sample)

Never heard that slight buzz behind the recording untill I got my ATH-M50's.  Can any1 else hear it?

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c7860208.html

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,106 of 1,431
Quote:
I can't wear my M50s for more than 2 hours without my ears hurting (my ears are slightly bigger than the pads), so I let my sister use them for a while. I'm thinking about swaping the pads, any recommendations?

I have heard about a number of different options for ear-pads. But I haven't tried any.
For pleather, some recommend the Shure SRH-840's pads. They say that it can reduce the bass boominess and bring out the mids slightly.
For velour,  I have heard about people recommending the Beyerdynamic DT 250's earpads. Velour is soft and much more comfortable, but it is known to reduce isolation.
  I have seen more threads on the subject, but I just can't find any of them anymore. Except for this one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50
  I hope it will be useful! 
redface.gif

Now..on the subject of the M50's earpads. What are the stock earpads like on your M50s, fellow appreciators? Mine are incredibly stiff for some reason. I watched an unboxing video featuring the M50, and they seemed to have much more pliable earpads. I'm thinking about buying a replacement pair of pads. Is it a good idea?

Quote:
That would complete the full set of M50s in my family. Brother has the black one, stepfather has the Silver Limited Edition...

Wow. If only my family was an M50 family...
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,107 of 1,431
Just wanna mention that The Sound Professionals has both the LE and White M50s.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,108 of 1,431
I don't mind losing a bit of isolation, I only use them at home. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Quote:
  I have heard about a number of different options for ear-pads. But I haven't tried any.
For pleather, some recommend the Shure SRH-840's pads. They say that it can reduce the bass boominess and bring out the mids slightly.
For velour,  I have heard about people recommending the Beyerdynamic DT 250's earpads. Velour is soft and much more comfortable, but it is known to reduce isolation.
  I have seen more threads on the subject, but I just can't find any of them anymore. Except for this one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50
  I hope it will be useful! 
redface.gif

Now..on the subject of the M50's earpads. What are the stock earpads like on your M50s, fellow appreciators? Mine are incredibly stiff for some reason. I watched an unboxing video featuring the M50, and they seemed to have much more pliable earpads. I'm thinking about buying a replacement pair of pads. Is it a good idea?

Quote:
  Wow. If only my family was an M50 family...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back